Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Omeprazole side effects  (Read 6176 times)

holidaylover

Omeprazole side effects
« on: August 26, 2021, 11:20:17 AM »

Hiya
Have been taking omeprazole for nearly two weeks now, not helping much, but wondered if anyone else who has taken it has experienced a kind of funny feeling in their throat and sinuses.  It's a bit like the feeling when you suck a antiseptic lozenge for a cold.  My nose feels really 'clear' if you know what I mean.  Also experiencing sharper pain in centre above stomach. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Omeprazole side effects
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »

I havne't had problems with it after 2 years.  My GP gave it for reflux cough which annoys everyone within ear shot  :o.  Constant throat clearing then a hacking cough.

Why did you begin it, had you tried 'Rennies' etc.?

holidaylover

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »

CLKD
I posted last week with regards to horrible pain at top of stomach in centre, really bad burping(belching), wind, bloatedness, etc, combined with almost continual palpitations.  Doctor prescribed omeprazole.  I'm also taking Gaviscon Advance at times.  Rennie (which I tried initially) did absolutely nothing.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 03:12:19 PM »

The throat and sinus symptoms plus the sharp pain are all common with reflux. It could be that you need longer to get the problem under control . I'm on 40mg at the moment as my symptoms caused by hiatus hernia were not being controlled by the 20mg dose despite having had great success with it for the last two years. I've been on the higher dose for three weeks and the throat and pain symptoms are just beginning to die down a bit.

Taz 

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 03:55:05 PM »

Aah - if U had kept to the same thread I might have been aware .  I found out that the title subject box can be modified so that it keeps 'current' if that makes sense  :-\

Gaviscon  :sick02:

DeeMarie

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 05:24:55 PM »

My doctor told me to come off them as the symptoms I was trying to get rid of were getting worse! I’ve just been taking peptac and so far I’ve been ok for over a week (touch wood)

holidaylover

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 06:16:51 PM »

DeeMarie,  Do I need a prescription for peptac?

DeeMarie

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 07:44:31 PM »

Hi holidaylover, yeah you do, it’s the generic to gaviscon. I was taking this along with omeprazole but the side effects of omeprazole were awful  :'(

holidaylover

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 07:21:44 AM »

Thanks everyone
DeeMarie, I have a phone consultation next week the the Doctor so I'll mention that.  I'll keep taking the omeprazole until then, I keep thinking if I give it a wee bit more time, it might work.  Not too bad yesterday, but once I ate my tea, the palpitations were awful and I've been awake all night with palps and gurgling stomach.  It's exhausting.  I have a problem not knowing what exactly it is nor what I should nor should not eat for the best.  I had a couple of glasses of wine with tea, so don't know if it was what I ate or just the wine! (or both).

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 07:34:46 AM »

Hopefully not the wine ;-) .  Acids will affect the gut which may cause reflux.  Some find that they need to give up alcohol completely  :-\

holidaylover

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 09:37:36 AM »

Oh my goodness CLKD !!!!!  The very thought!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 11:34:34 AM »

:lol:  I swallow capsule at night on my way 2 my 🛀 so that it settles B4 I lay down 🛌.

DeeMarie

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2021, 11:46:16 AM »

Oh that’s good, I would continue to take them then discuss your symptoms with your doctor. The symptoms I had on and off were nausea which lead to loss of appetite, struggled to sleep at times, stomach pain was near enough every day, headaches. I discovered I had a hiatus hernia last month and was told to continue omeprazole 40mg but a couple of weeks later symptoms returned again ( I had been off them for a week due to gastroscopy) It was awful this time round! Called doctor and was told to stop them and continue peptac. I’m hoping that this is the end to the symptoms I had, I’m not a 100% but I do feel better 🤞🏼 I’m watching what I eat too just incase certain foods are triggering it off. Hope you feel better soon and keep us updated 😊

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »

Would smaller meals spread through the day help?

holidaylover

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2021, 12:30:50 PM »

Probably CLKD, and I know that as we don't usually have our evening meal until after eight in the evening this wont be helping at all.  It's the best time to fit in with family commitments so that we all eat together. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4