Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Zoely Pill instead of HRT?  (Read 10265 times)

Molly

Zoely Pill instead of HRT?
« on: August 24, 2021, 02:07:14 PM »

hi guys, my consultant reccommended the pill zoely instead of hrt.

I was previously on 2 pumps then 1 pump of oestragel and on day 15/28 utro. I am afraid to try the pill as i was on numerous pills in the last 30 years, 48 now. none of them agreed with me, always casuing bad mood swings and a feeling of depression.

just wondering on your thoughts :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Zoely Pill instead of HRT?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 03:18:38 PM »

Hi!  what was the cause of the depression?  Was it hormonal?  I would cry buckets the night B4 a bleed, even if a period wasn't due - the rest of the month: a 32 day cycle: I would be fine. 

Would keeping a mood/food/symptom diary B of use?  Which consultant in particular?  If you could see a dedicate menopause specliast in a clinic, U might get advice that will suit you.

CrispyChick

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 04:47:11 PM »

Hi Molly

There's a whole thread about trying the pill instead in our 40s...it was started with a discussion about qlaira (similar to zoley) so if you search on that, you should find it.

Unfortunately not many of us that tried pills (all different brands to be honest) have had much luck - myself included. I am still on the pill but am now trying yet another one.

Can I ask why the consultant thinks this be better for you? I assume hrt is not working??? X

scrubdub

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 11:00:56 PM »

My Gp recommended Zoely or Qilara- he described it has hrt via the back door. I lasted 18 days on the Qilara as I was suffering really bad headache so he pulled me off it and I've ended up with a mirena and gel. The 1st 10 days on it I felt amazing on it then the headache started! Zoely and Qilara are described body identical hormones.
My friend is on Zoely and is managing well with it. Also its a contraceptive so it's free!
It's very much a trial and error process and finding what works for you.

Gilla999

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 07:20:48 AM »

Hi Molly - I took Zoely for 3 months before switching to Lenzetto HRT. It really depends on what your reasons are for the switch. From an Estrogen perspective Zoely contains the same ingredients as in HRT - Estradiol. So for example with Zoely you get 1.5mg of Estrogen which is roughly the same as one spray of Lenzetto. The only real difference between Zoely and HRT is the Progesterone - the Progsterone in Zoely is a synthetic Progesterone that you get a dose of daily (which stops you ovulating) vs using Utrogestan cyclically (if you're still having periods) which is a body identical Progesterone.

For me the Estrogen in Zoely wasn't enough to stop my symptoms, even though it prevented ovulation. I needed a higher dose of Estrogen. If you think the issue for you is that the Estrogen in the gel was too high, then I'm not sure how Zoely would be any better as it is stronger than 1 pump. Having said that you may find that because you're taking a stronger Progesterone in Zoely it balances out the estrogen dominance signs. How long did you give the 1 pump of gel a try for?

As a contraceptive Pill in itself I found Zoely very good in that I had next-to no side effects (I also tried various traditional Pills in my life and couldn't get on with any of them). It is quite relatively gentle and I wish it had existed it in my 20s as a contraceptive method! It just didn't work for me personally on getting rid of my HRT symptoms as I think I needed more estrogen that it could provide.

Hope this helps xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 08:18:11 AM »

:thankyou:  Gilla99

Peri-wrecked

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »

Hi Molly,
I am currently on Zoely pill but I also have the mirena coil in place so my experience may not count.
I was told not to take any break between packages. So I started my 3rd pack a few days ago. I'm not sure about mine yet.......I've had 2 episodes of rage in the last few days and 2 crying episodes. I've also had a very nervous stomach the last 2 days. Now my experience could be clouded by also having the coil in place so I'm getting extra progesterone. I'm going to finish out this packet and return to my GP then for advice.  On the plus side I haven't experienced any headaches on this and I did get headaches on other HRT. I did have some nausea and vomiting at the start but I also suffer with acid reflux so that could be down to that. I guess the only thing is to give it a shot and see how you get on.  I hope it works out for you.

Molly

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 08:38:50 PM »

hi clkd,

sorry yes depression was hormonal. I am seeing a menopause consultant. thank you so much girls for your replies. they have helped alot.
gilla999 thanks for explaining that.  I am having another consultation with her soon so will put this all to her. its all mindboggling to me tbh.

I hear people saying they felt amazing on hrt immediately, and for me i just felt a hell of alot worse, so bad i literally couldn't get up of the couch with tiredness, felt so drugged.  I think i must be very sensitive to drugs or something. :-\

peri wrecked i hope things settle for you, it must be awful having that feeling of rage and crying, you just feel so out of control of your body..hugs to you x

thanks CrispyChick i will look up that thread. i hope this next pill you try is suited to you. a month is long time on a pill that isnt for you.

scrubdub thats interesting hrt via that backdoor. I hope the mirena and gel. is working for you now.

thank you girls x

Gilla999

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 12:14:45 PM »

Welcome to the "sensitive to medications" gang Molly. Aren't we the lucky ones  ::)

Good luck xx

@CLKD   :tulips:

Molly

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 12:56:54 PM »

oh yes Gilla999 such a pain inthe butt!!  ;) x