Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hrt gel advice please  (Read 1988 times)

Knittynora

Hrt gel advice please
« on: August 23, 2021, 01:57:45 PM »

Hi, I posted about my VA last week, its not improving, so I thought I'd research hrt as when I've sat and assessed myself I really think I need to treat the rest of my symptoms. I watched divina and have read loads and I can identify with everything.
I've just plucked up courage to ring the docs, I told receptionist I'd like to discuss hrt with a doc only to be told ring back tomorrow no appointments. So I've requested a telephone call on weds, I think the doc I'm speaking with first diagnosed my VA.
So, I think I'd like to start off with the gel. I'd love to hear from any of you that have tried it  also can it be used alongside the estriol?
Any tried and trusted hrt advice welcome.
Thankyou
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 02:28:45 PM by Knittynora »

Tinkerbell

Re: Hrt gel advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 10:14:10 PM »

Do you mean Oestrogel?

Knittynora

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 05:16:01 AM »

Hi tinkerbell, yes that's the one, I'm just doing my research as I didn't have a clue what is out there

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 12:28:40 PM »

Your doctor will probably have her own 'go to' hrt so you may not have much choice. Transdermal is safer than oral so you could ask for a patch or gel. Unfortunately it isn't possible to know which you will get on with and which you won't so you have to try them.

arc73

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 09:50:48 AM »

Hi there.

I have only recently started using HRT after struggling with VA/early lichen sclerosis and lots of other perimenopausal symptoms over the last year. I had started using Ovestin cream applied directly to the vulva and this helped somewhat so I opted to go further. I requested the Oestrogel as I felt more in control of dosage that way, although I also had to have a Mirena fitted to protect my womb lining. The first few months were admittedly rocky - the Mirena gave me a mega dose of PMS water retention, so I opted to start the Oestrogel slowly (1 pump for a month, before increasing to 2) but I do feel fairly human now and the soreness I was having has greatly improved

Knittynora

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 11:30:49 AM »

Hi arc73, I'm thinking I should ask for body identical? I'm sure when I briefly spoke to doc on phone I said I'm interested in body identical and could swear she said we usually prescribe bio identical patches. Are these safe or should I insist on body identical?

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 01:06:26 PM »

The gel is amazing, I have been on it for 15 yrs, I only use 1 pump a day now and have never had any issues with it. I also use Utrogestan every 6 weeks for uterine protection which is essential if you have not had a hysterectomy.

Dallies

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »

Hi, I found it took the gel took so long to dry and rub in. I decided to change to the spray which drys instantly. Both (for me) work as well as each other though. 👍🏻☺️