Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hair advice ... going grey gracefully!  (Read 3921 times)

Witch hazel

Hair advice ... going grey gracefully!
« on: August 21, 2021, 03:54:03 PM »

Hi all,

I have been colouring my hair almost as long as I can remember.  I have also been cutting my own hair since March last year, as I bought a 2inch clipper comb to use on hubby's clippers, so I give it the once over every couple of weeks and it looks fairly tidy.  However, its time for a colour as its now about 1 inch of grey showing all over, so about half and half.

I am naturally (or should that be originally) a brunette/mid brown'ish, so have been using a mid/copper brown colour, but the grey roots when I need a re-touch are now quite even all over and I am tempted to let the colour grow out completely. I bumped into an ex-work colleague who I have not seen since before the first lockdown this week.  She always had regular red/brown dye, but being at home isolating, with no access to the salon, she has let it go completely grey and natural and it looks lovely.

I did try leaving mine about 6 years ago, but several people asked if I was alright as I guess it made me look ill, or perhaps that I wasn't bothering about myself. 

Would it be an option to perhaps use a blonde/light colour to cover the worst of the grey and let the brown tips gradually "disappear", or would that look silly?  I know you can get colour remover, but I should imagine that is quite harsh on the hair, so a bit wary of using it, plus going completely grey overnight might be a bit of a shock!  If I didn't like it, I guess I would have to wait a week or 2 to reapply a colour.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated  :)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 04:04:51 PM by Witch hazel »

littleminnie

Re: Hair advice ... going grey gracefully!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 04:56:23 PM »

I always think it’s worse going when you have brown hair because it’s a big contrast. Naturally blond people get away with it more.
Have you tried that stuff that you dab on your roots when they are showing through, it’s called Sevich.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 05:22:46 PM »

We have several threads so obviously ladies get worried.  I looked at my mop yesterday and like it.  Years ago I would colour mine over the bath, it looked like murder had been committed  ;D

After that I had hi and low-lights alternately by a hairdresser who came to the house.  5 years ago I decided 2 let it grow out.  Grey hair doesn't 'take up' colour as easily because the hair is courser !  Take advice from a colourist as sometimes it can come out yellow or dull.  Speak to several in your area B4 U decide?

A good cut first.  I'm surprised at how much grey is left on the floor  :o

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 05:25:15 PM »

Yes, naturally fair, blonde hair does hide grey hairs. They just look like highlights if noticed. However, I have a friend who has coloured her hair for years, but the last time I saw her she had let her her go grey. I thought it looked fabulous. A good cut is what matters. Men go grey with grace, so why can’t we? DH is just gratefully that he still has hair! ;D

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »

;D. a slight meander, could someone get my eyebrows into some sense of order  ;D.  White thick hairs, black ones that turn the wrong way - what's that about  ;D; as well as a complete lack of shape  :-X. I've kept my fringe long .......

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 07:21:30 PM »

I was also a serial dyer. Went to the salon every month and had to touch up in between and hate being messed with! With lockdown I had no choice but to have a badger stripe which was horrible. When the salons opened I had my long thich hair all cut into a pixie and now I am salt and pepper. Tbh I'n not sure if I like it, but I do like not having it dyed and the regrowth each couple of weeks and I think its good to be chemical free as it made my hair really dry and brittle.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 09:11:59 AM »

I can tell ladies who have constantly had hair treatment  :-\ ..........

littleminnie

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 11:59:53 AM »

I don’t know anyone that doesn’t dye their hair.  All the 20/30/40 year olds at work all colour their hair.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 12:15:08 PM »

I don't colour these day ;-) >wave< ........... stopped by the time I was mid-50s.  Didn't start until my mid-30s.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 01:22:38 PM by CLKD »

Haydo

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 01:18:24 PM »

I used to have my hair coloured every 4 weeks to my more or less original colour of mid-brown.  Four years ago I had an allergic reaction to the hair dye (same hair dye and hairdresser I’d been using for about 10 years) and was told I shouldn’t dye my hair again!  Horrors!!    Six months of my hair looking awful, and having it constantly cut really short (which didn’t suit me), and I was all grey.   

Now, I can honestly say it doesn’t bother me, probably because I was forced to embrace the grey.   I’ve saved loads of money and don’t stress about my roots anymore.   

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »

That reminded me of how parts of my scalp would sting  :o .......... but once the dye was washed out, I had no problems.  Also, a friend was told not to have her hair coloured if she used a specific shampoo - can't remember which - as the dye wouldn't 'take'!

Perinowpost

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2021, 02:48:55 PM »

I’m blonde and as I’ve got older and got greyer my hair has become lighter and lighter. I have highlights and lowlights only 3 times a year, and the nice thing about it is I don’t get roots x
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 04:23:00 PM by Perinowpost »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2021, 04:07:50 PM »

My DH has gone silver as his Mum did.  There is a ginger gene too ........... I hate 2 tell him how thin he is on top though.  He allows me to trim his eyebrows these days which are darker.  Nostrils he does himeself  :D

daska86

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 08:31:27 PM »

I was brown haired ,which started to go grey in my 30's I had highlights ,then as it got greyer, a blonde mousse. Finally I let it grow out and I'm now white, following my mum and grandma.

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 06:47:03 AM »

I’ve had highlights put in once and you couldn’t se them. Absolutely a waste of money! ;D Other than that, never had my hair coloured. I’m naturally blonde and no visible grey hairs at 67. (Down below is a different story!) I’m lucky in colour, but make up for it in unruly hair! I’ve grown it, so that weight and gravity stop it from looking like bed hair and I have the final say by tying it back ! Now my fringe? Given up on that! Even though it suits me. Too big a battle.
Pages: [1] 2