Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie to HRT feeling awful  (Read 4558 times)

Dawnexe

• First Flush
Newbie to HRT feeling awful
« on: August 21, 2021, 09:01:48 AM »

Hi I’m new here. I’ve been lurking in the background reading lots of posts for information.

I am feeling very despondent atm.

I am 52. 
Jan 20 had a normal,period.  Had 2 UTI’S between Jan and March 20 which ended up with me in severe pain for months. I am being treated for chronic UTI.

I didn’t have a period from Jan 20 to Aug 20 then bled heavily. Since then I have had irregular periods anything from 35 days to 3 month gaps. I’ve currently not had a period since May 21.

My perim symptoms have gotten worse and I’m sure I have vaginal,atrophy and am using oestrogen cream which has slightly improved my symptoms but I’ve been unable to have sex since my awful UTI last year which is very frustrating.

I’ve also,developed low mood and recently flushes but it’s the low mood I find more worrying.

I have done a couple of private blood tests. Last May my Oestrogen levels were 24.  I’ve just redone the test and the result said <44 !

I spoke to my GP Last week who prescribed me oestrogen gel (Sandrena 0.5) and Utrogestan.

I have used the gel for 5 days and I feel,terrible.  It felt like an hour after using it I felt incredibly tired and my head felt like cotton wool with a terrible pressure feeling.  My eyes feel heavy like I haven’t slept for days. I’ve now used the gel for 4 days applied in the evening and my head pain persists and I feel drugged.

I feel so,depressed as I was convinced HRT was going to be the miracle cure I’d been looking for as I’ve felt so low with the Vaginal Atrophy.  Should I keep going to see if the headache goes away or is this dangerous.?

Has anyone else tried Sandrena gel and not tolerated it. I thought maybe I had a virus and it was coincidental but now I’m not so sure. Should I just stop?

Floo36

Re: Newbie to HRT feeling awful
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 09:25:48 AM »

It may be that the dose isn’t high enough yet and your symptoms are Estrogen deficiency symptoms. Sandrena 0.5 is low dose.

Dawnexe

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 12:56:07 PM »

It may be that the dose isn’t high enough yet and your symptoms are Estrogen deficiency symptoms. Sandrena 0.5 is low dose.

I just feel worse since taking it. I know it’s only 4 doses so far and maybe it’s coincidence but I feel muzzy headed and exhausted.

Pippa52

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 01:03:56 PM »

Dawnexe -  my heart goes out to you I am so sorry you are feeling so rough.  Starting on HRT can cause side effects and it can take about 3 months sometimes to level out the Menopause consultant I saw told me.  As others have rightly said the key is to get the dose right and that can require a bit of fiddling about as everyone re-acts to and absorbs things differently.  I do hope you start to feel better soon - maybe have another chat to your Dr about the dose?  I was on Oestrogel for over 20 years but recently changed on to Lenzetto spray which I find works better for me but  I know many prefer the gel it's what works for you that matters.  xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 01:40:22 PM »

HRT isn't an instant cure.

Has your urine been sent for testing in a Lab.?   Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads on the Forum. Make notes ;-). There. is specific treatment which will ease symptoms.  VA can mimic urine infection-type symptoms really really well.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  To chart progress. Let us know how you get on.