Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Any advice  (Read 2757 times)

DeeMarie

Any advice
« on: August 18, 2021, 07:58:29 AM »

For a few months I’ve been taking Omeprazole prescribed by my gp. It was upped to 40mg due to my symptoms. I’ve since found out I have a hiatus hernia and was told to continue omeprazole but the last few weeks I’ve never felt so ill with nausea, retching, stomach pain, lack of sleep, some days loss of appetite list goes on! Spoke to gp and have been told to stop Omeprazole for a week and stick to peptac. Now I’m worried I’ll be worse! Anyone had simile symptoms with being on omeprazole and what were the side affects coming off? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated  :-*

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Any advice
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 09:14:18 AM »

Did I read a similar query yesterday or .......  :-\

What is 'peptac?'   There may be rebound reflux with something to layer the gut lining. 

What is being done about the hiatus hernia, common during peri-menopause.  As oestrogen levels drop, muscles may become lax.  All over the body.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 10:44:55 AM »

My OH had awful sickness on omeprazole,he was on them for a week,he's never been physically sick in 40 years but he had dreadful sickness with these,yet I'm ok on them 🤷‍♀️

DeeMarie

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 12:15:02 PM »

What is 'peptac?'   There may be rebound reflux with something to layer the gut lining. 

What is being done about the hiatus hernia, common during peri-menopause.  As oestrogen levels drop, muscles may become lax.  All over the body.
Peptac is the generic to gaviscon. Nothing was mentioned about the hiatus hernia so in limbo. To try this for a week then get back in touch. So frustrating!

DeeMarie

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 12:18:41 PM »

My OH had awful sickness on omeprazole,he was on them for a week,he's never been physically sick in 40 years but he had dreadful sickness with these,yet I'm ok on them 🤷‍♀️
I guess they work ok for some. I was fine at the start but the symptoms I was trying to get rid of kept coming back. Persevered but with getting bouts of nausea thought it must be the omeprazole. It’s the worst feeling  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 12:30:16 PM »

Are you feeling better today?

Taz  :)

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 12:52:44 PM »

The Dr told my OH that because omeprazole is an inhibitor it stops the acid from coming up but with my OH it lay in his stomach and basically he brought up a whole lot of acid (sorry) some people just can't take them

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 04:35:21 PM »

:-X ........... I have used "Rennies" with success in the past for indigestion as well as DH rubbing my back to move the wind around.  I have been prescribed 'omeprazole' for the reflux annoying cough, anytime from mid-afternoon ...........  >:(

Milk of Magnesia liquid helps too.  Old fashioned but it helps my gut.

DeeMarie

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 08:44:42 AM »

The nausea is definitely the worst 🤢 I could have put up with the other symptoms but I couldn’t handle being like that any longer. Funny how it works for some and not others.

DeeMarie

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 08:45:34 AM »

Are you feeling better today?

Taz  :)
Felt much better, thanks Taz. Fingers crossed!

DeeMarie

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »

The Dr told my OH that because omeprazole is an inhibitor it stops the acid from coming up but with my OH it lay in his stomach and basically he brought up a whole lot of acid (sorry) some people just can't take them
Looks like I may be one of them. Hopefully the peptac will keep it at bay.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 12:04:03 PM »

Omeprazole reduces the amount of acid being produced by blocking off the cells (protons?)that produce the acid in the stomach wall. This is why it makes you more susceptible to stomach bugs as the acid plays a big part in killing off the bugs before they can get a hold. It inhibits the production of acid. It doesn't stop it coming up as such but does reduce the amount.

Taz