Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: What are the definitions of the stages of menopause?  (Read 1697 times)

Jellyb

What are the definitions of the stages of menopause?
« on: August 17, 2021, 08:57:41 PM »

I get a bit confused as to what stage I am at. So, could someone please clarify how you define each of these:-
Perimenopause
In menopause
Post menopause

Haven't had period for over 10 years as had ovaries removed. Am on HRT.
Thanks!

Dotty

Re: What are the definitions of the stages of menopause?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 07:52:10 AM »

Hi perimenopause is the time leading up to menopause when “things” start to happen. Periods May get heavier or lighter…. Longer or shorter…. And the time between periods May get longer or shorter.

Post menopause is when you’ve gone 12 months without a period.

In menopause doesn’t really have a definition . xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 08:00:31 AM »

Hi there - there is a paper which classifies the different stages medically and I will post a link for you. There is no such term as "in menopause". There is peri-menopause and post-menopause but the years around the time of the last period are also called the menopausal transition.  This is partly because you do not know when you are post-menopause until 12 months after your last natural period which many women do not experience either due to ovary removal as in your case or because they start HRT, amongst other reasons.

in your position you might get an idea of when your natural menopause would have been from your age and the stage of menopause you were at before your op - but in reality you may never know. I don't because I started HRT at age 53/54 - 5 months after my previous natrual period - but they were very sporadic so I guess I wasn't far off.

This is the paper:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3580996/

If you have ovaries removed - as you did - then you are most definitely post-menopause - this is termed surgical menopause if it happened before natural menopause. Some people use the term "in menopause" colloquially - to mean post-menopause.

As a result you will no longer experience any natural (reproductive) hormonal fluctuations of any significance - and any  sdie effects or symptoms you are feeling are either a result of HRT, or additional consequences of your op ( eg testosterone depletion), or some other reason.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

PS I see Dotty replied while I was writing this!

Jellyb

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 08:50:33 AM »

Thanks both Hurdity & Dotty
I was in my late 30s when I had my ovaries removed and went into surgical menopause.  So, I am post-menopause, which seems a strange term to be "post" something when you are still going through it!  Hey ho!
Thanks for clarifying.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »

Morning.

'menopause' - literally means last menstrual bleed.  My periods waxed and waned for several years, I would be regular then suddenly they disappeared; to return in fits and starts.  At least the dreadful pains had gone and the bleeds were lighter.  I can't remember what age I was .......... would have to do sums  ::).  I then had warm itchy skin down my back to the waist after my bath which lasted about 15 mins. as well as itchy insteps when taking off socks at night. 

12 months without a bleed is usually a sign that menopause has happened.  Some however, get a nasty surprise  >:(  ::) so have to begin counting again.

How do you feel overall?

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 09:17:22 AM »

CLKD, do you think periods can restart after,say,  nearly 18 months without a bleed?  Why would this happen?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 09:20:26 AM »

If a bleed happens after 12 months a GPs advice should be sort.  It may be due to fibroids being activated by your own hormones, the ovaries never stop working ....... even those who have had them removed, there is a very small chance that the 'root' attachment remains enough to stimulate them.

If U are worried speak to your GP or Nurse Practitioner, a scan may be organised 2 check the lining of the womb.