Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Told to stop taking Omeprazole  (Read 4168 times)

DeeMarie

Told to stop taking Omeprazole
« on: August 17, 2021, 03:10:46 PM »

For a few months I’ve been taking Omeprazole prescribed by my gp. It was upped to 40mg due to my symptoms. I’ve since found out I have a hiatus hernia and was told to continue omeprazole but the last few weeks I’ve never felt so ill with nausea, retching, stomach pain, lack of sleep, some days loss of appetite list goes on! Spoke to gp and have been told to stop Omeprazole for a week and stick to peptac. Now I’m worried I’ll be worse! Anyone had simile symptoms with being on omeprazole and what were the side affects coming off? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated  :-*

Michelle7474

Re: Told to stop taking Omeprazole
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 03:51:52 PM »

Hi Dee Marie

I have taken Omperzole daily before an stopped taking them & think it took 3 days for body to settle .. as in nausea went away .. my symptoms didn’t appear back straight… however I started taking again in June as burning pain
I started taking again but again like yourself sometimes I wonder if these make me feel worse .. wind bloated and nausea
I take Mine for acid reflux & burning in left side near ribs which they did help both times , but seemed the longer I was on them I felt they didn’t help only with making me all the above more noticeable

You will be fine , you will know it it’s the tablets causing your troubles when you take a break from them
There are other options I believe ..

Let us know how you get on.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 04:30:53 PM »

Sorry that it hasn't agreed with you but hope the doctor has given you an alternative as hiatus hernias don't heal themselves although some people don't get a y symptoms apparently. You can get a 'bounce back' effect when you stop the omeprazole suddenly but this should pass within a few days. What were your symptoms before Omeprazole?

Taz x

DeeMarie

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 05:25:48 PM »

Hi Michelle7474

I am beginning to wonder if these were not suitable at all. These were prescribed before I discovered I had a hiatus hernia and were given for reflux. They did help at the start but the symptoms I was trying to get rid of….reflux, nausea, loss of appetite kept coming back. Eventually my gp requested an urgent gastroscopy and the hernia was discovered. The hospital said to continue with the 40mg and get in touch with gp about a repeat prescription but since last week the nausea, retching, reflux, loss of appetite has been unbelievable. Was in bed most of the weekend which isn’t like me at all but the thought of going through another day feeling ill filled me with dread. I’ve to continue with peptac in the meantime and the gp will phone next week.
Will do…..thank you  :)

DeeMarie

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 05:36:13 PM »

Hi Taz

The symptoms I’ve been having are the ones I’m trying to get rid of  :-\ They were nausea, stomach pains, retching, wind, bloated, being sick occasionally along with diarrhoea. I’ve been on these since May and was upped to 40mg in July when I started feeling the symptoms again  :-\ it’s like it comes and goes every so often. I’m just worried I’ll feel even worse so I feel anxious which doesn’t help. I thought I might have been prescribed something else, have to keep taking peptac in the meantime. I have heard that many people have hiatus hernias with no symptoms so probably don’t even know they have them. Who knows how long mine has been there  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 06:01:45 PM »

When mine was diagnosed I was given 40mg and then had to have another endoscopy to check it had worked before being dropped down to 20mg.

Mine wasn't there on my first endoscopy but was two years later.

Taz x

DeeMarie

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 06:52:16 PM »

When mine was diagnosed I was given 40mg and then had to have another endoscopy to check it had worked before being dropped down to 20mg.

Mine wasn't there on my first endoscopy but was two years later.

Taz x
Nothing was mentioned about another. I had h-pylori 11 years ago and thought it was that, was given triple therapy back then for all I know it could have been there then  :o x