Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Oestrogen dominance - myth or possibility?  (Read 4737 times)

Postmeno3

Oestrogen dominance - myth or possibility?
« on: August 16, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »

Hi there,
Has anyone come across any substantial research or evidence on the above? Does anyone consider themselves to be oestrogen-dominant on the recommendation of a professional? How do you know you are oestrogen-dominant, if comparing what you experience to oestrogen deficiency?
Thanks!
😊

LadyCC

Re: Oestrogen dominance - myth or possibility?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »

Hi there

I consider myself oestrogen dominant.  This is based on Dutch tests I have had done over the past 2 years.  Thats one of the best ways to find out how your sex hormones work but also costly.

https://centrespringmd.com/10-signs-estrogen-dominance/

Floo36

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 08:05:15 AM »

I’m peri i have done a lot of blood tests that were high which led me to believe I had too much Estrogen when in fact I did not have enough and the high readings were just fluctuations.  We are all different in how much Estrogen we need.  I kept reading people talking about Estrogen dominance and I bought into it for a while because I had not been through this before and you go looking for answers. 

Some need a balance of hormones some are great just on Estrogen.  My menopause doctor said you will know when you are starting to get the right amount of Estrogen because of how you feel.  Testosterone can be the missing like for some too. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 08:08:54 AM »

What does 'dominance' actually mean  :-\ ?   Hormone levels rise and fall from puberty in a certain order.  I never thought about mine, simply felt well, awful for a week, heavy periods with intense pain, stopped, felt well. 

As oestrogen levels drop, symptoms may become overwhelming, peri menopause can begin 10+ years prior to periods ceasing. 

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:19:36 AM »

Floo36....yes, the peri fluctuations would be very misleading for you. I think this is why many feel blood tests may not be entirely reliable during this time and might lead to an unhelpful treatment path. I am very postmeno and doing worse on an oestrogen only track than without it which is interesting. Then there is the whole debate about whether Testosterone should be used before oestrogen levels are stabilised!
DHEA might make the most sense for me.
CLKD....oestrogen dominance is just that. The oestrogen is dominating the hormonal cascade because there is too much of it. There may be a relationship with cortisol output, too. Symptoms might worsen rather than improve if there is too much oestrogen as much as if there is a deficiency?
Hopefully Taz or Hurdity will drop by with a view. Elkwarning, too!

Scampidoodle

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 09:08:00 AM »

Pretty sure I’m oestrogen dominant. I know it’s often rubbished as a ‘thing’ but after genetic testing I know I can’t clear estrogen well so it builds up for me causing it to be ‘dominant’

I’m early peri and didn’t know this and was prescribed oestrogel for perimenopause which made me feel so much worse. Looking back my worst symptoms were when my natural E was high and therefore adding extra E just compounded the problem.

A couple of years ago I had a Mirena coil fitted and it really helped balance things. To my surprise as I’m really sensitive fo hormones generally and reacted badly to the pill. After some advice on here I just had one refitted after 3.5 years of the old one to boost things again. Time will tell but ok so far (only had it on Saturday!) x

Scampidoodle

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 09:09:48 AM »

Agree blood tests are confusing as I’ve had E tested on days where it’s been low at 79pmol and 103pmol and I felt great those days. Then I’ve had it tested when it’s higher 432pmol. They’re often totally unreliable!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 10:36:58 AM »

Does the body hold onto hormones   :-\ because of the cyclic effect ...... I'm having a confused morning.  ::)

Scampidoodle

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 11:04:16 AM »

It’s all to do with your individual physiology. Your system (I guess liver is involved and all sorts of other processes) clears toxins, medications, hormones. If these processes are slow or not effective all those things get kind of backed up in the body.

My detoxing ability is v poor so I can only take low doses of most meds, get bad side effects and also reacted badly to oestrogen supplementation. I feel worse in my cycle when my natural E is high because I have too much or at least it’s not effective balanced by P

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 11:20:46 AM »

The medical profession in the UK doesn't seem to recognise it so I would say it's a misleading term. Apart from the very few who are unable to process it it's probably better defined as 'OK, so we've given you oestrogen but there's still an imbalance and you're short of something but we don't know what'. I don't think there's much doubt any untreated post menopausal woman will be short of oestrogen but there are women who need progesterone and/or testosterone too to feel good too - and maybe other things they haven't thought of. Sadly it's an area of medicine where we know far too little.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 11:21:32 AM »

Many are affected by the progesterone part of HRT ..............  :-\ .  Tnx for the Xplanation!

Gilla999

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 11:25:01 AM »

It's real and refers to the ratio of estrogen to prog. It can be either because estrogen soars in early Peri or because your Prog lowers and it makes the ratio off.

My first symptom of Peri was estrogen dominance (confirmed by rhythm hormone tests which are the same as the DUTCH test mentioned, rather than a random blood test which shows very little). My primary symptom was terrible swollen painful boobs from days 14-28 - I mean REALLY painful, to the point I sought medical help. This was because in the latter half of your cycle when Prog should rise as well as estrogen it wasn't for me so the ratio was off and I became "estrogen dominant".

When I stopped experiencing the terrible boobs / estrogen dominance was when my estrogen also began to fall... and that's when all the real trouble started  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 11:41:51 AM »

And yet I've always had swollen painful boobs in the 2 weeks before a period because of progesterone. No tests so perhaps I had an oestrogen spike too but I have it to a lesser extent now on utrogeston when my own body is doing nothing.  ???

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 12:06:25 PM »

Tnx Girls.  Learning every day  ::) what I probably took for granted. 

Gilla999

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2021, 12:52:47 PM »

Sheila I've read that before, that Prog can also cause painful boobs (for different reasons I think it said). Goes to show how everyone reacts to different things in different ways  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3