News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1181 times)

sofabella468

• First Flush
« on: August 18, 2021, 10:53:33 AM »

Hi Folks

I'm new to the site and apologise if I'm asking a question that you've all seen and answered lots of times before lol.

I'm 49 and I've just started to take hot flushes, rang the doctor last week and we agreed I'd just stick it out for the meantime and see how I get on (she recommended I check out this site) . I deal with chronic back pain and I'm on medication for it and I'm not keen to be adding to the daily tablet intake.

Anyway fast forward to me having loads of nights sitting on the settee watching TV with the back of my top wet from sweat, taking lots of hot flushes throughout the day and getting woke up 3/4 times a night from night sweats and I'm thinking how the hell am I going to stick this??? Light cover on the bed, light cover off, roasting hot so everything off including pj's then freezing cold the next minute... arrrhhh! ....needless to say its driving me mad. I'm also very tired, no energy and very emotional.

I just wondered if you lovely ladies have found a herbal remedy that has helped you out before I consider HRT? I know everyone is different but has there been anything that has worked /helped for a few ladies that I could possibly try first?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your time, x😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 11:44:40 AM »

U don't have to 'stick it out'.  Why did your GP suggest waiting when you spoke about symptoms which are troublesome  :-\

Maybe keep a mood/food/syptom diary to chart progress for the next 3 weeks and decide which symptom you would like to ease first.  Get an appt with your GP in the meantime, considering there may be a wait?

Some herbals may help initially but as symptoms wax and wane, any benefit may be lost.

:welcomemm:  browse round.

Mars62

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 12:21:56 PM »

Hi Sofabella
When my flushes started I tried all sorts of herbal remedies over about a year and not one worked just an expensive waste of money >:(
The only thing that stopped them was HRT, gone within a few weeks of starting. As you say everyone is different and some may have had success with herbal remedies but not me. When I went to the doctor about them she initially prescribed anti depressants as my blood pressure was a bit high and was reluctant to give me HRT, I took them for a week and the side effects were worse than the flushes so I stopped them and went to another doctor who was happy to give me HRT! I wasn’t even depressed at the time but she said they could help the flushes ::)
Hope you find something that works for you as it’s so draining to put up flushes day after day.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 04:36:49 PM »

White Coat Syndrome = higher than expected blood pressure in the surgery.  Did your GP suggest buying a self monitor Mars62?

There are many ways of delivering hormone replacement therapy ;-).

sofabella468

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 08:25:33 PM »

Thanks folks

I have to say my doctor was great. I just meant that we agreed it was early days for me to be jumping straight to HRT and as I said I'm reluctant to take more tablets.

I just wondered if anyone had some success with herbal remedies that maybe eased/reduced the number of flushes per day, or could possibly help at bedtime? Actually I'm sitting writing this and taking a hot flush right now.....oh the joys lol.

I just know I'm going to struggle with the disrupted sleep so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of something that helped them?

Thanks for reading and replying, x

Jillm

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 10:40:30 PM »

Helllo sofabella468 and welcome.

I found sage worked to reduce my hot flushes, not completely but enough to help some what during the day. Although the effect was short lived, about 6 months, but worth a try.
For night sweats I used a chill pillow, pop it in the fridge for a while then put it in your pillow case, really helps to keep you cooler.

Haydo

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 08:10:04 AM »

Hello Sofabella and welcome too.

I have only recently joined the site myself and have found reading different threads really helpful.  I also found sage really helped me when I was suffering from hot flushes and night sweats (I’m talking having to get up and shower and putting a bath sheet under the sheet to soak up the sweat).   I was advised against taking HRT and my enlightened doctor at the time suggested trying black cohosh, red clover or sage (not altogether) and sage was the one that did make a difference to me.  Black cohosh and red clover didn’t help me, but we’re all different.   

I’d suggest checking with your dr or reading up about any contraindications before taking any herbal supplement though.