Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Fluid retention and swollen ankles  (Read 2201 times)

Katty

Fluid retention and swollen ankles
« on: August 13, 2021, 11:02:29 AM »

Every time I get on a plane or there's hot weather I get very swollen ankles. This is starting to ruin holidays for me. I drink loads of water am trying to lose weight etc but I was wondering what might be the best tablets to take to eliminate the fluid. On return from holidays the first thing  that happens as I cool down over 24 to 48 hours is that I urinate very frequently and the fluid goes. Can I get rid of this on holiday because it's stopping me walking around? Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Fluid retention and swollen ankles
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 11:58:12 AM »

I would go to speak to a Pharmacist - take a list of your medication and current weight along, they have private rooms so you should be able 2 make an appts..

U may need to elevate the legs of the bed which the Pharmacist might advise you about. 

How warm is the temperature that begins the ankle swelling?  Have U done walking prior to the swelling occurring.  More sitting, chatting  :-\

Katty

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 01:07:20 PM »

I do walking occasionally but it's the heat that seems to trigger it. Temperatures around the 28 to 30 plus Mark. My BMI is 28.5 so in the overweight category. Only 1 medication. Kliovance now. I've recently halved the dose of HRT from Kliofem due to approaching 60 and doctors recommendation due to my age. The fluid retention has been happening for a few years but now it's really ruining things. I get abroad and end up not doing much because it's so uncomfortable.

Obobal

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 03:33:25 PM »

I started to get swelling in my late 20s. I was told in hot weather drink lots of water and be sure to replace lost salts. Also put feet up when you notice swelling. For aeroplanes wear compression socks and don’t take your shoes off!

I’ve also noticed my fingers swell when I walk any distance over 1km and it’s warmer than -5deg. I googled it and it seems it’s a phenomenon quite a few runners/walkers have. It makes wearing rings impossible in summer and while I sleep for some reason. I tend to hold on to the straps of my rucksack instead of walking everywhere with my hands in the air  🙌🏻

I have perfect blood pressure so it’s not related to that. I don’t need water tablets or blood pressure meds and I’m not on medication that has this as a symptom.

I think it’s just one of the joys of ageing. Being overweight doesn’t help but I wasn’t overweight when all this started (I am now!) - it may well be a genetic trait. Thank your parents

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 05:48:37 PM »

Swelling should be investigated  B4 your next fly, as it may be heart related.  Perhaps look at the British Heart Foundation web-site?

You could also ask at your local running group if they have any suggestions to ease symptoms.  Drinking plenty B4 you go into the heat might help. 

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 05:03:50 PM »

Every time I get on a plane or there's hot weather I get very swollen ankles. This is starting to ruin holidays for me. I drink loads of water am trying to lose weight etc but I was wondering what might be the best tablets to take to eliminate the fluid. On return from holidays the first thing  that happens as I cool down over 24 to 48 hours is that I urinate very frequently and the fluid goes. Can I get rid of this on holiday because it's stopping me walking around? Thanks
2L of water a day is enough, you can get too much water or fluid.
I'm not a lover of tablets as first option.
I get swollen ankles and feet, I don't know why.
One GP called it idiopathic oedema, but I like to think there is a cause for everything.
It's gravitational, fluid travels downwards.
Some psychiatric medication caused mine to get really bad so I had to wean off it.
Try drinking when your body asks, 2L is recommended, if you are drinking more, then could that be the reason.
I don't know the reason for mine.