Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Vets  (Read 7427 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vets
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2021, 08:01:57 PM »

Of course. 

How's the mouth jaycee?

C.C.

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2021, 12:45:57 PM »

Mange - fox or .......... my dog had specific baths against fox mange she smelt like a creosoted fence on her return.  If they suggest baths, make sure that they do them !! otherwise it gets everywhere  ;D.  A steroid injection will ease any ithyness until the mange treatment solves the problem.  Does he have ticks?  Mine used to get them when we holidayed in the Lake District: off sheep and/or deer : they are related to spiders  :o so I got to recognise them in their black small critter shape, B4 they took a bite which caused them to swell .........  :-X  ;D. She was blonde though, it was easier and brought out the Hunter-gatherer in me  :D

The day we brought him home, dd and I gave him a bath and we found a dead tick on his chest, but that was the only one. 
He's barking now at random things, and the occasional dog on the other side of the road, which is not what I'm used to. Our other Golden barely woofed her whole life.
Still tired upon waking.  During the night, my mind is filled with some doubt that this will work out.  Ds is tolerating him and dh, though he likes him admitted he didn't want another dog, but is willing to keep him. I know this is only Day 4 and there is lots to work on with him, my worry is when I go back to work in a couple of weeks. Dd has noticed he's become attached to me and how will he manage with me gone part of the day.  I took the kids to the mall for a bit and left the dog with dh.  He texted me and said he was barking and growling and carrying on-separation anxiety I guess. We were gone for a couple of hours. Maybe it was too soon to leave him.

jaypo

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2021, 02:14:40 PM »

It's so difficult sometimes CC,our German Shepherd was a rescue,we got her age 2 and although a good dog,my god,did she bark,it got so bad,it was either,we put her back or we put a citronella collar on her,which we did and it certainly helped,she hated the smell and soon realised the connection between barking and that smell.

My little dog got bloods done today but her heart,lungs and temperature all ok,keeping everything crossed  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2021, 02:38:42 PM »

It's never to early to get into routine.

Does he have a crate?  Time out is important 4 everyone.  Barking can be controlled, it's early so all noise is new.  Also, animals hear differently at ground level and the hearing is much more acute than humans!  Keep him on the lead to check him if he barks, a gentle pull back with a small treat or toy to distract him.  All noises are new, he'll get used to them. 

I suggest: all of you take turns to feed/groom him.  1 takes care of him each day where practical.  He should be encouraged to go onto his bed/crate when you want peace and quiet even if someone sits with him on his lead.  Quietly keeping him placed: I did that with my cocker, 7 months when she bounced in here.  A gentle reminder who is in charge.

Encourage him for fuss when you want it so that he doesn't become demanding or attention seeking.  No up on the furniture, he should never be higher than the 'alpha' person.  Same as he goes through doors when invited: this is your house, he's the guest for the moment.  So the adult in control goes through doors first, he sits until allowed in.  That way if it's a quick visit into the kitchen he learns to wait 2 C what is next on his agenda. Which might be nothing at all.

How is he over his food?  If he begins guarding, feed by hand.  Make him sit, wait, then show him the food: 'take it'.  Same with toys ...........

R U worried that DH will get fed up with the dog, when did this come to light?  Wasn't this discussed in full with contingency B4 you contacted the Rescue?

Mine never wanted one  :'( and I worked myself into the ground trying to keep her on best behaviour.  (long story short). 

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2021, 02:41:16 PM »

Is DH going to be main carer whilst you are working? 

This is new 2 U all.  Of course, when a dog barks at something/dog/person outside it usually moves away from the environment = Job Done!  Barked, it went away, that's what I wanted.  Territorial.  I've been known to stand and bark back at dogs behind the fence opposite  ;D.  It confuses them a bit 'cos I don't go ...........

Was his Vet Check OK?  Temperament alright with yet another stranger?  If he sleeps in the night, that's half the problem cracked.  How old is he?

C.C.

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2021, 03:27:11 PM »

Is DH going to be main carer whilst you are working? 

This is new 2 U all.  Of course, when a dog barks at something/dog/person outside it usually moves away from the environment = Job Done!  Barked, it went away, that's what I wanted.  Territorial.  I've been known to stand and bark back at dogs behind the fence opposite  ;D.  It confuses them a bit 'cos I don't go ...........

Was his Vet Check OK?  Temperament alright with yet another stranger?  If he sleeps in the night, that's half the problem cracked.  How old is he?

I'm at work for 2.5 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon, and home in between.  Dh is home and dd is home, so the caregiving is between the two of them.  He won't be alone while I'm working but dh said he freaked out yesterday when I left the house.  He's good in the house, barking at his reflection stopped with a paper covering the mirror.  Out of sight, out of mind.
Vet check in 3 hours, will post what happened.  The shelter said he's about 3.  He's good when meeting people.  We haven't had him meet anyone new other than 2 neighbours and the contractor that's in and out of the house all day. 
This morning on our walk he barked aggressively at a woman and her baby stroller, who was coming up behind us in the distance.  Dd said he's probably never seen one before and felt threatened or confused.

sheila99

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2021, 04:39:15 PM »

I wonder if the barking when you're not there is also a fear reaction. He's been abandoned at least once in past and perhaps he's scared it's happening again.
Some dogs seem to be 'one person' dogs whilst others are family dogs. We have one of each and I don't think it's anything we've done to make them that way. The one that thinks she owns me gets more and more miserable and stops eating when I go on holiday, the other couldn't care less as long as someone is there.

C.C.

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2021, 05:07:23 PM »

We have the crate from our other dog. The rescue does not recommend crating as most of their dogs have spent their whole lives crated, I'm not certain this dog did, as he had owners.  I can introduce it and see how it goes. I'd rather have that option when we all go out or I'm at work and no one is around.  Since he's so quiet at night he won't have to go in the crate, or, he can if he chooses to. 

We always go in the house first and he has to wait until we open the door. We are working on the sit command in English with the hand gesture. He has had a few successes...yay.

Dh definitely blindsided me. He said we had never discussed it (not true) and he knew how much I wanted a dog so he went along with it. We talked it over and he said it will be ok, and that he's a good boy. Dh has been patient with him considering the unwanted barking and says he's ok to keep him.  Oldest Ds is another story. He has interacted with the dog, but he only does as far as he's comfortable. He was the same with Penny, she understood his moods.

sheila99- that could very well be true.  He wasn't alone when I left so maybe he's one of those one-person dogs. Or there is alot more bonding to be done by everyone else.

jaypo

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2021, 05:25:04 PM »

Yay,Cleo's bloods came back normal,phew,
Vet - that'll be £187 please  >:(

sheila99

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2021, 06:08:56 PM »

Worth every penny to know he's OK
 :ola:

jaypo

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2021, 06:41:23 PM »

Oh I know Sheila,such a relief  :)

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2021, 08:11:28 PM »

They are such a worry  :-\

What did the Vet suggest for Cleo?

C.C. - is DH getting panic attacks as, it's another responsibility after being dog-less for a while.    Sharing care might work.  Distraction 4 the barking which will take a day or two.  You mentioned growling ............

jaypo

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2021, 07:19:01 AM »

Just waiting for two more results from the main vets,cortisol levels and electrolytes,I have no clue what those are for,he reckons they will be ok too,so unless she gets worse, I'll just have to keep an eye on her

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2021, 09:15:22 AM »

Any news jaycee?  We seem to have over run  :scottie: the thread  ::). jaypo - did U go into the Vets.?

jaypo

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2021, 10:40:02 AM »

Yep,heart and lungs ok,temperature ok,bloods ok
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5