Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Driving lessons  (Read 2994 times)

DeeMarie

Driving lessons
« on: August 13, 2021, 05:51:54 PM »

So I’ve decided to pluck up the courage to take driving lessons! Wish I’d done this sooner  :-\ I’ve had 6 so far and seem to be going ok….ish lol Any advice would be gratefully appreciated or any tips  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Driving lessons
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 05:56:35 PM »

Always treat other drivers as idiots!

Also consider that some may be recently bereaved so won't be concentrating fully.

Otherwise: enjoy! 

DeeMarie

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 06:05:46 PM »

Haha that’s true! Some drivers just don’t have the patience when learners are on the road! My instructor is great and really puts my mind at ease but still feel nervous every time I sit behind the wheel but that does gradually go when I start driving. Still getting used to clutch control and going round corners! Thanks CLKD

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 07:59:29 AM »

Ask your Instructor whether he remembers 'double declucth' ........  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 10:22:17 AM »

My DH, retired traffic sergeant, says that when you come to a blind bend, always approach with caution, expecting a wallie to be driving too fast the other way and if there’s not, then it’s a bonus. I live in the country, where the roads are narrow and the number of times this advice has stood me in good stead. My careful driving has saved the day when others think they have X-ray vision!

The other good advice was to be observant when overtaking lorries bunched together on motorways and dual carriageways. Invariably the lorry behind will swing out in your way in order to overtake. Make sure you have somewhere to go. If not, hang back.

And last of all don’t give up if you fail your test! Keep going! Good luck!

DeeMarie

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 06:12:48 PM »

My DH, retired traffic sergeant, says that when you come to a blind bend, always approach with caution, expecting a wallie to be driving too fast the other way and if there’s not, then it’s a bonus. I live in the country, where the roads are narrow and the number of times this advice has stood me in good stead. My careful driving has saved the day when others think they have X-ray vision!

The other good advice was to be observant when overtaking lorries bunched together on motorways and dual carriageways. Invariably the lorry behind will swing out in your way in order to overtake. Make sure you have somewhere to go. If not, hang back.

And last of all don’t give up if you fail your test! Keep going! Good luck!
Thanks Ju Ju I’m determined to keep at even though there are days I think ‘can’t do this’

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 06:37:00 PM »

My mother told me I was an accident waiting to happen. I drove well in my lessons, was encouraged by DH’s colleagues opinion that passing was a foregone conclusion, but Mums voice took over in the tests and someone else took over! The driving instructor, me and friends became very frustrated. What more could they teach me? In my 11th test, (yes, really!) the examiner said,” You know you can drive! I know you can drive! But you have to do the required manoeuvres!”  ;D I passed on my 12th test. A friend recently commented that she couldn’t believe how confident I was immediately, but then I had had loads of driving experience over the years! So, when you get to taking the test, remember me! You can’t be that bad! And 30 years on, touch wood, I haven’t had an accident other than having my wing mirror taken off by a wallie coming round a blind bend. If I hadn’t been driving with care, it would have more serious. So keep going!

applespider

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 11:35:42 AM »

Well done on plucking up the courage to learn.  It is really daunting to get behind the wheel at first.  I recently bought my first car and started driving - I'd passed my test 30 years ago but only really hired the odd car and not at all in the last 10 years.  I took a couple of refresher lessons beforehand just to get back into the swing of it.

I found a really helpful YouTube channel by Conquer Driving who explains WHY you are doing some things rather than just what to do.  It really helped me with getting the hang of manoeuvres again.  The instructor has made lots of short videos (5-10 minutes each) on different topics that you can dip into to 'revise'. 

DeeMarie

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 03:34:23 PM »

My mother told me I was an accident waiting to happen. I drove well in my lessons, was encouraged by DH’s colleagues opinion that passing was a foregone conclusion, but Mums voice took over in the tests and someone else took over! The driving instructor, me and friends became very frustrated. What more could they teach me? In my 11th test, (yes, really!) the examiner said,” You know you can drive! I know you can drive! But you have to do the required manoeuvres!”  ;D I passed on my 12th test. A friend recently commented that she couldn’t believe how confident I was immediately, but then I had had loads of driving experience over the years! So, when you get to taking the test, remember me! You can’t be that bad! And 30 years on, touch wood, I haven’t had an accident other than having my wing mirror taken off by a wallie coming round a blind bend. If I hadn’t been driving with care, it would have more serious. So keep going!
Aww I can imagine that being stuck in your mind. So pleased to hear you passed though! I guess you’ve got to be positive rather than negative although it is hard at times especially if you make silly mistakes, you tend to put yourself down and not think of the positives of the drive, that’s what I keep trying to tell myself! Just wish I’d done it years ago as I was more confident back then but I’ll get there……hopefully!

DeeMarie

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 03:37:59 PM »

Well done on plucking up the courage to learn.  It is really daunting to get behind the wheel at first.  I recently bought my first car and started driving - I'd passed my test 30 years ago but only really hired the odd car and not at all in the last 10 years.  I took a couple of refresher lessons
beforehand just to get back into the swing of it.

I found a really helpful YouTube channel by Conquer Driving who explains WHY you are doing some things rather than just what to do.  It really helped me with getting the hang of manoeuvres again.  The instructor has made lots of short videos (5-10 minutes each) on different topics that you can dip into to 'revise'.
Thanks applespider! Just wish I’d done it years ago but hey ho here we are! It is very daunting, you just expect to turn on the engine and go but unfortunately it’s not the case! Appreciate the you tube videos will check them out  :)

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 06:12:29 PM »

My daughter has had her first lesson (arrrrghhhh) and I'm keeping off the roads. When she drives the tractor in the field she keeps 20 yards away from a sheep so if you see someone driving on the pavement on the wrong side of the road have a look and see if there's a sheep in the field she's trying to avoid  ;D

DeeMarie

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 06:17:35 PM »

My daughter has had her first lesson (arrrrghhhh) and I'm keeping off the roads. When she drives the tractor in the field she keeps 20 yards away from a sheep so if you see someone driving on the pavement on the wrong side of the road have a look and see if there's a sheep in the field she's trying to avoid  ;D

Love this  :lol: