Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Could spotting be due to vaginal atrophy  (Read 1063 times)

lynnietodd

Could spotting be due to vaginal atrophy
« on: August 11, 2021, 10:06:25 AM »

Hi ,
I'm peri menopausal and been on HRT EVOREL SEQUI for 8 months . All was going well but have had bit of a patch fail ( replaced a patch on wrong day .. did this twice within one month ) and have had spotting on and off for 14 days now . I had 4 days without it butting seems to come when straining (def vaginal) I've been told in the past I've vaginal atrophy and not sure if it's this . I've also had a normal smear in oct 2020 and a normal trans vaginal ultrasound in January.( that showed vaginal atrophy and some normal cervical cysts ) I suffer from severe health anxiety and have been prodding a lot with toilet paper . I'm not sure if it's hormonal or due to me irritating the lining . Any advice is greatly appreciated . Lynn xx

Joaniepat

Re: Could spotting be due to vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 10:16:02 AM »

Have you not been given any treatment for the atrophy? You should definitely have some, as it's a chronic condition and is likely to get worse without local oestrogen. Systemic HRT doesn't necessarily help with VA and many need local treatment as well. Don't prod with the tp! 🙂
JP x

lynnietodd

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 10:37:00 AM »

I was given vagifem at time but wasn't told to take that along side hrt . When I got my smear the bleeding was pretty bad due to the stretching etc . When I've been prodding it s like the spotting is coming from a cut or something. I've consulted DR Google and now convinced myself it's vaginal cancer  :'( :'( I'm all over the place with worry and not sure if I need to contact doctor or wait and see if calms down when I stop prodding.
Thank you Joan xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 11:40:42 AM »

Sounds like you need the Vagifem far more than Dr Google! The bleeding probably is from a cut, as the tissues will be fragile from lack of oestrogen. Do start the Vagifem. A decent vaginal moisturiser might help alongside (try the Yes brand's website).
Louise Newson's website My Menopause Doctor is a good resource for all things menopausal, including VA. There is also Jane Lewis's book Me and my Menopausal Vagina (from Amazon), and the private Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group is worth joining. Lots of support there, and lots of info in their files.
JP x

lynnietodd

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 11:58:59 AM »

Thank you JP ,
So do you think I should just let it settle over next few days without prodding or should i contact doc ? Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 12:06:45 PM »

Stop prodding.  If oestrogen levels have dropped the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, scalp, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina - particularly where the tissues become dry, itchy and prone to tearing, hence the appropriate treatment.

Ring your GP and ask for treatment.  You don't need an exam or blood tests.  Let us know how you get on!

lynnietodd

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 12:09:30 PM »

I'll do that .. thank you so much xxx

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 12:28:18 PM »

I think perhaps you could just start the Vagifem, but do ring doc if you need reassurance. They know you've got the atrophy, so might just say to start the treatment.
JP xx