Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Losing weight with menopause  (Read 14748 times)

Yvonne Marie

• First Flush
Losing weight with menopause
« on: August 05, 2021, 09:57:05 AM »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and just wondered is anyone else losing weight rather than gaining weight during menopause?

jaypo

Re: Losing weight with menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 10:47:40 AM »

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I've had a couple of episodes where I couldn't put weight on,every day, I was losing but it was down to anxiety, I now realise,even though I didn't know that at the time,how are you feeling otherwise?

Yvonne Marie

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 11:14:26 AM »

Hi
Thank you for the reply, it makes sense to me regarding the anxiety, I feel anxious all the time, things that would normally not bother me are a huge distress now. I have the usual symptoms of tiredness, hot flashes, low mood. My doctor is trying to get me to take HRT which I am dubious of. I have thyroid issues for years which I'm sure don't help!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 11:22:48 AM »

MayB keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress B4 deciding if/not to take HRT?  It is after all replacement .  Why would your GP suggest it, what did you talk to him/her about?

Browse round.  Make notes  :welcomemm:

Yvonne Marie

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 12:29:09 PM »

That's a good idea, to date I've just been using apps to monitor calorie intake! He feels HRT is the best option for the menopausal symptoms I'm having

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 02:21:42 PM »

R U able to share your symptoms?  Others may have advice too.

Yvonne Marie

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 03:51:26 PM »

I have extreme fatigue, no energy to the point of the smallest task's are a chore to get through also anxiety, sore muscles/joints and no mood to do anything or be around anyone, some days are ok but some are very hard to get through

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »

When I had severe anxiety I didn’t eat much and went off my usual cakes a chocolate so lost weight. Still suffering but not as bad and so weight is stable but not losing any more.

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 05:29:35 PM »

Ah,well there you go,anxiety made me lose a stone in weight in just a couple of weeks,which in turn gave me more anxiety,what a viscous circle it became

Yvonne Marie

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 06:15:32 PM »

Thank you all for the replies that's exactly how I feel, I'm so anxious about losing weight that it's making it worse. Everytime I google the menopause the websites only mention gaining weight which stressed me more, it's so good to know other people have been through the same as me. How did you manage the anxiety? There are days I can't even bear my family in the house with me and don't want to speak to anybody, luckily I am still working from home because of the pandemic.

Michelle7474

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 07:19:57 PM »

Hi
I also lost over a stone & because I had a burning sensation near my  ribs I was thinking oh it’s this and that ..
When I know now it was aniexty as I was off food and lost appitite which stopped me eating a lot of junk
Also I believe my burning sensation was due to aniexty also because no other explanation for it .. I take omzerole daily and it keeps the burning at bay ( again this was a new symptom until I was on HRT .,
I blamed a lot on HRT & I know maybe I had too much that made my symptoms worse I do believe a lot of mine was down to aniexty also

Aniexty is a new thing for me & I can tell you it’s crippling and it’s amazing what it does to our minds and body..

My weight as been pretty steady for few days & I no longer worry about it as it adds to more aniexty
I could do with losing bit extra anyways

jaypo

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 07:48:58 AM »

Yep,that was exactly how I started to lose weight,every little ache or pain,that was it,death was coming for me,then I happened to weigh myself and noticed I'd lost half a stone,every day I weighed myself,every day I lost weight,anxiety can be crippling and for me was one of the worst symptoms, I rode through the storm as I didn't want to take HRT but if life is getting so bad,you should really consider it,I wish I had now but tbh I'm ok now,still get the occasional anxiety but normal short lived

Wrensong

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 09:08:30 PM »

Hi Yvonne Marie  :welcomemm:.  Yes I unintentionally lost a stone in early perimenopause when already underweight.  Like you I have a thyroid condition & this can muddy the picture throughout the transition.  Can I suggest you ask for a TFT if you've not had one since you began losing weight.  If you are hypothyroid & on replacement thyroid hormones you may need to reduce your dose as we sometimes need less with age. 

If hyperthyroid rather than hypo, you will already know all about struggling to maintain weight, but I would speak to your doctor in that case too, again to be sure the thyroid condition is not behind the weight loss.
Wx