Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Has anyone experienced side effects from lowering HRT dose?  (Read 842 times)

Gilla999

Has anyone experienced side effects from lowering HRT dose?
« on: August 02, 2021, 05:14:48 PM »

After being on HRT for just over 3 months I decided to drop from 2 sprays of Lenzetto to 1 spray, as I was feeling a bit manic in the first 10-14 days of my cycle - just "amped up" and like I'd drunk 50 espressos and for the couple of days prior to ovulation I started to not sleep well as a result, which definitely isn't the normal pattern for me.

I made the drop 10 days ago and in the last 5 days I've really started to feel quite unpleasant, primarily with an overwhelming tiredness, even though I'm sleeping absolutely fine. It feels like it does when you're coming down with a virus (it's not Covid, I tested!) - utterly exhausted, to the extent I don't feel able to leave the house or even cook for myself (it's take away central at the moment!) and gets progressively worse as the day goes on (I don't feel too bad in the mornings). I also have a headache by the end of each day.
I've also noticed I am ridiculously hungry, like a bottomless pit (I'm not gaining weight though despite how much I feel I'm eating!).

I wondered if this is normal when making changes to HRT? I think I recall feeling similar when I stopped the Pill and had a break before starting Lenzetto - it's almost like estrogen withdrawal! I just wondered if anyone else has gone through this or experienced anything similar?

Thanks xx
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 05:17:53 PM by Gilla999 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Has anyone experienced side effects from lowering HRT dose?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 06:49:27 PM »

It is 'normal'.  It may be that you still have hormones of your own too.  Dropping a small amount will have an impact.

Do U think that an extra spray a couple of times a week would help, some have to vary what they use in order to gain some ease of symptoms.  It's Trial and Error  ::)

Gilla999

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 07:09:16 PM »

Ooh I hadn't even considered that - do people do that with varying doses? I'll try to ride it out for a few more days and if no improvement then I might have to admit defeat.

Thanks so much for the reassurance - I'm the first of any of my friends to go through this nightmare (I'm 42) and it's very isolating sometimes not having any peers to discuss it with!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 07:11:08 PM »

Have U put the product name into the search box 2 C if any threads pop up?

Why admit defeat?  C how you feel tomorrow, then perhaps add that extra spray at night? 

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 09:46:22 PM »

I don't know if it's possible with the spray but you'd be better to have an extra half every day. As it's supposed to last a day you may not get a consistent dose unless you do it every day.

Gilla999

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 05:43:53 AM »

Yes I think I'd be a little worried about fluctuations/consistency if I varied the doses - I guess that is a big drawback of the spray, you can't halve doses!

My sense is that it's estrogen withdrawal (if such a thing exists!) as dropping to 1 spray means I'm on the lowest estrogen dose since early December (prior to starting HRT I had experimented with two contraceptive Pills, all back to back). Having said that I'm not experiencing night sweats, hot flushes or problems with my sleep - I'm sleeping a deep sleep for hours and hours and waking feeling like I've been asleep for 500 years! But then still have overwhelming tiredness all day too, which is fine in the morning and gets worse throughout the day.

I think I'll give it another couple of days and if it doesn't improve I'll have to go back up to 2 sprays