Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Progesterone pod cast - Maybe helpful to some  (Read 3303 times)

Wrensong

Re: Progesterone pod cast - Maybe helpful to some
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 08:23:47 AM »

rae123 would you mind giving details of your regimen please?  Would be really helpful to know what dose of Duphaston you've been prescribed, whether continuous or sequential & if sequi, for how many days, standard/short cycle, how much oestrogen with it, whether you take testosterone, where you are in menopause etc.  Also what side effects you had from Utrogestan.  Blimey - Spanish Inquisition.  Sorry  ;D.  If you prefer not to say, that's absolutely fine :)

I see the guidelines published in the link were due to expire in June this year, so wonder whether Duphaston is included in those that replaced them.  Can I ask how long ago were you prescribed it rae123?

Agree with Pepperminty's suggestion of a new thread too.
Wx
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:33:06 AM by Wrensong »

Wrensong

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 08:53:13 AM »

Hi Pepperminty, attached link/extract from MHRA document dated 2014 refers to "named patient" prescribing.  I haven't read it all & don't know whether there is anything more up to date.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/373505/The_supply_of_unlicensed_medicinal_products__specials_.pdf

"The supply of unlicensed medicinal products (“specials”)  MHRA Guidance Note 14

2.2 An unlicensed medicinal product may only be supplied in order to meet the special
needs of an individual patient. An unlicensed medicinal product should not be supplied
where an equivalent licensed medicinal product can meet the special needs of the
patient. Responsibility for deciding whether an individual patient has “special needs”
which a licensed product cannot meet should be a matter for the doctor, dentist, nurse
independent prescriber, pharmacist independent prescriber or supplementary prescriber
responsible for the patient’s care. Examples of “special needs” include an intolerance
or allergy to a particular ingredient, or an inability to ingest solid oral dosage forms.
These examples are not exhaustive."

Off at a tangent from your original post but hopefully relevant to your question as to conditions under which "specials" can be prescribed.
Wx
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:03:28 AM by Wrensong »

pepperminty

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 09:59:32 AM »

Hi Wrensong, thank you that is very helpful. I think that in the light that Duphaston is not a contentious drug - untested etc and the fact that it is already contained in Femosten ( all types) it seems ludicrous that you have to jump through hoops to get it. But maybe one still can via the NHS using the information from the C &W clinic ?

In fact  I think it has a really good safety record.

I suspect the rae123's progesterone may be the standard  10mg ? But it would be very interesting to here the actual regime that was prescribed if possible.

Knowledge is power!

PMXX

Wrensong

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 05:15:24 PM »

Hi Pepperminty, agree with what you say here . . .

I think that in the light that Duphaston is not a contentious drug - untested etc and the fact that it is already contained in Femosten ( all types) it seems ludicrous that you have to jump through hoops to get it.

but was very surprised to find it documented in the Chelwest guidelines that dydrogesterone can be prescribed on it's own for HRT use in combination with the various oestradiol preparations, given how many times it's been understandably lamented on here that it's only available in the UK in the Femoston combi products.

But maybe one still can via the NHS using the information from the C &W clinic ?

No idea whether some Health Authorities may decline to allow it though.  I printed the guidelines off to show to my Cons as soon as I found them, so great minds think alike! 

But yes, knowing the full details of the regimen would be so helpful, so anyone who feels the need to try it can take along to their doctor evidence of how it's been prescribed by one of the most respected menopause authorities.  That should hopefully give confidence to prescribe if hands are not tied by individual HA regs & open up another option for those of us who really struggle to get around progesterone intolerance.
Wx
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 05:18:07 PM by Wrensong »

loonarider

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2021, 11:01:45 AM »

AWESOME Peppermint! Will definitely have a listen over brunch.  ;D

pepperminty

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2021, 04:55:11 PM »

Fab, we need more choices!

PMXX

IrishWendy

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 11:18:54 AM »

I live in Ireland and Duphaston is available here. I have just started it.
I am a year without periods and I am taking estrogen in patch form and Dupaston 10mg for the last 14 days of the cycle.
I guess I will have a bleed with this regime but I am going to see how it goes and if it is unbearable then I will see if I can take it continously but I would need to ask my gp.

Wrensong

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 04:28:35 PM »

Oh IrishWendy - good that you've posted here as well as on your other thread :).  Everything crossed for you.
Wx

Jo Journey

• First Flush
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2024, 07:43:00 AM »

Hi irishwendy,
I've just started duphaston 10mg for breakthrough bleeding after 14 months on utrogestan 100mg continuous.im finding the mornings the worst with a sick tummy and hardly able to get up with tiredness. Did you have these side effects and if so how long did they last. Were you on 10 or 20 mg, I must begin on 10mg and change up to 20mg at some point. Just worried at how strong the side effects are on the 10mg not to mind going upto 20mg.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Jo.x

Hurdity

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2024, 05:32:07 PM »

Hi Jo journey

:welcomemm:

This is a very old thread (which I started reading until I realised!) and perhaps best to start a new thread so your message can be seen and answered by more women?

Especially interesting that you mention Duphaston and others would be interested too if you put that in the title! eg WHERE do you get it from?!!!! Here in UK it is not available and lots of us would love to try it!!!

Few women on here take this although some do as part of Femoston - the only HRT that it is licensed to be supplied  as part of....

Hurdity x

pepperminty

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2024, 06:08:58 PM »

Hi Jo Journey,

as Hurdity says. It would be great to know how you got it prescribed? Are you in the UK?

Many thanks PM X
Pages: 1 [2]