Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bleeding every other week on Evorel Conti  (Read 1036 times)

Mskgbh

• First Flush
Bleeding every other week on Evorel Conti
« on: February 12, 2024, 03:06:15 PM »

I'd welcome any experiences or advice please.
I'm nearly 56, still having periods when I started HRT at 53. Started on Utrogestan and Oestrogel but bled for weeks on end until I had a scan and they found 2 fibroids. I had a hysteroscopy a year ago and they removed both which calmed down the bleeding but not completely.
Nearly 6 months ago, I changed to Evorel Conti patches, I feel great on them but I've had a bleed every other week, and I mean a proper period like bleed. At my 3 month check-up with my GP, after I highlighted this, she advised staying on for another 3 months because 'it can take 6 months for things to calm down'. Now I'm nearly up to 6 months and I'm still bleeding every other week. I'm at my wits end. It seems that GP's don't know enough about HRT to advise properly and I can't afford to go privately.
Anyone else have a similar experience? Fed up with bleeding!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bleeding every other week on Evorel Conti
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 03:59:56 PM »

:welcomemm:  I bet that you are fed up!  MayB put the product names into the search box: individually : and read any threads that pop up. Make notes.

True that many GPs don't have much idea about which HRT might suit, there is the option of a dedicated menopause clinic - both private and NHS have waiting lists.  U may find one local to you by reading the web-site at your Hospital/s.

Hopefully some1 with this regime knowledge will be along.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 05:03:41 PM »

Az your last svan was a year ago I would ask for another so can rule out any obvious cause. Your best option to be bleed free would be a mirena, it sorts it out bleeding problems for most people. If you don't want one I would try a sequi regime, it might be that it's too soon for you to be on conti as you may not be meno yet. If you stick to conti it might be that you may need more progestin than most people in which case double dose is a known strategy. If you still have your own cycle hrt doesn't obliterate it in the way bcp does.

AnneS

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 05:25:01 PM »

Hi … I was on Evorel Conti and like you , felt it was working well  for me but had a regular bleed every 2 weeks …. This went on just past the 6 month mark so was referred for scan and biopsy. Results all clear and was advised to change to Evorel 50 patches and utrogestan 100 daily which has stopped the bleeding but I still think I felt better on the Conti regime ! I think it’s so difficult to find the right hrt type/dose and even more difficult to find the right doctor to help/-advise !! X

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 08:54:38 AM »

Hi Ms...

:welcomemm:

Is it possible that you have a tendency to  develop fibroids and the ongoing bleeding is a result of this? Oestrogen can cause fibroids to grow....

As per sheila, once the 6 months has elapsed I would go back to doc and report continued bleeding and you should be referred for another scan/hysteroscopy. Depending on the outcome you wil be advised of best option. No problem with taking HRT cyclically (if you have reached menopause or if bleeding never settles) - many of us continue with cyclical HRT well after menopause - even in our 60's and 70's!!!

Do let us know ( on this thread) the outcome

Hurdity x

GraceM

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 03:41:39 PM »

Its possible you need less oestrogen as oestrogen is the 'bleeding hormone'.  You won't be able to do this with conti patches - I think 50mg is the lowest dose - but maybe discuss switching to a 25mg patch/100mg continuous utrogestan with your gp.  I've had to reduce my patch to 25mg and even with the mirena coil I still get periods that can drag on for days but they are way lighter than before.  I have fibroids too.

Mskgbh

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 05:12:41 PM »

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'll see what the GP says but sequentially might be the way forward. I wasn't sure if bleeding regularly is due to too much/ too little progesterone or oestrogen!
Thanks again.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 07:17:51 PM »

I have been on evorel conti for several years and had regular episodes of bleeding thoughout. I have had numerous scans which were all ok until the last one which showed thickening.

I think that some people continue to have bleeduing issues with evorel. This is what I have been told and advised to change to Mirena.

It's such a shame when otherwise it suits you.

It's early days for you so hopefully things will settle.

CarolineM

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 10:07:05 PM »

Hope you get things sorted soon Mskgb, I share your feeling of being fed up with bleeding!

I was on Evorel Conti for 6 months and the last 4 months were one long constant period! The heaviness varied quite a lot, but still definite bleeding every day. Had a scan and biopsy - slightly thickened lining and a couple of fibroids, nothing of concern. Switched to Evorel 50 + utrogestan 7 months ago, still bleeding more regularly than I should be, but much less than on Evorel Conti. I forgot to take the utrogestan 3 times over months 5 and 6, which probably hasn't helped settle things down!

Interesting what GraceM said about maybe less oestrogen is the answer? I'll bring that up with the ANP I see at the 9 month mark if the bleeding hasn't subsided, so thank-you for that comment GraceM.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 05:26:54 PM »

Just to add that if you are post-menopause then the dose of oestrogen in Evorel is not too high - it's 50 mcg which is medium dose and is the standard dose advised for post-menopause, and the licensed dose to prevent osteoporosis. If there is bleeding then the cause is the balance or other factor (like fibroids) or just that some women never settle on conti HRT. Of course if you're peri (especially early peri) then the situation is different as your own cycle may be strong....

I really doubt that less oestrogen is needed - especially if you feel well on the regime, other than the bleeding.

Hurdity x

Hurdity x