Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT and Levothyroxine.  (Read 2327 times)

Kathleen

HRT and Levothyroxine.
« on: August 01, 2021, 03:29:34 PM »

Hello ladies.

I've just thought of another question for you!

I need to have some routine blood tests due to my Ulcerative Colitis diagnosis  and because I also have Hashimoto's I have arranged for a Thyroid blood test at the same time.

One of Louise Newson's articles advises that anyone taking thyroid meds should have their levels re tested when beginning HRT as the introduction of sex hormones can upset previously stable thyroid blood levels.

I began taking Levothyroxine before I restarted HRT and I wasn't aware that another Thyroid blood test should have been offered at that time.

Were any of you ladies aware of this? There must be many of us who are taking Levothyroxine and then adding HRT and unaware that this might create a problem. If HRT is not as effective as expected, could this be the explanation?

I know there are ladies on this forum who are Thyroid experts  and perhaps they have some information on this subject.

Wishing you all well ladies.

K.

Wrensong

Re: HRT and Levothyroxine.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 04:02:57 PM »

Hi Kathleen, not an expert by any means  ;D but that's right, though it's usually only considered to be oral oestrogen that can affect our requirement for thyroid replacement.  The mechanism is that it raises Thyroid Binding Globulin, effectively making less thyroid hormone available for use in the body. So if you are on transdermal HRT perhaps that's why a TFT wasn't suggested.  That said, some of us on here have found we need to adjust our thyroid replacement dose even with transdermal HRT.  From memory it's been those, like me, who take T3 as well as T4.  I've needed to increase my thyroid meds slightly when oestrogen dose has gone up & reduce it when taking less oestrogen.

Studies show progesterone also has (opposite) effects on thyroid hormone i.e. potentiating it slightly, but this is not generally taken into account.
Wx
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 04:05:21 PM by Wrensong »

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 04:23:33 PM »

Hello Wrensong

Thank you so much, I knew I could count on you!

I am sure other Levothyroxine /HRT ladies will also be interested in your reply.

Wishing you well.

K.

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 04:41:08 PM »

My pleasure Kathleen.  Hope your results are all good.
Wx

warwick01

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 04:18:50 PM »

Hi Kathleen

I have my bloods for my thyroid taken every 6 months. This was suggested by a consultant. I must admit mine has fluctuated over the last few years. Currently I take 100mcg but as usual it will need increasing in a few months...... this has been going on for a while now.

I do find I am jittery if I take it too close to my Oestrogel. Try to take it 6.00am and Oestrogel 8.00am. I have read for some ladies taking it at night stops the jitters.

Wx