Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hiatus hernia  (Read 6488 times)

DeeMarie

Hiatus hernia
« on: July 30, 2021, 06:00:27 PM »

After a few months of feeling ill I’ve just discovered I have a hiatus hernia after having a gastroscopy this afternoon. Looks like I will be on omeprazole for the foreseeable  :-\ I did have a bout of feeling nauseous, stomach pain a few weeks ago and my omeprazole was upped to 40mg and that’s when the gp organised the gastroscopy. Not sure if certain foods can trigger? Any advice would be much appreciated  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hiatus hernia
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 07:09:44 PM »

Were you told how common this is during menopause?  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax which includes the digestive system.

Does the 'omeprazole' ease symtoms?  After a while it can help it can also 'over' line the oesophagus so U may consider changing to something or having a break from it. 

I swallow 1 capsule at night 2 ease reflux cough.  I have used 'Rennies' successfully for acute heartburn in the night. 

How was the procedure  :-X ?

DeeMarie

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 08:47:31 PM »

Hi CLKD, menopause was not mentioned at all! It did help but when I felt really ill, nauseous, no appetite, pain when I did eat etc I phone gp who then gave me an app into the surgery. With going on for a so long she requested the gastroscopy but I also have to get a colonoscopy/ultrasound too  :-\
The procedure was awful  :'( I opted for the throat spray and was so glad it was over!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 11:14:37 PM »

Hi DeeMarie. I have a hiatus hernia too. By the time I actually went to the GP about mine I had got an ulcerated oesophagus diagnosed by endoscopy so I was put straight onto 40mg of omeprazole and that sorted it out. I'm still on it two years later (20mg) and it's made such a difference to me. Obviously it won't cure the hernia and it's not something that will go away so although ppi drugs can have a bad press the alternative of damage to your oesophagus isn't very good either. For mine I was advised to take the omeprazole before getting out of bed in the morning so it can do its work before anything else is in the tummy.

I agree the procedure isn't very nice but if you need another one I'd opt for sedation. It doesn't knock you out but you are not aware of what's going on.

You are being given a thorough overhaul by the sound of it. Not pleasant but it will be good to have everything checked.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 09:12:15 AM »

The procedure should be given with a sedative. 

Let us know how you get on!

DeeMarie

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 01:19:51 PM »

Hi Taz2, thanks for replying. My mum had a hiatus hernia so I often wondered. Still not what I wanted to hear but relieved to know that that’s what could causing my problems. What were your symptoms? Have you changed your diet at all? I was given a choice of throat spray or sedative but the only reason I opted for the spray was to be able to leave pretty much straight away and get on with it. I also got my bloods taken again a few weeks ago and I haven’t heard of anything so assuming they are ok once again. I think my gp knows how worried/anxious I am so is checking everything. Although I’m a little freaked out I’m glad it’s being investigated.

DeeMarie

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 01:23:33 PM »

Will do, thank you  :thankyou:

Let us know how you get on!
[/quote]

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 04:20:54 PM »

My symptoms were heartburn, acid reflux which woke me with choking at night (most unpleasant) a feeling of a lump in my throat and a burning whenever I drank a hot drink. I would get nausea too and a feeling like I was going to gag. It's a sliding hernia which is the most common.

Before I started on omeprazole I cut out alcohol and chocolate which would always give me the night-time reflux and I also found bread, cakes, biscuits troublesome. After starting omeprazole I could eat and drink everything again. I do have a flare up at the moment though due to having to have nurofen for two weeks following two minor oral surgeries which were a bit tricky - certainly didn't feel minor to me - so if it doesn't clear up in the next week I shall ask the GP whether I need to up my dose for a while.

That throat spray tastes so horrible doesn't it? The first endoscopy I had was fine although I hated the spray. I needed a child's mouthpiece and I mentioned this for the second one but they didn't have one when I went so they tried to use an adult one which caused so much gagging that they had to stop partway through (so embarrassing) so I was then referred to the hospital so I could have sedation. We're lucky that our surgery has a endoscopy unit but obviously they don't carry as much kit as the hospital!

Taz x

DeeMarie

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 08:00:41 PM »

Very similar symptoms to myself. The worst was the nausea and would even wretch at times :-\ would wake up back of 5 and that’s when it would start. I would also be constantly swallowing like I had phlegm in my throat. I felt better once I started taking 20mg omeprazole but not sure if something triggered my symptoms as a few weeks ago it started again and that’s when it was upped to 40mg along with peptac. I had to come off them once my appointment was made (a week without them) and thought ‘oh know what if I feel worse?’ Thankfully I wasn’t too bad and peptac kept it at bay….phew!
The spray is awful! At first I tasted the banana but then after a second squirt it was absolutely vile!
Hope you feel better soon x

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 08:50:04 PM »

Thanks DeeMarie. Hope you feel better too.

Do you ever have those sudden hiccups? Just one hiccup out of nowhere? I find that so weird. The retching is very embarrassing when it happens. I keep mints or boiled sweets in my bag as I find that helps if it's a retching kind of day   :).

The other thing I've found is that not all brands of omeprazole work as effectively. They should be the same according to the ingredients but they definitely aren't.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 08:11:49 AM »

Oh that's a reminder Taz: I don't hiccup but get a long trying to burp sound, I remember Mum had that too.  Not often but it's out of nowhere  :o

Do U have the head of the bed raised?

DeeMarie

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 02:07:58 PM »

Yes I get them too, can feel them coming on but thought it was cos I had ate too quick! Touch wood…. I haven’t had any urges to retch recently, phew but will keep a pack of mints with me at all times, thanks. I didn’t know that about omeprazole but I guess in a way makes sense! What brand are you on? It’s the Teva brand I’m on x

DeeMarie

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 02:09:57 PM »

Hi CLKD, will have to raise the bed or get an extra pillow. I was also told that a pillow under the feet might help too.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »

The Brand depends on what the Surgery Prescribe - I've never looked 2 B perfectly honest .........

Raising the bed legs is a more stable way and means that you are in a constant position - pillows can 'give' .  Dad used bricks covered in silver foil  ::) but I don't know what it was for as I had moved out by then. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 08:29:24 AM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 05:27:12 PM »

Yes I get them too, can feel them coming on but thought it was cos I had ate too quick! Touch wood…. I haven’t had any urges to retch recently, phew but will keep a pack of mints with me at all times, thanks. I didn’t know that about omeprazole but I guess in a way makes sense! What brand are you on? It’s the Teva brand I’m on x

At the moment I have MilPharm which don't work well for me but, luckily, my daughter in law had a spare park of Glenmark which do work well for me so I'm now using those and am feeling more comfy today. The other good one for me is Sandoz. My GP agreed that they do differ and give good or bad results depending on the individual. I'm not sure I've ever been given Teva.

I don't bother with raising the head of the bed but before I was diagnosed I used to sit up to sleep. Not sure I could get the angle right with bricks! I'm not sure how raising the feet would work to be honest as this would just tip the acid more easily into the oesophagus?  :-\

Taz
Pages: [1] 2