Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Had cold but still can’t smell or taste  (Read 4793 times)

Blot

Had cold but still can’t smell or taste
« on: July 26, 2021, 06:34:07 PM »

I’ve had a cold, really snotty and blowing my nose constantly and I lost my smell and taste. This has only really happened in the past for a day or so when I’ve been totally bunged up but it’s coming up to 2 weeks now and it’s still not back.

Has this happened to anyone else and how long till things got back to normal? I can breathe fine through my nose now, just the tail end of cold symptoms now. Dr google tells me I’m doomed!

It’s obviously been some weird kind of virus but I can’t help but worry. I’ve been tested for covid btw and negative.

Aprilflower

Re: Had cold but still can’t smell or taste
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 10:06:57 PM »

Could have been a false negative.

Otherwise how are your sinuses.  Inflammation there could be the problem.

Lyncola

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 11:18:25 PM »

My Dad hasn’t been able to smell or taste for many years, only his Doctor pick up that he sounds funny. And have done a couple of different test.
At the moment he is on a nose wash (salty water that you pump up your nose, or you could use a netti pot) and a nose spray to use very day. And it’s helped him.

Go and see your doctor and asked them what they recommend. My Dad uses Fess Sinu-Cleanse and Azonaire nose spray. I use both of these everyday myself for sinus and runny nose. But I’m am from Australia so could be different products for you to use.

Good luck

Blot

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 06:53:51 AM »

Thank you. I know it only seems like a small thing, and in the grand scheme of things not a big deal, but I’m starting to get a bit down at the thought of life without the joy of taste and smell not being there. Such a drama Queen ☹️

DeeMarie

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 09:48:48 PM »

Mine has never really been the same since I got the cold a few years ago. I can smell and taste but not as good as what it was before  :-\

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 10:55:19 PM »

If you can breath normally through your nose, its not blocked and no sinus symtoms then you may have had covid. The symtoms for this new variant are similar to a cold with runny nose etc  in fact the symptoms now are pretty much anything or even no symptons at all. If it was covid your smell and taste could take a few weeks to come back, mine was about a month but gradually.

Blot

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 07:29:01 PM »

Thanks. I was tested for covid (pcr) and do regular lateral flow tests and all negative. If I hadn’t been tested I would have been convinced it was covid due to this symptom.  Very strange.

Feel like I’m getting another cold now as well, just as I was getting over the last one  :( Think there are lots of bugs circulating at the moment.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 07:41:33 PM »

About 12 months ago I had a cold for a few days.  How? as I have been wearing masks, washing hands, not speaking to people ...........

Loss of taste and smell is common with the cold virus.  It does impact on how we enjoy foods ......... sinuses can be affected too.

Rest. Plenty of liquids.  Do U have a finger thingy to test oxygen levels?  Also a thermometer is useful.

Blot

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »

CLKD before this one I hadn’t had a cold for about two and a half years. Real stinker that one was but I didn’t lose smell or taste after it cleared up.
I suppose a cold is just another variation of coronavirus so this particular one I’ve had could affect smell and taste.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 08:49:32 PM »

As an aside DH didn't have a cold for years. He ate Marmite on toast at breakfast .......... every morning.

I hate Summer colds worse than Winter 1s 'cos people don't seem 2 have the same sympathy  ;D

Blot

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 09:49:46 PM »

Yum. Marmite on toast. If only I could taste it  :)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 08:52:19 AM »

Has 2 B on hot toast, do U agree ;-)

Blot

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 05:13:37 PM »

Yes

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 08:16:34 PM »

Any improvement this evening?

Blot

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 03:29:07 PM »

I’m starting to be able to get very faint smells of certain things now but only if I put them right under my nose and only fleetingly.  Other things just can’t smell at all.
But I’m taking this as a positive and hope it’s the start of improvement.
Pages: [1] 2