Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Most effective SSRIs for anxiety/panic disorder :(  (Read 2723 times)

loonarider

Most effective SSRIs for anxiety/panic disorder :(
« on: July 12, 2021, 01:16:05 PM »

Hellooooo

Can any ladies suggest an SSRI witht he least side effects as I don't do too well with medications for the most part.

I am currently on hrt . Estrogel 25 and Utrogestan 200 g vaginally. Taking SSRI's was suggested to me by my psychiatrist who feels that hrt alone won't be as effective in reducing my panic disorder symptoms and GAD.

I also begin my second year at university (I know I'm old), and don't want to be stressed while there so want to get on some medication before September.

Hope someone can help x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Most effective SSRIs for anxiety/panic disorder :(
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 02:32:55 PM »

Hi!  👋 I take 'escitalopram' 10mg at night and 5mg at breakfast.  For cyclical depression.

Years ago my GP gave me propranolol to ease the early morning anxiety surges.  'rescue remedy' has been OK - I use the mouth spray.  I also have an emergency tablet 4 when the anxiety floors me, which works within 20 mins.; either enables me or knocks me out.  Once I wake I feel fine again.

How R the menopause symptoms on your regime? 

Good Luck in your studies.  At least at our age we can enjoy what we choose !

loonarider

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 05:59:59 PM »

Hi CKLD,

Thanks for asking. The menopause symptoms are still around, but early days for me. Doctor prescribed me amitriptyline today for my migraine/tension type headaches that I've been dealing with since the astra vaccine. Interestingly, I didn't know it was also an anti-depressant!

Thanks, yes, I cannot wait to go back this September, back to normalcy! :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 07:52:27 PM »

Have U been referred to a Long Covid group?

Worry of course can cause headaches as can dehydration.  As can stress, it becomes a circle.  What relaxation therapy do you practice?

loonarider

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 06:26:31 AM »

Have U been referred to a Long Covid group?

Worry of course can cause headaches as can dehydration.  As can stress, it becomes a circle.  What relaxation therapy do you practice?

Long covid? Interesting I never thought of that.  :'(

Harmony

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 03:07:36 PM »

You've probably been prescribed a small dose of amitriptyline for migraine. It's rarely used as an anti depressant now, but is widely used off label at lower doses for various conditions. I've been taking it for years for insomnia. The effective dose as an antidepressant starts at 75mg, but it's usually taken at higher doses than this, I believe. Some people struggle with side effects even at 10mg, but I haven't had any at 25mg +. I wake up feeling like death warmed up, as if  drugged or hungover, but I'm sure this is mostly down to having ME rather than the amitriptyline, as I felt the same before I started taking it. I hope it helps with the migraines, I know a lot of people on the Facebook group I belong to take it for that.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 03:51:16 PM »

We had no problems after the AZ vaccine apart from DH felt fluey ..........

How do U feel now?

Gnatty

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 03:58:46 PM »

I started on Sertraline but suffered terribly with initial start up side effects. My GP switched me to Mirtazapine, which I think is a bit like an SSRI but with extra on top, so I guess a bit more heavy duty. But and this is a big but, the only side effect so far 8 days in is being drowsy dopey in the morning. This is now starting to abate and I feel I have turned a big corner. An extra bonus is it really helps with sleep and is often prescribed for that purpose. The issues I had with Sertraline was much worse anxiety and the most awful nausea and no sleep. This still hadn't improved two and a half weeks on. The trouble is we are all different and what suits one doesn't suit another. X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 04:01:07 PM »

Tnx for the update. 

Also: if Uni looms, that on it's own may increase anxiety.