Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Breakthrough Bleeding on Utrogestan  (Read 1126 times)

juliem56

• First Flush
Breakthrough Bleeding on Utrogestan
« on: July 21, 2021, 07:06:51 PM »

Hi. I am 56 and have been on hrt, 3 pumps of Estrogel and 100mg Utrogestan daily (currently taking vaginally but I have tried taking orally as well in the past). This does suit me and control my symptoms but I get light breakthrough bleeding, sometimes almost continuously and sometimes I get a little break for a few weeks then it starts again.  I am reluctant to change my hrt and feel like if I tweak the dose of either medication it could help but need to get the balance right.  I’m wondering if I might be getting too much progesterone by taking it vaginally. Does anyone have a similar experience or advice on how I might resolve this.

sheila99

Re: Breakthrough Bleeding on Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 08:26:01 PM »

Are you peri or meno? If you're peri you might be better on a sequi regime so you have a regular bleed. If meno some bleeding can be expected in the first 6 months of a conti regime but any unexpected bleeding should be investigated. Personally I'd get it checked out, you may have a fibroid or polyp that's causing it.

juliem56

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 08:29:59 PM »

Thank you for replying. When I started taking hrt I was peri but had been for some time so I took sequi, 200mg daily for over a year then changed to the lower dose daily. I have had scans and checks twice, the last time only a few months ago.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 11:24:22 PM »

Hi juliem. How long have you been on this regime? Breakthrough bleeding is common during the first six months of a conti HRT.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

juliem56

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 06:40:37 AM »

I’ve been on this hrt for several years now. Thanks

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 07:15:18 AM »

You could try taking utro 100mg 25 days out of 28. It can work well in late peri as it allows a bleed if there's been a build up. At 56 there's no guarantee you're meno and of course you can't tell while you're on hrt. Some women are in their early 60s before they reach meno. Other options would be to go back on sequi (I assume there was no break through bleeding on this?) or to use a mirena instead of utro.

juliem56

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 07:55:31 AM »

Thank you, they are both good ideas for me to try.  I have thought about going back to sequi as I had a trouble free predictable bleed which is easier than this erratic and often continuous bleeding I get now.  I think will try the 25 out if 28 method first and see how I get on.