Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So anybody getting good sleep in this barmy weather? 😁  (Read 5596 times)

loonarider

So anybody getting good sleep in this barmy weather? 😁
« on: July 19, 2021, 03:36:31 AM »

I'm not!

Feels so hard to breathe. And then the fan keeps me awake, but without it I'd probably melt into human soup  :hotflash:

It's is Hot! Me messaging at 4:35 am... 8)

Itwillpass

Re: So anybody getting good sleep in this barmy weather? 😁
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 06:40:29 AM »

It’s just impossible to sleep isn’t it, I toss & turn all night even go for a little walk round the house looking for cool spots! My mother in law said yesterday she shuts all the curtains upstairs & shuts the windows tight too & it’s keeps the upstairs really cool I’m going to try it today 🤞

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 06:41:05 AM »

Isn’t it awful. Curtains closed all day, windows open all day but it doesn’t make any difference, still so hot at night. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 06:50:37 AM »

Yes, it's best to keep the windows closed during the day to keep the hot air out, and curtains and blinds drawn wherever the sun comes in. Once the sun goes down I open windows to try and get a through draft. It works to some extent (but not enough!).

JP x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 08:36:10 AM »

What a night last night I had. ☹️
Couldn’t sleep, the dog was too hot even with the fan on her, then when I was trying to sleep, I worried about her, I gave her clean fresh water twice, came down to find her sprawled out in the hallway. Such a shame. How animals cope in weather like this in other countries, I’ve no idea. 🤷🏼‍♀️
She’s outside now in the shade until the sun comes over lunch time.

I kept curtains closed, and windows, all day yesterday, had a cold shower before bed, but still no good.
One thing is tho, which really does help, get a freezing cold bottle water and rest it between your feet. It cools you down so quickly, which is great for me as I suffer with heat stroke quite quickly. I don’t sweat much, just over heat. So that’s what I do when I go to bed, put a cold bottle water in between my feet. 👍

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 09:13:25 AM »

Hello ladies.

On the whole my sleep is okay but lately I have struggled with the heat and I hardly slept last night. Poor sleep doesn't help with the anxiety does it and I am already feeling tearful!

My son is staying with us atm and the heat kept him awake as well so it's not just us women of a certain age.

Take care ladies.

K.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »

Yes, it's best to keep the windows closed during the day to keep the hot air out, and curtains and blinds drawn wherever the sun comes in. Once the sun goes down I open windows to try and get a through draft. It works to some extent (but not enough!).

JP x

Yep that's what I do too. Close all windows and curtains on the south and west side at 7.30 a.m. and open them again when it's cooler. Stands to reason that open windows in the day will just let in hot air. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Mind you my bedroom was still 83f /28c when I went to bed at 1 a.m. Sleep was good till the magpies woke me up at 5.30. Beautiful early morning in the garden though

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 11:16:35 AM »

Yep.  Sleep like a log.  The night B4 I didn't as DH was restless even with the fan birring away.  I did suggest that we should sleep downstairs because hot air rises  ::)

C.C.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 12:12:55 PM »

Oh gosh, when it gets hot like that here, we have the air conditioning on plus the ceiling fans going full tilt in the bedrooms. Since we have a two-storey house, the hot air just sits on the second floor even with the AC.  The bedroom where ds is working gets to 28 or 29 degrees,  and I had to buy a Dyson fan for ds in his room because the AC and his ceiling fan doesn't do anything to cool his room... which triggers his anxiety.
But, somehow on those hot days, I wake up in the morning and I'm under the blankets  :o

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 12:16:10 PM »

We do get colder in the early hours ;-). 

It's about moving air round so that it cools.  No point in opening windows to allow hot air into the building ........... one method is to put a fan over a large bag of ice cubes pointing towards the body which cools the oncoming air. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 01:20:13 PM »

I’ve just heard on the radio to freeze some water in empty milk containers and stand them in front of a fan.
So that’s exactly what I’ve just done.  ;D apparently, it can take up to 10 degrees off a room.  :o
I’ll give anything a try tbh.
I’ve also told OH, when he’s off work in a few days, he’s to sleep downstairs.  ;D
He’s like an oven the best of times. 🥵 ;D
Don’t think he was too impressed.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 01:22:20 PM »

How exciting in the early hours though jillydoll  :whist:

C.C.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 02:51:14 PM »

We do get colder in the early hours ;-). 

It's about moving air round so that it cools.  No point in opening windows to allow hot air into the building ........... one method is to put a fan over a large bag of ice cubes pointing towards the body which cools the oncoming air.

That's what I told dh, that I must get chilled in the middle of the night  ;D  He said he can't understand how when it's so darn hot in the room.  He's sweating like a pig and I'm cuddled up with the covers ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 02:55:20 PM by C.C. »

Spangles

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »

Can’t sleep, can’t function, tooooooo hot! Amazingly I never moan when I’m abroad and it’s this hot :sweatdrop:
Does anyone else get an upset tummy in this weather?

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 11:13:19 AM »

Yep.  I go off food quite quickly in the heat.  I try to eat B4 my body requires it otherwise I am soon queasy then panic sets in.

My dog used to get the squits when the weather was this hot.

I slept with the blower going last night until WhatsApp woke me up  >:( and I'm not even on it  :-\.  He'll get a  :kick: tomorrow!
Pages: [1] 2 3