Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: 1st doctors appointment  (Read 1536 times)

Knittynora

1st doctors appointment
« on: August 25, 2021, 04:12:51 PM »

Good evening, I finally got to speak to my doctor today to ask about hrt. She said I will need to have my BP checked by the nurse 1st then I'll get an appointment with her, she said they usually start you off with patches.
So if you don't mind I'd like advise please, I'll admit to not being clued up at all on all the treatments.
I was of the old school who thought you got a dodgy pill, hot sweats and that was it.
As I have VA I was given estriol and I thought that was the only option for VA, I don't think it's doing much good, as I never seem to be clear.
It's opened my eyes coming on here and watching the meno doc and divination on YouTube.
I've read a lot of posts about the various names of meds a lot of you are on, it sounds like a mine field, I know it's trial and error.
I explained to doc how I've felt for the last 3-4 years, not knowing that how I felt were classic post meno symptoms, or that hrt helps with them. I'm 57 and had my last period about 4 years ago.
I don't have a mother/aunt etc to talk to about meno. Probs explains my ignorance.
So, I'd like to know if possible which patches the nhs prescribe, I still have a womb.
I've read about regulated body identical treatments, im sure my doc said bio identical, but I also think I read these aren't regulated?
What name/brand should I look out for.
Really appreciate your advice, thanks

Knittynora

Re: 1st doctors appointment
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 04:32:19 PM »

Ps will hrt start my periods off again? Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 05:17:53 PM »

Hi!  you will require both oestrogen and progesterone HRT.

As for Vaginal Atrophy, there is a lot of treatment options.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'Vaginal Atrophy' threads on the Forum.  Make notes ;-). 

Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out.  Skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina, scalp etc.; also muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Knittynora

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 08:45:50 PM »

Thanks

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 09:03:54 PM »

As you are post meno you will be able to use a conti HRT. This means you will have progesterone and oestrogen continuously. After the initial six months, where you might experience some bleeding, you shouldn't have any more bleeds.

I've always used a patch HRT. Evorel or FemSeven give you both hormones. There is Estradot but you would have to add in a progesterone. Lots of ladies on here use gel with utrogestan but I haven't used that myself.

Full HRT along with the vagifem should make a real difference to your VA. I use both for mine and have done for the past 10 years. I'm 67 now.

Taz x  :)

Knittynora

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 04:54:31 AM »

Thanks for the info Taz, that's a great help

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 12:30:24 PM »

Hi kittynora, I started HRT 2 years ago at age 63 after putting up with hot flushes etc etc etc since 2009 when I had my last period. My GP would not prescribe it to me saying I was too old  >:( but agreed to refer me to a local menopause clinic who were brilliant and put me on it straight away, sent a confirmation letter to my GP, who then put it on repeat prescription. He also mentioned Femseven conti combined patch might suit me but they were unavailable at that time.

I also still have my womb and was told to try 2 pumps Estrogel and 100mg Utrogestan orally every night. I was on that for a year or so and then decided to try patches when the Femseven conti came back out. Unfortunately they irritated my skin leaving angry red marks after only 3 patches for weeks, so I could not use them.

I then tried an Estradot 50 patch (equal to 2 pumps gel) along with the Utrogestan, as they are more convenient, very small and stick very well. I also take Vagifem for VA every other night.
I am still on this regime now and don't suffer with hot flushes anymore. Not sure if it helps joint pain much and still have anxiety, but I intend to stay on this for the foreseeable future and maybe for life. Most professionals say they are body identical and the safest.

I hope you find the help you need and the right regime for you, go for it!! x

Knittynora

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 11:26:56 AM »

Thankyou Julia Dizzy, that's good advice, I've got s blood pressure test on Tuesday followed by a doctors appointment. I will report back

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 05:45:15 PM »

Have a look at the Treatments tab at the top, it will tell you what is available. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing in advance what will suit you and what won't so perhaps see what your gp suggests. I started on evorel but changed to oestrogel when I developed an allergic reaction to it.