Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause?  (Read 978 times)

Tiggyone

• First Flush
Perimenopause?
« on: July 16, 2021, 10:36:52 AM »

Hello all,

I'm 40 and have been experiencing intramenstrual bleeding for quite a few years, always 5-ish days before my period. Hospital investigations concluded "probably hormonal" 3 years ago but I was offered no information or help at that time.

I've just connected the dots and wondering whether also my worsening cycle-related migraines, zero libido, night-sweats, palpitations, racing heart, tiredness, low-mood, anxiety, irritability, itchy skin, restless legs, painful breasts (cyclic) and disturbed sleep could be perimenopause.

My mother had a long perimenopause with hot flushes from her 30s. Her menses ceased at 50.

So far my GP has done swabs, blood panels and an FSH test on CD17 which was normal.

They have referred me to gynaecology again re my intramenstrual bleeding, which has a 6 month waiting list, but we have no secondary care NHS provision for menopause in Cornwall.

My GP practice are unwilling to trial HRT due to my 'young' age and whilst I have this gynae referral. They have offered me antidepressants and told me to buy thrush treatment as it was found incidentally on a swab (I'm asymptomatic).

There is a private menopause clinic for which I'm on a reserve list, but they anticipate I won't be contacted until at least the end of the year.

I'm thinking of having a Mirena coil fitted and I suppose if I can find someone to prescribe me estrogen gel in the future at least I'm halfway there!

Any thoughts very welcome - many thanks :)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 10:58:17 AM by Tiggyone »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perimenopause?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 11:42:36 AM »

Hi!  there is no such thing as too young for menopause!  GPs seem to hinge on the mean age of 52.

I think you may well be in peri-menopause.  Some find it useful to keep a mood/food/symptom diary.  📔 .  It will be helpful when you go to discuss HRT after your gyane appt., could you take a cancellation at either Dept.?  MayB ring 2 C what the procedure might be if U don't have far to travel to the Hospital. 

Antidepressant medication is not the way that NICE suggest treatment menopause! Your GP should know that.  Also, avoid any treatment for thrush if you don't have symptoms.  I had intense itching high up at the end of each period.  Plus a brown discharge - I would stop bleeding for 2/3 days, then have that discharge.  'normal' 4 me so I was never bothered.

Do you have dryness in the vaginal area, if so you can start appropriate atrophy treatment immediately.  Either 'ovestin' or 'vagifem', we have threads here about 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy'.  If your bladder is irritated, mayB take 'nurofen' to ease symptoms.  VA mimics urine infection type symptoms really, really well!

:welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 11:53:22 AM »

Sounds like peri to me. You could take a copy of the NICE guidelines to your gp, you should be given hrt not ads. And I'm sure you can find plenty of evidence of younger people going through it. If you want to go privately many are offering phone consultations so I'm sure you could get an appointment before the end of the year. The other option is an online pharmacy. Might be worth a forum search as there has been some discussion about it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 12:18:58 PM »

Also - the Daisy web-site specifically for 'early' menopause might be a lookC - again to discuss with your GP ;-)

As for restless legs: mayB a lack of potassium or magnesium - eating bananas regularly cured mine and if they draw at night, I take 'nurofen'.

Tiggyone

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 02:35:31 PM »

Thanks all - yes I've been taking lots of magnesium bisglycinate at bedtime and that helps a great deal with restless legs and getting to sleep.

I'll take a look at the Daisy website - thanks :) Taking copies of guidelines isn't really possible as the GPs aren't doing many in-person consults, but I have a telephone call booked for next week so will mention NICE.

The private doctor in Cornwall is definitely a 5/6 month wait, even for a phone / video meeting unfortunately. They're trying to recruit more help as they're inundated.

Any online pharmacy I've tried have either said that they can't do a first time prescription or that they can't prescribe remotely due to my intramenstrual bleeding and previous migraines with aura, unfortunately.

I'm keeping a diary but will make it more detailed re moods etc, thanks for the tip.

I've not noticed many vaginal symptoms but also haven't had sex with husband for a couple of years (no libido!) I use Multi-Gyn Actigel on the rare occasion of any itchiness.

Thanks all.