Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Wild Swimming  (Read 1626 times)

Postmeno3

Wild Swimming
« on: July 15, 2021, 08:46:17 AM »

Hi,
Just wonder if anyone has taken up wild swimming recently? The only thing that worries me is my extremely poor thermoregulation. I just long to try!
🏊‍♀️

Perinowpost

Re: Wild Swimming
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »

Hi Postmeno3

It’s something I’ve always fancied, it’s really good for you apparently. And in fact I do swim in the sea regularly.

If you’re worried about your internal temperature could you perhaps buy a half body wetsuit or something similar to give you extra protection. It’s something I’ve thought about for the winter, just need to do some research x

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 09:26:00 AM »

Great tip. Thanks. I have dreadful Raynaud's and all things to do with regulation, but my new systemic regime might gradually help that, too. Here, where I am in Scotland, spoiled for choice, but they're also upgrading the old natural pools along the coastline. It's all very exciting and, whilst I wouldn't be able to do that much, feel really drawn to trying. There seems an awful faff with equipment and requirements though!

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 11:05:40 AM »

I bet it’ll be beautiful. I find it really cold on entering the water but my body adjusts in under a minute and then I’m fine (until I get out 😂). Difficult if you have Reynaud’s I know, but maybe exercise might help x

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 11:15:52 AM »

Yeah, I have M.E. (mild-moderate) as well, so it's an ask, but am determined! 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 11:43:58 AM »

Look at your local wild swimming web-site, many ladies in particular are going into the water more often.  Always swim with someone and check tide times if in the sea.  Also, do be aware that there is a plethora of JELLY FISH this year which sting.  Your local Coast Guards might now more about these.

Enjoy.  I used to swim at Brandon Creek as a child and occasionally in the small bay at Houghton Mill.  I would wear shoes these days ........

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 07:03:49 PM »

I had a very long wade in sea water up to my thighs today, acclimatising. Felt soooooo good! I've ordered swim shoes and a fast-drying towel. Have arranged an actual total immersion/ "swim" with a friend next week-end, so shall do more wading before then. Exciting! 👍

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 08:09:57 AM »

We don't have a emoticon for shivering do we  ;D

Enjoy.