Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Amitriptyline Film-Coated. Can they be broken in half? Need to take this eve :)  (Read 3065 times)

loonarider

Hi,

Cannot get hold of any doctors at this time, and to call 111 when it isn't an emergency seems a bit far-fetched.

Does anyone here know or has taken film coated amitriptyline and broken it in half? I don't see how this is possible as they're quite rounded and don't have a partition down the middle so you can snap in two like some paracetmols and aspirins.

They're for horrible tension headaches/migraines that I've been suffering with since having the astrazenca vaccine. Tried quite a few meds to no avail, so onto the next one.

Ah, and one more question. I just came off sumatriptan today because it wasn't working. This was around 8am, and since it has a half life of 2 hours, I'm guessing its ok to take amitriptyline tonight>?

Hope you can help.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:36:22 PM by loonarider »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Most medications are made into a maintenance dose coated with an easy2swallow shiny as well as having fillers.  So you probably shouldn't consider cutting this tablet, if it's been prescribed at a specific dose for a specific problem.

How often is it prescribed 4?

loonarider

You don't mention what dose of Amytriptyline you are starting with. If it hasn't got a score line on one side of the pill then it is not meant to be cut and is released in a certain way. It is a while since i took amytriptyline and memory rusty of it but i have just read that the 10mg can be cut.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/10849/smpc#gref

Hey there, it's 10 mg. But no score line. I'll read the linkx thanks!

loonarider

You don't mention what dose of Amytriptyline you are starting with. If it hasn't got a score line on one side of the pill then it is not meant to be cut and is released in a certain way. It is a while since i took amytriptyline and memory rusty of it but i have just read that the 10mg can be cut.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/10849/smpc#gref

Ah, just noticed the break line on the other side. Silly me  :D

loonarider

I hope it works for you.   :)

Thanks!
Update : Took a pill last night. I felt like I had been drugged to the point of being the walking dead. It made me very tired, but not in a nice way and then woke up with panic attacks.

I eventually slept, and it was decent (7hrs), but really didn't like the feeling. I felt like I couldn't function or think straight and I'm studying for a degree.

So, I think I'm going to have to ride this one out without meds until the tension headaches disappear. Fingers crossed.

Taz2

It was around 10 days before the morning drugged feeling disappeared when I took amitriptyline but it worked really well for my fibromyalgia pain. I was only on 10mg though. It is good for pain and helping with sleep but as with most of these things they can initially make you feel worse  :(

Taz x

loonarider

It was around 10 days before the morning drugged feeling disappeared when I took amitriptyline but it worked really well for my fibromyalgia pain. I was only on 10mg though. It is good for pain and helping with sleep but as with most of these things they can initially make you feel worse  :(

Taz x

You're made of tough stuff. I don't think I could do it again. Literally lying in bed, unable to move as if weights were holding my limbs down, but my eyes were wide open. You would think I was possessed by a demon. Thank God my partner didn't wake up briefly and see me like that, probably give him nightmares...

Today my headahes have gone totally -  I did take paracetmol with caffeine though, not sure whether it was that or the amitripptyline, but as I recall, my doc was saying it'd take a while before I notcied anything with the latter.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 11:26:31 PM by loonarider »

loonarider

It is used to try to break the cycle of pain.  Maybe the diversion of your degree will achieve that anyway. The brain can be a bit of a monster when it comes to maintaining pain.

I'm all for managing without medication if you can.

I totally agree. Thanks!