Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: When will this end?  (Read 1092 times)

pricey

When will this end?
« on: July 24, 2021, 08:50:27 AM »

Hi ladies,

I've been ticking along,  accepting my lot, but this morning feel super low.

Long story short, I'm 56, work full time,  still peri. I had a hysteroscopy and biopsy 4 months ago due to prolonged and heavy bleeding. By the time I got the procedure I had gone 9 weeks without a bleed. Endometrial polyp removed,  checked out ok. Lining showed disordered proliferative endometrium which they're watching. My GP panicked me but the nurse hysteroscopist said it's common in peri and they were only keeping an eye because of my late menopause. So I'm due another biopsy in 5 weeks.  Since the last one my bleeds have been every 21-25 days, preceded by sore breasts, headaches, low mood. They have been much lighter and more manageable.  I had one 13 day cycle but the bleed that preceded that didn't resolve extremely painful breasts that I'd had for weeks. I then had an horrendous migraine after 13 days and when the bleed came the sore breasts resolved so it felt as if my hormones had dropped a couple of weeks previously, hence the light bleed, then had needed to drop more to fully resolve the premenstrual symptoms.  Now I've gone 24 days and had the sore breasts for the last two or three, plus the irritability and awful 2-3 day headache. So I know my cycle is very much active.

I suppose I'm still worried because I'm 56 and the findings of the biopsy even though I was reassured by the nurse this was not hyperplasia. The fact my bleeds are lighter since the polyp removal is reassuring.

I just feel so low. I was hoping to have longer cycles at least by now. Also, I'm on leave next week (much needed and with a big family occasion!) and every time I am it coincides with a period. Most of my colleagues are younger and have finished their periods or are skipping months on end. I'm sat here sobbing.

Should I be worried? Or is this typical perimenopause? By the way, I stopped HRT a year ago as I felt that may have been causing the bleeds. In truth I am much, much better now than I was back then, so that's positive!

Thanks for listening.
X

sheila99

Re: When will this end?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 11:48:24 AM »

The only thing you can expect in peri is that everything will go haywire so I wouldn't worry. Your age isn't concerning at all, some women are in their early 60s before they reach meno (sorry if you didn't want to hear that!). I've had 2 'normal' cycles since turning 60 though 3 months apart. I've always had sore boobs on the prog phase of a cycle that resolve with the bleed and I've also found that when the cycle is abnormally long it's this part that's been extended. You may find low dose oestrogen will improve your mood without causing the bleeding problems now. Hrt is actually easier in late peri/meno because your own fluctuations become less problematic