Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Too much estrogen/too little?  (Read 1972 times)

Missylou

Too much estrogen/too little?
« on: June 29, 2021, 05:56:27 PM »

Hi everyone

I started using Oestrogel and Utrogestan several months ago (had two bleeds so far). I started on 1.5 pumps and I’m now on 2. I take Utrogestan vaginally for 12 days (200mg) of 28 day cycle (perimenopause).

It’s completely eliminated my hot flushes and I’m not waking six times in the night to go to the loo (maybe once or twice), which is great.

What’s not so great is that my breasts are really heavy and sore all the time which would indicate too much estrogen. However my mood is lower than ever (very tearful) which would indicate not enough. Please correct me if I’m wrong on these two points.

Although unpleasant I could cope with sore breasts but the low mood is the worst menopause symptom of all. Is it still too early to draw any conclusions? Should I ask to try something different? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you x

Shannonplussed

Re: Too much estrogen/too little?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 02:27:07 AM »

Too much estrogen. Sore boobs for sure, and tearfulness is also a sign of high estrogen. In peri menopause, your estrogen can intermittently skyrocket while the ovaries have their last hurrah. You may be better on just the progesterone part for a bit to see if that alone helps you. I had early menopause at 42 and tried all variations of no to low to high doses of estrogel. After 2 years of trial and error and taking notes, I find I’m most like myself on just one pump estrogel (and Mirena for the progesterone component, and DIM supplement has helped moods and belly bloating too).

Missylou

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 08:27:59 AM »

Thank you so much. I will now start reducing. When you say I might be better with progesterone alone, are you saying no estrogen at all? Wouldn’t the hot flushes and needing the loo at night come back or can progesterone on its own help with that?

Who knew the menopause would be so tough. This forum is helping so many women and you should all be proud of yourself for your amazing show of sisterhood!

EllaAurora

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 12:45:12 PM »

Hi Missylou,

Sorry to hear you are not well. How long have you been on the current 2 pump dose? If only a short time, I'm wondering if it would make sense to stick to it a little longer and see if your body adjusts?

Many ladies in the forum have shared that it has taken 3 months to really find out if a regime works or not. Of course, when not feeling well its tempting to tweak the dose, and probably sometimes it does make sense if there is a clear situation of over/under, but if the symptoms are milder, I'd probably give it a bit more time or reduce back only slightly, i.e. go back to the 1.5 pumps.

You shared that the Estrogel has helped with some of your hot flushes and insomnia, so at least that sounds good.

Let us know how you get on & hope you feel better soon! xx

Shannonplussed

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 02:31:12 PM »

Right, hot flushes. That means you need some estrogel. Estrogen is really the Goldilocks hormone, you need just the right amount, not too little and not too much. That might mean tweaking here and there as your own estrogen ramps up/declines. Unfortunately it’s trial and error but the longer you’re at it, the more attuned you become to the subtleties.

Another thing I noticed is that your progesterone dosage is high if you are taking it vaginally. I believe when taking it vaginally you can reduce it to 100mg for the days you take it on a cycle. 200mg is the oral doasage.

Missylou

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 06:44:07 PM »

I’m just coming up to my three months. I think I will cut down to 1.5 pumps and see how that goes as I’m just not feeling great at the moment. I’ll speak to my GP about the progesterone amount but I’ve noticed quite a few other people seem to be on this amount even vaginally. I get the impression that the various GPs I’ve spoken to don’t have much of a clue. So much more knowledge here. I don’t find the progesterone too bad. I sleep well on it at least. Probably jinxed it now.

pepperminty

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 06:56:08 PM »

Hi,

right a mood diary to chart how you are feeling. Also it took me 3 months on the same dose to feel ok.

hope you feel better soon.

PMXX

EllaAurora

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 07:15:54 PM »

Agree with Pepperminty, symptom & mood diary is really good idea.

I've kept it now for 2 months and realised today by looking at it that some symptoms that I had earlier have actually disappeared and I wouldn't have even noticed it without the diary. Its so confusing time and things are coming and going so this helps to keep on track. Also as progress tends to be very slow (at least in my case) it would be difficult to actually realise it without having written things down.

Let us know how you get on with the 1.5 pumps -hopefully things will settle!

Missylou

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 10:31:04 PM »

Thanks, a diary is a good idea.I will def start to reduce to 1.5 rather than wait any longer on two pumps as I’m definitely feeling considerably worse as time goes on. Hoping I can only start to feel better but a diary will be useful in helping me establish that x

pepperminty

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 06:07:15 AM »

Hi Missylou,

it is a mare all this ! But depending on where you are age wise, your hormones will also be going up and down in the back ground. Some people are also very sensitive to small increases. I know I am. If you do want to increase in the future maybe  try every other day ? Hope you feel better soon, and do update us as to how you are as it is all useful info.

PMXX

Missylou

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 11:03:46 AM »

Update, reduced to one pump (from two pumps) and after second day found I was back up several times in the night wanting the loo. I’m no good when my sleep is disrupted. Had flashing lights in front my eyes earlier (no headache) but only lasted for 10 minutes. Not sure if this is related. Boobs are really heavy and sore and mood very low (this is ongoing not just since I dropped a pump!)

I could try 1.5 pumps. I guess I would have to depress for a whole pump then throw half away?

Or maybe I didn’t try the two pumps for long enough (about two months).

At what point do you think low mood is not related to Menopause and maybe you need antidepressants? I’m loathe to go there as I believe it is related but then why isn’t it improving?

Any suggestions gratefully received x

aphrabehn

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »

Hi - I find that I can just do a half pump by depressing until I get about half the amount I have already pumped into my hand for the full pump. Keep trying! X

pepperminty

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 04:47:52 PM »

Hi Missylou,

It can take a while 3 months or more to get it right. Keep to the same dose for 3 months. Keep a mood and symptom chart. I felt dreadful for 3 months then I began to feel better. We can expect too much to begin with and atribute  every symptom to the HRT. Liz earle stated that it took her 18 months to feel normal again. Try to do meditation and postive thinking can help.

PMX