Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Allergic reaction to sanitary towels?  (Read 1896 times)

luckylady

• First Flush
Allergic reaction to sanitary towels?
« on: July 12, 2022, 01:55:18 PM »

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone else developed any allergies down below/rashes wearing sanitary towels?
I am really heavy for 3 days of the month, and wear Always night time towels.  Most of the time I have to double up and change every hour.

I have noticed some itching and redness in my labia after finishing my period and think maybe irritation.

Would anyone else be able to advise what I can use on heavy days that might be more gentle on the labia area?

Thanks

florriepeck

Re: Allergic reaction to sanitary towels?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 02:17:18 PM »

I use Always sensitive pads for this reason but I don’t think they come in a night time size. You could try Googling organic pads eg Natracare.

ATB

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 02:37:29 PM »

There was quite a lot of women who complained to Always about this very issue with some kind of change in the pads. Lots of women got quite painful irritations from the sanitary pads by always. Always didn’t care and have not changed them despite complaints. I would choose a different brand. I never ever use always. I use natracare and TOTM pads, with a menstrual cup, at night when heavy.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 02:43:44 PM »

I could never wear 'Kotex' as they would stick  >:(

joziel

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 04:05:54 PM »

I used to think my pantyliners were causing irritation down there. I changed to more natural brands. It continued. Then I thought it was the toilet paper. I swapped the toilet paper for more natural brands. It continued... This went on for months.

It turned out to be one of my symptoms of vaginal dryness and what I really needed was some Vagifem/Ovestin and YES OB. Since starting those, I have no issues anymore.

So do consider that as a possible cause.

TJ1313

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 05:30:57 PM »

Hi there, I am the same and I also have super heavy periods and I have used re-usable fabric sanitary pads from Amazon for years now, best thing I ever did, that plus a mooncup in the day time sometimes x

JoJo42

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 07:31:17 PM »

I use the bodyform sensitive pads. I think they also do a night pad. I get itchy and sore if I use other pads.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 08:42:42 PM »

I would suggest putting savlon on the areas which are going to get sore overnight, as well as talc.  Lots of ......... that's what I did which was kind of successful in that it eased the soreness. 

I had to lay on a thick towel in the night as the blood would by-pass the pads.

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 09:57:27 PM »

I had the same problem with panty liners if they are perfumed and odour free etc, they all seem to be making these now and cause irritation. I always buy perfume free Carefree now and no problem.

ange63

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 06:24:15 AM »

me and daughter sensitive to lots of brands of sanitary towels.  Always were the worst for me.  Only use Kotex which is only one we seem to not have a reaction to....

Floradora

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 09:43:59 AM »

Definitely. I always had this problem when using sanitary products as for some inexplicable reason they like to put ghastly synthetic fragrance and dyes in them! I suggest using organic cotton pads/panty liners. Various companies do them now I think but I’ve used Natracare which are pretty widely available now.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 11:33:43 AM »

I don't think that Pampas are perfumed?  Might work for night-time use?