Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Brain fog  (Read 1827 times)

jedigirl

Brain fog
« on: July 12, 2021, 04:50:00 PM »

Hi all, hope it's a good health day for you all.
I'd like to ask if anyone has found a way of combatting the dreaded brain fog? Overall my health is pretty good now and hormones in balance with my HRT regime but on some days the brain fog is still there. On bad days I forget words, feel lethargic, fuzzy headed and just generally not with it.
I've started a whole food plant based diet which has definitely helped my energy levels and the fog quite a bit,  but interested if anyone does anything else?

jedisgirl :)

mandss

Re: Brain fog
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 06:20:05 PM »

I have suffered dreadfully with brain fog and dizziness, so much so that it really interfered with my daily life. I have found that the only thing to work for me is HRT. I am now back on it after a 5 month break and after only 10 day am starting to feel better. I am having these weird moments when I feel totally spaced out and like I am going to pass out. I hope this passes soon as I get further into the HRT cycle.

jedigirl

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 02:47:04 PM »

Hi Mandss'
It's pretty yuck isn't it? I'm on HRT and it has improved since being on it but i'd like to do more to combat it.

mandss

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 05:57:04 PM »

If you find anything that works, PLEASE let me know xxxx

jedigirl

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 06:13:35 PM »

The only thing i've found so far is that cleaning up my diet helps my energy and i stay focused longer. I'm plant based now but i realise it's not for everyone.

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 04:47:23 AM »

Please, if people are going plant based, seek advice from a qualified nutritionist ideally within the medical profession.

We don't always see any harm from the lack of balance in a vegetarian diet until we break bones. Our blood iron can be low before we feel ill.

A variety of good fresh whole food, and including dairy, meat, fish supports us in so many ways. A nutritionist told me that offal is too often missing in our diets. We need the minerals and vitamins in forms we can use in our bodies and  brains the very best.

With best wishes.

CherrySG

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 01:49:18 PM »

I suffered from episodes of this since the age of about 50.

For me, high doses of HRT make it worse. This week I feel like I've actually found something that helps - Vitamin B and Iron patches.

I'm always quite low blood count anyway. I didn't have a blood test, but made a guess, because I take stomach acid blockers and that can cause B12 absorption problems. It's also got rid of the weird depression I've been experiencing later, I actually feel more like myself than I have for ages.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 02:02:19 PM »

"brains the very best" ........ apparently when 1 is stuck that is the best part to eat  :-X as it's full of proteins as well as liquids to keep hydrated.  Hope you are not eating your lunch  ;D

I am foggy every morning due to busy, involved, long dreams.  Probably due to the medication that I take  ::)

I can't remember much, earlier I mentioned something to DH and he asked me to repeat it, I couldn't recall even the subject .........  :-\.   If I write a shopping list which gets left behind, I can no longer remember what is on it!  This isn't new, probably 5-6 years .........

A good diet full of veg., fruits, fish, meat [if you want], full dairy products ........... what ever our beliefs our bodies are designed for specific foods to keep us 'going'.  'plant based'? well go to the grocers and buy directly, gently cooked or even raw is the way to go.  Some find that soya products help, others get 'the runs' with it.  My bowel has performed much better since DH began stir frying lots more veg.!  It surprised  :o even me how better I feel.

?? Girls who these days avoid full fat dairy products may well suffer osteoporosis far earlier than our generation ??  Years++ ago, a friend who had been vegetarian from the age of 13, suddenly craved meat.  She was really torn but after eating a small amount of meat 1 day a week for a month, felt better.  Obviously her body was 'asking' for something that she wasn't absorbing from her diet. 

Berto77

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 04:31:36 PM »

I think I've ended up addicted to cola trying to fight brain fog! Things that are supposed to help are L-Tyrosine, Gingko Biloba but I've found they tend to trigger headaches in me. I have tried Lions Mane supplement which I did find helpful. I sometimes feel like the front part of my brain has died or gone numb its an awful feeling but I'm not sure if that is due to perimenopause or chronic migraine, however the lions main did help with that, its a pricey supplement though. B Vitamins and Vitamin D are a must of course. Do you take testosterone? I've read that is helpful for focus? Another thing you could try is breathing exercises like yoga pranayama or if you are brave the wim hof method, there are lots of videos on youtube. Breathing exercises are good but some can be intense and perhaps not great if you have dizziness.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 05:08:23 PM »

I haven't heard any1 else say where they think their brain operates from, my eyes feel tired and the front of my brain kind of numb.  I think that is the part that controls inhibitions etc.?

Berto77

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 06:21:53 PM »

I haven't heard any1 else say where they think their brain operates from, my eyes feel tired and the front of my brain kind of numb.  I think that is the part that controls inhibitions etc.?

Yeah thats the prefrontal cortex which is reponsible for things like concentration, organization, judgement, reasoning, decision-making, creativity, emotional regulation etc, all pretty vital stuff! I'm not sure if the numb feeling actually translates to lack function but it certainly feels like it!

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 07:12:50 PM »

The breathing exercise helps me. Breathe  in through  the  nose for a count of 4, and out through
the  mouth for a count of 6. Just for a few times. Then focus on what was intent.
It helps to let us put CO² out of our bodies that we build up by worrying about our fog, and helps reduce anxiety and fuzziness in our minds.

It is free, and can be done anywhere  ;)

If our bodies are lacking in nutrients, look to improve our diet. Something wholesome like a healthy muesli with no sugar or powderd milk - just lovely cereals and some Brazil nuts or hazelnuts - with cows or goats milk for breakfast. Or could add  some Kefir on top. All good to feed our beneficial bacteria in our guts.
Pulses instead of mass made bread.
Good amounts of spinach, broccoli or  kale with the main meal. Lamb is good for Omegas and iron.  Eggs for Omegas. Beef for iron that we can use rapidly.  Mushrooms for Vitamin D.

I go on too long again  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 07:47:52 PM »

Nope.  There is a recipe thread too to share ideas ;-)

I suppose that I grew up with fresh foods grown in my grandparents' gardens as well as my Dad had a plot.

I love broad, French, runner beans and raw peas from the pods ...... ours rarely get into the kitchen.  Sweet corn I came to much later, asparagus has been in my Life for ever.
Potatoes in any form ...........
Red beet roasted with a chicken then cold or stir fried if there's any left over:  parsnips, roasted.  Peppers the same, swede boiled then mashed with butter and black pepper - lots of.

We are picking strawberries, raspberries, red currants and white won't be far behind.  Either eaten fresh with a little sugar added or frozen if we have lots.  Home grown home made jam on toast is a tasty treat in the colder months.

Raw chopped cabbage.  Never tried Kale  :-\, carrots are boring  ;D.  Although when chopped into a stir fry they add colour. 

I am not a fish (except freshly caught mackerel with brown bread and butter ) nor lamb person.  Beef from our local butchers' shop, as well as chicken in most forms: curried, roasted, cold with freshly cooked veg. ...........

tripe; corned beef; octopus or squid; would never cross the threshold  ;D

I could go on too ............  :whist: