Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 1197 times)

MagH

Newbie here
« on: July 13, 2021, 02:44:21 PM »

Hi everyone,

I’ve joined the forum in the hope of finding a way through the joys of this life stage and hoping to come out the other side with some sanity intact! 😉

I’m 52 and for most of my adult life I could virtually time my periods to the day but then a few years ago it all changed! My periods became irregular and I was exhausted all the time, blood tests picked up that I had a vitamin B12 and D deficiency and I was treated for those but the periods have remained erratic, sometimes I have gone for two or three months with no period at all and other times I have bled for just a day or up to five weeks straight!

Up until now I have put it down to nature and just got on with it but now every bleed has become very heavy to the point where I dread leaving the house in case of an incident so I am finally seeking medical help to try to get things under control and to get some of my life back 🙂

Best wishes to you all
MagH

jaypo

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 04:08:17 PM »

Hi MagH and welcome to the forum,sorry about the joys of menopause,have you had scans etc? I had fibroids which caused horrendous flooding etc,good that you're going to the Dr,sometimes we need help through all of this

MagH

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:18:18 PM »

Hi and thank you, this menopause stage is definitely a challenge isn’t it!

I’ve spoken with my GP today and explained how the bleeding is now affecting my day to day life so they’ve taken blood tests this afternoon and have started me on a 10 day course of Norethisterone to hopefully stop or at least reduce the current bleeding.

He’s also referred me for an ultrasound scan as he mentioned the possibility of fibroids/endometriosis and wants to check that first, which is something I hadn’t even considered before.

Somewhat naively I thought I’d sail through menopause with no problems, it wasn’t until I was reading a list of possible perimenopause symptoms that I realised how many I actually have! 🤦‍♀️

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 06:32:26 PM »

Oh good,an ultrasound will show if it's fibroids and where they are,I eventually had a hysterectomy as fibroids were large but it was the best thing I ever did,no more flooding etc. The list is endless for meno symptoms,some begger belief,ask away pretty much anything on here,always someone to help  :)

MagH

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 08:26:06 PM »

Thank you, I actually feel a lot more positive this evening that things can get better and even just reading the various pages on this forum is being really helpful already 🙂