Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello from Scotland!  (Read 1207 times)

Berto77

Hello from Scotland!
« on: July 08, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »

Hello all,

I am 43 and in Scotland, I believe I am perimenopausal although my period is currently awol so who knows! I think I may have been peri for a few year already without realising. In my case things are complicated by the fact that I have suffered quite badly with Migraine especially since my early 30's which may have masked some peri symptoms? I actually didn't work for several years they were so bad. However over a few years I saw a neurologist and tried various things and eventually got them back under control and got a bit of my life back. It's been short lived though as perimenopause seems to be ramping the migraines back up making life miserable again along with restless legs, hot flushes, sleep problems etc.

I guess I feel like I've already had my life severely impacted by ill health, I missed the time when I could have had children because I was so sick and my career just ended. I want to be well in the next phase of my life but I'm already really struggling. I watched my mum go through horrors with her menopause and her struggles to access hrt and I don't want the same thing to happen to me, I feel like I've already done my time!

Its taken me a while to really admit that I am here, I cried over thinking well this is it I'm menopausal, its all down hill from here, I just didn't want to accept it. However doing some reading here and Louise Newsom has made me realise that I'll be much worse off for burying my head in the sand and pretending its not happening so I am going ot my GP about it. I'm not quite ready to shout about it from the rooftops just yet but I'm on board with trying to remove the taboo and shame around menopause!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 11:23:50 AM by Berto77 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello from Scotland!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 11:25:55 AM »

Get your head out of that sand dune and join in  ;):welcomemm:

Peri menopause is when periods begin to wax and wane as well as other issues presenting themselves.  Once we have been without a period for 12 months we can believe that we are through The Change although some symptoms may continue to annoy.

Did U ever find out the cause of migraines?  They are something that I dread and often become problematic as our hormones rise and fall.  Where they cyclic?

Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress, so that we can that there is light at the end of the tunnel!

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 11:26:56 AM »

Whoops pushed 'go' too soon  ::)

MayB decide which symptom you would like ease first, then ask on here how others have coped?  We don't bite  ;)

Berto77

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 12:58:29 PM »

Get your head out of that sand dune and join in  ;):welcomemm:

Peri menopause is when periods begin to wax and wane as well as other issues presenting themselves.  Once we have been without a period for 12 months we can believe that we are through The Change although some symptoms may continue to annoy.

Did U ever find out the cause of migraines?  They are something that I dread and often become problematic as our hormones rise and fall.  Where they cyclic?

Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress, so that we can that there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks for the welcome CLKD! 

The cause of my migraines is elusive, they seem to be caused by everything and nothing although they were always worse around my period due to the drop in estrogen I think. They were better controlled for a while but seem to be getting worse again.

I am going to start tracking my various symptoms, moods, etc to see if their is a pattern and to see if HRT, if they let me try it will help any!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 01:00:37 PM »

One can have HRT delivered by patches which might be 'safer' ..........

Berto77

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 01:16:05 PM »

I've read that and think the patches would be what I'd prefer but need to see what the doctor says!