Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How long does this thing last!!!  (Read 1828 times)

Busy Bee

• First Flush
How long does this thing last!!!
« on: July 06, 2021, 02:03:31 PM »

A real cry from the heart and would love to hear back.

Started getting ridiculous night sweats at the age of 42. Did not occur to me that this would be the menopause. I had always suffered badly with my periods, with mood swings, tiredness, water retention etc so many symptoms would have been masked.
Periods became less regular for many years, which was my cue to the fact I was winding down. The symptoms became increasingly torrid, I have real difficulties in finding the best HRT as my body reacts very violently with nasty side effects very quickly. I am now 53 and night sweats have made a unwelcome comeback. Not the reunion any one would want.

So that is it, and I want to know what is a reliable way to tell when it is coming to the end. Signs etc, and do I get a medal and a prize for survivinng???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How long does this thing last!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »

You get the medal = 🏅 🎖  :medal:

What was the worst part about any treatment that you tried?   Some can take 4-6 months B4 benefit is felt.  Were you given the opportunity of patches instead of tablets?

If you were 42 that is quite 'young' so HRT would protect bones and heart.  It lasts .......... as long as a piece of string  ::).  Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary? 

U could ask your GP for a referral to a menopause clinic for a more varied advice about the whole range of HRT.  Some GPs don't dip into the range enough .......

Which symptom would you like to ease first?

Busy Bee

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 03:57:58 PM »

You know, in terms of the symptoms etc, that is covered really.

My main question was about how long the menopause lasts. It's been ten years now and is there a test to find out. I know there is not a definite time scale, but are there signs as to when it is drawing to an end?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 08:17:42 PM »

Peri-menopause: when our periods wax and wane and we become aware of other changes : can also for 10 years+.  Menopause is literally the last monthly period.  Problem being we don't always know when that might be  ::).  My periods were intermittent for years, then I noticed that they had stopped.  Have no idea when exactly as I was going through
stuff  :-\.  Menopause is for ever, in that it's the end of periods.  Usually symptoms ease ...........

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »

Hmmmmm.....not sure I can say with confidence that symptoms ease in postmenopause, certainly in my case. The GSM side of things has definitely worsened for me. Personally, I would say symptoms change or are different, but don't necessarily ease? Sadly!

Busy Bee

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 01:07:06 PM »

postmeno 3

That is helpful if not the answer I wanted. It would explain why I still feel as if I have a cycle and the re-emergence of the night sweats, but without the head. So - it is infinite like the universe but not in a good way. Thank for sharing it has helped

Berto77

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 11:23:02 AM »

My mum went though the menopause in her 40's, got on hrt eventually and did ok for a few years before being forced off be her doctor in her mid 50's. She had terrible symptoms flushes, sweats, mood swings and no sleep at all. However she thought it was just something she needed to get though like the doctors said. She is now nearly 70 and still has all those symptoms going on to some degree, sometimes quite badly. She also has osteopenia and has had a few bad breaks in the years since she came off hrt.

To me it seems like its not just that HRT helps you though the menopause but that lack of estrogen is a real issue for older women. I think her lack of sleep over the years has really damaged her health and I wonder if she should consider going back on hrt. On the other hand my mother in law seems fine and was never bothered much by menopausal symptoms!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 11:28:43 AM »

MayB both go to a menopause clinic Berto77?  Have a look-C to see whether there is one close by, ring to find out how to get an appt., U may not require a GP referral letter.  Your Mum should not have to suffer!  Age is a Number, don't be fobbed off.  How does she feel about trying HRT?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 11:29:47 AM »

Also, if your Mum has vaginal atrophy, although treated with 'HRT', she should not be denied appropriate medication!  Do read our 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads.  Make notes ;-)

Berto77

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 12:52:29 PM »

MayB both go to a menopause clinic Berto77?  Have a look-C to see whether there is one close by, ring to find out how to get an appt., U may not require a GP referral letter.  Your Mum should not have to suffer!  Age is a Number, don't be fobbed off.  How does she feel about trying HRT?

Thanks CLKD! I think my mum is worried about putting herself though it all again, and about going on but then having to come off and having symptoms worsening as a result. I will send her some information about the newer types of hrt and treatment and the topical estrogen for vaginal atrophy. She did actually go to a menopause clinic at the sandyford many years ago now but didn't have a positive experience but I think the clinic may have been rather new at that point and that the newer treatments were not yet available. She could probabaly afford to go private but I think the first step would be to send her some of the relevent information so she could understand that help is still available for her.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 01:02:03 PM »

One should never accept 'live with it' attitude.  What people outside the science world forget, is that great strides are made every week but keeping up with Trials etc. is difficult.  Life gets in the way.

Do encourage your Mum to make a note of her symptoms etc. then ask ;-)

Berto77

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 01:16:59 PM »

I will definetly encourage her and send her a link for this forum!