Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Blood test results  (Read 736 times)

Nonnie1983

Blood test results
« on: July 02, 2021, 04:19:14 PM »

So currently in the process of being diagnosed with POF after being diagnosed with peri 5yrs ago & symptoms recently worsening. Night sweats have came back & still no sign of period (last one was 8th May). I'm disturbing so much in the night, I'm really struggling to function during the day now 😩
Anyway, had my 1st lots of bloods back which have apparently come back clear but Dr said the best time to do the 2nd lot is between day 1 & 5 of my next period (if it ever arrives?!) slightly disheartened that nothing showed up, more frustrating than anything as I'm at my whits end with it all 🙈 just waiting for ultrasound appointment & she said once that's been done & 2nd bloods come back, regardless of results, we can start considering HRT... Question is, what am I meant to do in the meantime?! I'm also really anxious to learn how symptoms of POF & menopause can be similar to pregnancy... But my hubby had the snip 12yrs ago & I have been 100% faithful. My periods have always been regular although shorter/lighter the last few times. What on earth is going on 🙈

Hurdity

Re: Blood test results
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 07:01:24 PM »

Hi Nonnie1983

This website has information on Premature Menopause and POI - can be found via the main menu - first section - menopause.

Here is the info about testing for menopause:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

If your period doesn't come  soon (though not sure how soon) then ask for blood tests anyway because at your age it would be advised to start HRT as you progress towards menopause . Do you know at what point in your cycle the bloods were taken last time?

Take note of this point:

"If having a blood level measured, the blood sample should be taken on the 3rd to 5th day of a period. A normal level does not exclude early menopausal transition and a raised level does not exclude continuing ovarian function"

Have a look at this ( and the other tabs) as well:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pm-investigations.php

Periods become closer together during what is known as the Late Reproductive Stage when ovaries are starting to fail. After this the cycles start to lengthen and then you become properly peri-menopausal if they are consistently variable (!).

If your periods have always been regular until just recently, then I am puzzled as to why you were diagnosed as peri-menopausal 5 years ago, Cycle length is one of the main factors in determining whethermenopause is beginning (and in combination with age and symptoms).

All the best
Hurdity x

Nonnie1983

Re: Blood test results
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 04:53:12 PM »

Thanks for your reply & useful links, much appreciated. The bloods were done about a week ago but I'm not sure where abouts I was in my cycle due to the irregularity with my periods over the last 3-4 months. My last one was 8th May but before that, I'd had 2 in one month.
Anyway, had a good chat with a different Dr & she advised that when I come on, to ring the surgery & arrange bloods within 3-5 days. I actually started bleeding last night so rang Dr's 1st thing & I'm going in tomorrow morning to get them done. Still waiting for ultrasound appointment...
This period is knocking me for 6, horrendous cramps, heavy flow & feeling drained today 😩 just when I thought they were getting a bit more bearable! Previous to this, the flow has been very light & only lasting a couple of days. Always suffered with the cramps unfortunately regardless 🙄
Peri was diagnosed 5yrs ago as a result of FSH levels in last lot of bloods & symptoms at the time (and ever since!) I was informed that it could last upto 10yrs... Hoping that's not the case, 5yrs is enough!