Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan making me very tired!  (Read 22589 times)

Liz

Utrogestan making me very tired!
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:45:30 AM »

Hi Ladies - I know that Utrogestan can make you sleep well, but it's been knocking me out.  Also feel very tired during the day too.  I've been taking it for 4 nights now and I know it's not necessarily a bad side effect, but just wanted to check it's normal.  Also been having quite vivid dreams as well - not nightmares, thankfully. 

Anyone else experienced this?

honeybun

Re: Utrogestan making me very tired!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:16:58 AM »

To minimize the side effects you could use it vaginally to see if that helps.

Honeyb
x

Liz

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »

Thanks Stellajane. No, I'm taking the 200g on nights 15-26 of my cycle only.  I'm still have periods atm.  I'm seeing my GP this afternoon anyway so will mention it to her.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:57:39 AM »

Hi Liz
Keep going with the Utrogestan as it is a good one to be on - perhaps try it vaginally as suggested.
If you eventually find Utrogestan doesn't suit you then there are other options.
I used Oestrogel daily with Noresthisterone tablets for 10 days per month for many years. I just got a headache for a day or so before the bleed and some period pain on the first day of the bleeding. I always suffered badly with period pain so that was the worst thing for me - many women don't get bad period pain.
The other alternative would be to have a Mirena fitted (it's also a contraceptive which is convenient through peri) and this would result in scanty bleeds and eventually no bleed at all - you then just use the oestrogen patches.
 Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 02:00:18 PM »

Hi Liz

I get progressively tired as I get further into the course - and I use it vaginally! First 5 days usually more or less OK then get foggy headed. I'm just on Day 9 at the moment of mine. I always wake up tired and heavy like my head is stuck to the pillow but I am not sleeping very well anyway, and also tired during the day. Yes very vivid dreams! Despite this I would not take any other progestogen because this is the one in our body makes! Unfortunately we have to take it at higher amounts than we actually need to ensure that sufficient gets to the uterus.  Hence the side effects. It is a very unstable compound and especially when taken orally.

Hurdity x

Liz

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »

Thanks Hurdity!  I feel fine on it..... I can cope with a bit of tiredness. :)  I tried Norethisterone before and that made me feel terrible and I appreciate I've got the "best" progesterone so won't be changing it.

Just need to get the Oestrogel sorted, then hopefully all will be well.  GP is adamant I'm doing the right thing by using the HRT - she even consulted Menopause Matters about the Oestrogel and she highly approves of this site!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »

It's good to hear about a GP with some common sense.
Keep us posted Liz.  DG x

Liz

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »

Thanks Dg - I will certainly keep you posted.  I'm sorry that so many other ladies don't have  such supportive doctors.

Spangles

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 06:36:48 AM »

Hi Liz

I experienced exactly the same, I couldn't stay awake! Reluctantly I tried using Utrogestan vaginally and I must say it alleviated the tiredness almost immediately, I wouldn't use it any other way now. Hope you get sorted.

Shellb
xXx

Jkw2408

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »

Hi all. I might be being a bit thick here but is it the same capsules which you can also use vaginally? I am enjoying the sleep they’re giving me but I am feeling very dopey in the mornings.

Sarahjaynexo

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 01:10:40 PM »

I took two utrogestan last night and feel tired and headache.

I'm wondering if I'm better off taking just the one?

alibeau

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 05:41:00 PM »

Hi all. I might be being a bit thick here but is it the same capsules which you can also use vaginally? I am enjoying the sleep they’re giving me but I am feeling very dopey in the mornings.

I am also wondering this! I used to take 200mg on nights 15 to 26, I increased this to nights 15 to 28 this month as the utro definitely stops my anxiety in its tracks…

I was debating switching to 100mg for 25 nights out of 28….. (possibly more suitable for post meno? I am 49….)

However as my anxiety has not kicked back in this month as expected when I stop the utro I wonder if I would benefit from sticking with my current regime but instead of taking it orally, try vaginally? If I do, do I stick with 200mg?

Thanks all.

Ali xx

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 09:56:04 PM »

The capsules are the same and can be used either orally or vaginally though in the UK, unlike the rest of Europe, vaginally is off licence. The manufacturer thinks you should use the same dose but Louise newson thinks you can halve it (so 12 days x 100mg for sequi or 100mg every other day for conti. Take you pick who you believe but possibly better to stick to the full dose unless you have side effects?
If you're peri you can use a conti routine but you may get breakthrough bleeding. Probably more important to have the 3 day break too as this is to allow a bleed if there's been a build up.
Anxiety caused by oestrogen deficiency (and of course there are other causes of anxiety too) does seem to need a build up of oestrogen over weeks before you see much benefit.