Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: NHS & Testing levels.  (Read 1199 times)

Postmeno3

NHS & Testing levels.
« on: July 04, 2021, 12:05:19 PM »

Hi. Why does the NHS not test for hormone levels? I suppose I can understand it being possibly unreliable during the fluctuating periods, but even then, a series of tests could give an average or baseline? Postmenopausally, when many of us have flatlined, wouldn't it save a lot of time, money and effort finding out how to pitch the prescribing more straightforwardly? 🤔

Nas

Re: NHS & Testing levels.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 12:15:03 PM »

Totally agree with you! I am post meno and 2 years on, feel like a rabbit down a dark hole, trying to strike a balance with my damm hormones. It's hell on earth for me and the family. Menopause support and treatment is SO under resourced/funded/non existant, in my view.

All this 'wait three months' before you increase/decrease/change regime' nonsence. Like all of us have got months and months to watch and wait to see if we feel better?

I am with you 100%.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 12:33:35 PM »

Hormone levels differ for every woman, so there isn’t a level which says that you’ll feel ok. X

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 12:50:13 PM »

Maybe within a range, then? Why does the private sector prioritise it? 🤔

Nas

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 01:12:58 PM »

On my letter is says my range should be 250-600. It is currently zero.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 02:52:21 PM »

Because the private companies can charge huge amounts? as well as blood tests being reliably unreliable?

Hormone levels alter throughout 24 hours.  Some hormones need to be tested at a certain time in the month ......... I suspect those who have undergone IVF would know more.  My Gynae treats on symptoms.

Also, it is known that even if a patient has a 'within normal limits' result for thyroid function, even if the patient continues to complain of feeing ill, many GPs won't ask for further testing  :-\

KarineT

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 03:50:36 PM »

Nas, are you saying you're 2 years postmeno?  I am 17 months postmeno - I haven't had a period since February 2020.  I knew almost straight away I was postmeno as I've never been on HRT and February 2020 I did a blood test called Menocheck.  It tests the AMH levels (ovarian reserve) rather than oestradiol  and when I got the results a few days later my ovarian reserve was low.  I was told that I was postmeno.  This test must have been accurate   This year I had my oestradiol checked privately but not through a meno clinic and it was 586 pmol.  I am not sure if it dropped even further since but I will get it checked again because, I would say, in postmenno there shouldn't be much fluctuatiion, if any at all. Therefore a hormones test in postmeno could be more reliable than in peri.  Some say that the oestradiol level in postmeno should be in the region 100 pmol. If this correct then why was mine still 586 pmol 12 months postmeno?   I cannot imagine one could be postmeno and still have a fairly high level of oestradiol.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 03:54:44 PM »

One is menopausal after 12 months without a period, however; mine waxed and waned  >:(  ::) until I realised that they had stopped  8)

Apart from requiring VA treatment I've not had too many problems thus far so I assume that my oestrogen levels are 'enough' 4 me.

KarineT

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 03:58:48 PM »

Do our periods stop because of a depleted ovarian reserve or becsuse of low oestrogen & progesterone or both?

pepperminty

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 04:02:47 PM »

I think that readings can give a general level. They can be useful.

I remember some ladies on here having thier NHS GP do some tests and although they felt ok, the reading was very low and they felt very dispondent as although they felt ok, they were not getting any benefit from the HRt as the estrogen reading was tiny. they felt that all that faff and monthly bleeding for nothing. They were able to change the dosage/ type to help an without the reading they woud have been unaware.

Therefore I do not think that symptoms alone should be the gold standard. I think  that a reading should be done for reference. I have got several levels done over the years myself and they have always been roughly the same .

The reason they do not do them routinely is I suspect a cost thing. And also that women's health care on the HRt side of things is very poor- as per the recent documentay by Davina McCall.

I guarantee that if men had the manopause ( sorry about the pun) that they would be having blood tests and levels done regularly and there would be loads more choices and types.

PMxx

KarineT

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 04:02:57 PM »

Hi CkLD,

Do you think that even i  postmeno the hormone levels vary?  Do you think it's correct when they say the oestradiol level should be around 100 pmol in postmeno?

Nas

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 04:26:25 PM »

Hi Karine,
In truth, I have no idea about levels in the post meno phase. You are right though, you would think they would stabilise eventually. You can function with a high or low dose of O I think, but when the fluctuations kick off, that’s when the problems begin??

When medics talk about optimum ranges, I wonder if they mean for brain, bone and heart protection?

It’s a mine field for sure. My last natural period was August 2018. I’m well and truly post menopause. Bloods have confirmed this. However, I’ve been messing with HRT and that has caused bleeding and all sorts. But, without it, the heat waves are horrid. Trying hard to get on an even keel and failing miserably

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2021, 05:19:38 PM »

Karine - I think the person to ask is Dr Currie or look on Louise Newsom's website.  I have been lucky: after years (my 1st period slightly B4 my 11th birthday) of heavy, clotty extremely painful periods, sometimes 10 days on, 10 off ......... I went on the Pill in the 1960s.  Which gave me less pain.  I was then sterilised 12 years later.  No discussion about blood tests for hormones. 

I have no idea how my hormones actually worked.  Which phase might be oestrogen or progesterone.  It was as it was. 

However, if one is unable 2 conceive, Gyneas have to work through the reasons why including doing intense hormone blood tests.  As every woman is different I think over all we need to keep note of symptoms etc., as well as the medical profession starting to listen to us when we go along for advice.

After all, menopause is natural and normal. Until symptoms become unbearable.  H-replacement-T - replacement is often forgotten by ladies as well as medics. 

EllaAurora

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 05:43:04 PM »

Hello ladies,

For me testing hormone levels has been helpful when symptoms have indicated that something is not right.

At first, when HRT was working great, it didn't even occur to me to ask for tests and gynae didn't offer any. (Now I'm actually thinking, though, that it would be great to know what the levels were at the beginning of this year, when I was feeling excellent. I'd know what the target would be.)

Since my situation worsened in March, getting blood tests has actually been quite helpful to understand directionally what's going on (e.g. if Estradiol is too high/low and if I'm absorbing transdermally). Of course symptoms are still the main guide but combined with blood tests one gets a more comprehensive picture.