Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post menopausal issues  (Read 800 times)

Gillybobs

• First Flush
Post menopausal issues
« on: July 06, 2021, 08:46:54 AM »

Hi All

Hoping someone can offer advice as I feel quite lost at the moment. 

I'm 61 years old and have gone through menopause with not too many problems.  I was probably around 54/55 when I started having mild night sweats but over the last 2/3 years my mood swings have been quite dramatic.  One day I feel on top of the world the next day, I can feel suicidal.  I'm not on any medication (only pessary) and I've read that low levels of estrogen can affect mood. 

I'm thinking of going private as I've not much faith in GP as I think they'd just prescribe antidepressants and I'd like someone to investigate to get to the root cause.  I live near Glasgow so hoping you gals can offer some advice.

Thank you  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post menopausal issues
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 09:32:48 AM »

Hi!  Well Dr Currie, who began this Forum, I believe works in your region  ;)

:welcomemm:  ADs can help.  But as with HRT, it can be Trial and Error finding medication which suits.

Are your mood swings cyclical? i.e. around the time that you would feel low prior to a bleed?  Ovaries can still kick out a small amount of hormone apparently.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress. 

I assume by pessary you have 'vagifem', we have threads about 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' too  ::).  You shouldn't need to go private, make a list of your symptoms, chat with a Nurse Practitioner or GP, see how the land lies.  If U don't feel supported, ask for a referral to a menopause clinic.  Not a Gyane but directly to the appropriate clinic. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Gillybobs

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 09:41:33 AM »

Hi

Thanks for your response.  I did start a diary but couldn't see a regular pattern so ditched it!  What scares me is the extreme lows and how they make me feel, I  have actually self harmed once but I've promised myself I would never do it again. 

Yes, maybe get list together for GP & see what they say.

Thanks again,  it's just good to know I can chat about this sort of stuff !

:)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 11:22:48 AM »

I think that an appt with a menopause clinic would be the 1st route.  If you are depressed enough to self harm, that needs addressing.  It is known that women are driven to kill for example at certain times of their cycle, Dr Kath Dalton did a lot of work in the 1990s.  Have a lookC at National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome (NAPS).  I was told to eat every 3 hours, 24/7, to ease those anxiety surges.  U may find that grazing would help.  The advice certainly helped me to a more even keel, it took 2-3 months B4 I got into the habit though  ::)

I had a puppy at that time so when she went out to P in the early hours, B4 going back to sleep I would have a couple of biscuits.  It didn't her long to suss that 1 out  ;D.

Let us know how you get on?  Push the point at how low you feel and the effects!

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 12:38:07 PM »

I strongly recommend you contact Dr. Currie for advice. She has a contact link in the black box at the top of the page, under Contact. Her advice and recommendations are invaluable and are held in very high regard by the medical profession. She charges £30 for this contact which, in my experience, was full, supportive and knowledgeable without too great a limit on how much was asked. My gut feeling is this is the stepping stone you need if you can manage it. Good luck!
P.S. You might be moved into "All Things Menopause" section and a wider response might come from there, too!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 12:59:19 PM by Postmeno3 »

pepperminty

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 07:34:48 AM »

Hi Gillybobs,

Seeking help is the best thing you can do. Lots of ladies feel dreadful mentally during this time. HRT is recommended by NICE guidelines as the first line for menopausal symptoms, if that is something you would consider?  Dr Currie would defo be a good place to start for help. 
Let us know how you get on and post here for support if you need to. You are not alone.
Have a look at Louise Newson's website also as there is lots of useful info on symptoms of menopause etc.

PMxx