Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Post-nasal drip - yet another menopause symptom?  (Read 2148 times)

Patchsmama

Post-nasal drip - yet another menopause symptom?
« on: July 19, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »

Hello everyone.

Just wondered whether anyone else suffers from a post-nasal drip?  It started about 18 months ago when I'm convinced that I had Covid-19 before it was officially a 'thing'.  Often, if I've had a cold, I get one and then it clears up.  However, this one never really did.  GP prescribed a nasal spray, then after a few weeks the drip disappeared for a while.  I'm not convinced that the spray made a difference.  Last March, it came back and I do think it's probably down to reflux as I had a cough.  It just feels like I'm swallowing gunk and eventually it sits there, horrid.  My GP prescribed a month's worth of Esomeprazole which seemed to clear it up but 48hrs after finishing the course, it started again.

I spoke to my GP again last week and he still thinks it's reflux as the medication worked.  I am on day 6 of Esomeprazole today.  He said to start it daily, then try every other day and possibly every third day depending upon symptoms.  Yesterday it was hardly there at all but today it's back - ugh!  The only other thing I can think of is that I have been mostly dairy free for 4 years (though not strictly) after I suffered IBS following a course of Metronidazole for a dental abscess.  I can now seem to tolerate dairy without the abdominal symptoms (cramps, etc) and have reintroduced it in the past few weeks.  I did wonder whether it's worth completely cutting out dairy though not sure how long I'd need to do it for before I noticed any difference.  I also bought some Kefir drink (which is dairy) but haven't tried that yet. 

Sorry so long!!  If anyone's had anything similar and had any successful treatment, I'd love to know.  Thanks so much :-)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post-nasal drip - yet another menopause symptom?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 10:34:17 PM »

Hi!  I've had allergic rhinitis with drip since the 1970s.  It becomes worse when I heat up  ::) , i.e. going into a warm room from the cold, my sneezing begins. Loudly! and lots of it. I can get through a box of Kleenex in about 30 mins..  That's man size ...........

I did have Beconase nasal spray in the 1980s, it was the only time that I had break through bleeding whilst on The Pill.  So your symptoms may wellB hormonal.

Reflux is usually different.  I have that too  ::) 4 me they are unrelated.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 09:14:26 AM »

My son and myself are both sufferers of it but we are both CF carriers so that may be reason for us. Both his and mine are made worse by allergies, dust in my case and pollen in his. We both use Beconase nasal spray.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 09:56:14 AM »

This sounds like Silent Reflux which often only shows itself as a feeling of constant catt? If so then the treatment is usually to continue with the medication in order to calm down the amount of stomach acid. https://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/patient-information-leaflets/head%20and%20neck%20ent%20silent%20reflux%20lpr%20eor

Hope this helps. It does make you feel horrible when you have to cope with the mucus build up all of the time. Watching diet is important. I found with my normal reflux (hiatus hermia) the worst culprits are chocolate and wine but also anything acidic such as orange juice or lemonade. My son has just had a barrage of tests to try to find the cause of his feeling of phlegm in the throat. He never considered reflux as a cause but the acidic monitor he had to wear for 24 hours showed that he has too much stomach acid in the back of his throat.

Taz x

Patchsmama

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 01:53:46 PM »

Hi Ladies

Many thanks for your responses.  I have bought some Beconase today but am not anticipating much by way of results as I think it's similar to the nasal spray which the GP prescribed.  My nose isn't blocked, really, except for initially at night, but I'll give it a try.

I, too, think it's probably silent reflux, after much googling which doesn't do my health anxiety any good!!  I am on day 6 of the esomeprazole today and really wanted to try taking it any other day but, am guessing, that I need to carry on daily until symptoms improve.  I told my GP that I was concerned about side effects of PPIs but he was reassuring so I guess it's okay to carry on daily until they do improve.  Looking at the literature Taz supplied, it could be some time.  It just makes me feel a bit down, I'm not overweight, probably have a small glass of wine once every three months (though would like more!!), don't smoke. Sadly, I think chocolate does affect it though as I seem to get indigestion after eating it.  Sorry to go on!!!  I know things could be worse.

I'll keep on with the esomeprazole daily for a while and see what happens.  It definitely worked before so fingers crossed.  Huge thanks again. xxx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 10:05:34 AM »

It took around three months for my son to begin to see results but he was on omeprazole ( same as me) which is slightly different to esomeprazole I think.

PPIs do get a bad press but my doctor explained that if I didn't get my oesophageal ulceration under control then the risk of oesophageal cancer was higher than the small risks from long-term omeprazole use. It may be that you do need a low dose to keep things comfortable for you if dietary changes don't work.

I hope you soon begin to feel better.

Taz x

Patchsmama

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 08:21:42 AM »

Hi again

I am still pretty much the same since starting the Esomeprazole 20mg 3 weeks ago.  I'd really hoped that I'd see some improvement by now. Stupidly, I reduced the dose to every other day which my GP said I could do, though I think he probably meant when symptoms had settled.  Taz, I know that you said it was around 3 months before you saw improvement with the mucus at the back of the throat (I also have the cough).  Do you think there's hope yet?  I went back to 20mg daily a week ago but no difference yet.  Guess I am just impatient and want to feel better as it gets me down.  When I took Esomeprazole before, it was definitely better after 3 weeks, though I took it daily.  I probably need to look at diet too as I had some fizzy water last night which was really bad news as I had indigestion afterwards.  Sorry to go on.  I just want it better.