Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Does a 'Grade 2' prolapse mean inevitable surgery? Can't face the knife again..  (Read 1176 times)

Iris67

After a gynae in 2016 and 2019 telling me I didn't have signs of a prolapse, in 2021 I was told I have a grade 2 vaginal wall (front and back) prolapse. I bloody knew something was wrong but got ignored. I am gutted and I have had 5 other surgeries in my life (including 2 for cancer) and I just cannot face another. Especially with the potential for complications.

I guess I need to face the truth - but are there any success stories out there without surgery?

Joaniepat

Have you consulted a women's health physio? They can help with prolapse I believe. Might be worth a shot.

JP x

Iris67

Hi Joaniepat - yes I have seen one, was just wondering what the real world of the forum has experienced rather than the theory.  :)

Kathleen

Hello Iris67

I haven't had this experience myself but a friend told me recently that she has been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst, two fibroids and a prolapse.  I don't know the details about the prolapse but she said that she has had a ring device fitted and it's working well.  I'm sorry that I can't be of more help but perhaps you can look on Google for more information.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Don't use accept 'mesh' treatment though !   :-\

Iris67

Yes CLKD I've seen all that dreadful press - the lawsuits, the awful injuries and pain...and are they trying to find a different solution? Are they 'eck - just a different material for the same surgery. After all it's only us women!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Who know our bodies the best ?

Taz2

I had a front wall repair at the same time as my hysterectomy for prolapse. No mesh thank goodness. I think the ring pessary can work well. What advice have you been given by the physio? I hope you have been given exercises to do to help strengthen the front and back walls. Are you on HRT?

Taz x

Sparkler

Hi there,
I had surgery for front and back prolapse back in 1997, no mesh, and was told the rear one was quite large at around 10 cm diameter. The surgeon said he expected the repair to last 10 to 15 years. I went back in 2005 and was told it did need redoing, but there was no actual danger in leaving it and I would just gradually become more uncomfortable and want it repeating. And here we are in 2021!

I would firstly recommend reading stuff by Michelle Kenway, ‘Inside Out’ who is a women’s physio and is really clear on what exercises we can do which will strengthen our cores without damaging ourselves. Lots of Pilates and yoga moves are damaging for a prolapse. Her workout (which you can do on any level) is suitable for either managing prolapse, or post surgery. My backache went in 2 weeks doing her vid 3 times a week.

Secondly I would think about the symptoms you are having from the rear prolapse. Becoming constipated directly makes it worse so you need to find a way to manage this. I use glycerin suppositories when I feel I need to (a few times each month). These work for me because it can be quite sudden that my bowels are unable to empty.

So I didn’t avoid surgery initially, but I have been avoiding it for the last 16 years. I can’t say I will never have surgery, if it gets really bad, but I can live with getting up in the night for a wee, managing my bowels and being careful what I do exercise wise.

I hope that was the kind of response you were after? Feel free to DM me if needed.

Oh, and Vagifem really helps too! It keeps everything more comfortable and toned, avoiding those horrid saggy feelings.

Let me know how you get on
Sparkler
xx
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 07:14:24 AM by Sparkler »

Taz2

If you do a search Iris67 there is a lady on here who has found an Inflataball from Stress No More helpful with prolapse.
I've considered it but am coping with my regime for now i.e topical oestrogen and monitoring with the GP.
An old nursing friend of mine advised avoiding surgery unless i really knew the surgeon.

It's mentioned in this thread https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,57617.msg820080.html#msg820080

Taz x