Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT at 61  (Read 1168 times)

Booblet

HRT at 61
« on: July 01, 2021, 09:57:05 AM »

Hi everyone,
I have been taking bioidentical hrt for the last year, it's been OK.

BUT  I  can no longer afford it. It was costing me £60.00 a month! I had to stop takingt  it 3 months ago and I feel horrendous.

I suffered with many, many allergies, hence, I thought bioidentical hrt would be better for me.

Spoke to GP just now and I really am heartbroken. She stated I was too old for HRT. I  am 61.

However, I had private blood test a few months ago, and it shows my Estrogen and Progesterone are nearly nonexistent.  At "rock bottom" was stated!

I told th GP re:above blood tests, and she stated, Quote, " well, you didn't have them here" She,was so dismissive. Eventually,  after stating to her that I have very, very slight bleeds more or less every month,  BUT not in the last few months.  She referred me to a Menopause Clinic. BUT said it could be months before appointment!

The (private) tests showed I had a little Estrogen,  and that's why I have been having periods. I was also tested for Testosterone and ACTH - both rock bottom.

I dont know what to do.

Please help.

Booblet

Julia Dizzy

Re: HRT at 61
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 01:28:02 PM »

Hi, you are certainly not too old to be on HRT!.

My Gp refused me too at the age of 63 saying I was too old  :bang:, but agreed to refer me to a local NHS menopause clinic. The Dr there put me on it straight away, 2 pumps gel and 100mg Utrogestan orally daily.
He sent a letter to my Gp who then put it on repeat prescription and am still on the same dosage now. I do not have to pay anything! My only issue is my Gp won't change anything without referring to Meno clinic which is a bit of a pain, as they have stopped appointments for the duration of Covid and it can be difficult to contact.

I have recently changed to estradot 50 patches instead of the gel but that is a matter of preference.

Good luck and don't be fobbed off! xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 02:05:55 PM »

R U in the UK and if so, why are you paying for treatment available on the NHS  :-\

Dougalina

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 03:29:41 PM »

I think if you read the post again CLKD, you will see that the OP has already been refused by her GP and has therefore gone private.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles Booblet, and I really hope your referral to the menopause clinic comes sooner rather than later. 

Best wishes

D

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 03:40:16 PM »

Yep.  Re-read it  ::).  B4 an exam., read the test paper twice then lift your pen .......... [note to self]  ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 08:29:14 AM by CLKD »

pepperminty

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 04:40:45 PM »

Hi Booblet,

. As long as you are aware of the risks and benefits there is no reason why you should not be prescribed HRT. I would go onto Louise newson's website and clue yourself up. Please see my recent post on here regarding her pod casts which will give you a bit more amo. Once you are clear, call the GP up and ask him (as previously said here) to refer you to the menopause clinic.

The risk of osteoporosis , heart attack  and many other conditions are improved by HRT and you are more at risk of  breast cancer if you drink, are over weight  or smoke!

You do not need to pay .

I do hope you feel strong enough to start the ball rolling.

PMXX

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 08:19:53 PM »

Juliadizzy, can you tell me how you are doing on your hrt, side effects etc.  Sorry booblet don't mean to interrupt your thread.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 10:03:50 PM »

Can you see a different gp? Or change doctor? Your gp, like many others, doesn't know what he's talking about. The NICE guidelines use to say stop at 60 but now there is no age limit. Your gp should be perfectly capable of prescribing hrt, you shouldn't need a meno clinic.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 08:29:51 AM »

Shouldn't need a meno clinic but sometimes it's the best way of getting GPs to listen  :-\

suzysunday

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 12:07:31 PM »

Everything's round the houses and takes forever these days.  Drives me potty!  I seem to have lost all patience in meno!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 12:17:39 PM »

Patience was never a strong point 4 me and things should be black or white  :D

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 03:00:50 PM »

Hi Suzysunday, am doing ok on the estradot 50 patch and Utrogestan orally, sleeping ok and hot flushes which were my worst symptom have gone.
Still have joint aches and pains but have osteoarthritis in knees anyway, so not sure HRT would cure that! Seems to help with VA as less UTI's but am on Vagifem every other night for that too.
Still have bad anxiety but have just been diagnosed with bowel cancer (fortunately treatable they have said) and having a major op in 10 days, so anxiety through the roof anyway!
In general I feel better on than off HRT, my Meno clinic Dr said I was probably one of those who would have flushes for life seeing as they hadn't gone in 12 years!!

suzysunday

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 03:44:50 PM »

Thanks Julia Dizzy.  So sorry to hear about your cancer and hope your op goes well. Your anxiety must be dreadful.   I just take ovestin for VA which works well.  I am 63 and had hot flushes for years.  Feel generally achy and below par all the time.  I don't want to put on weight or have bad side effects of hrt.  Also, contacting gp at the moment is a pain as for everyone.