Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Article in The Guardian Online, POV  (Read 1011 times)

Kathleen

Article in The Guardian Online, POV
« on: June 30, 2021, 07:15:42 PM »

Hello ladies.

I've just read the above article written by a woman who was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure at age 31. She tells the story of her menopausal symptoms and resulting fertility problems and I think her experiences will resonate with many ladies here.

Wishing you all well ladies.

K.

Nonnie1983

Re: Article in The Guardian Online, POV
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 09:49:46 PM »

Hi, can you tell me where to read this article please, is there a link? I'm new here & struggling to navigate around the site, I'm not very tech savvy! 🙈 I'm in the process of being diagnosed with POF after being told 5yrs ago I'd started perimenopause... Symptoms becoming unbearable & I'm at my whits end 😢 I've just had bloods done, gotta have them re-done in 6wks time & booked in for an ultrasound to check my ovaries. Dr said due to my history she'll be starting me on HRT regardless of results & that she just wants to rule out anything more sinister 1st...like there could be anything worse at this moment in time 😩 not sure I can wait 6/7wks for these results, I'd give anything for a decent night's kip... Headaches, really bad spotty skin, periods were getting shorter/lighter but always regular. Now I'm 3wks late & no sign of my period this month. I'm irritable, emotional, bloated, tired etc sooo fed up. Had terrible night sweats a few months ago but that's easing now. I'm 38 but feel 88 😞

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »

Hello Nonnie1983 and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I am not tech savvy either but I have just Googled ' the Guardian online menopause Premature Ovarian Failure article' and the article I was referring to popped up.

The title of the article is 'Young, hot & bothered : I was a 31 year old newlywed-and then the menopause hit'.

The writer gives a full account of her journey and I hope that you will find it interesting and helpful.

Take care.

K.

Nonnie1983

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 06:59:12 PM »

Thanks so much, I'll have a look now x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 08:25:11 PM »

Why are women leaving child birth so late  :-\  .......... when we left school we either went into College, University, into the factory then marriage = children.  If my peer group weren't pregnant by 25, they were considered old ............ I choose not to become a parent so was nagged differently which never bothered me. 

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 10:14:49 PM »

I don't think many people consider having kids in their 30s to be late these days? You still get lots who do it very young as teenagers and lots who do it in their 30s, I always think it's the 20-something parents you don't really see so much of now.
But lots of factors for those who do wait - wanting to live some life before settling down for 20 years... financial pressure... leaving university with huge £30k debts... unaffordable rent/house prices meaning you have to work for longer to earn a living wage... not being able to pay the bills on statutory maternity pay alone... blokes in their 20s being mostly awful...

Nonnie1983

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 07:14:40 AM »

I'm relieved that I had my family young, especially now being diagnosed with P.O.F at 38...I had all my children by the time I was 26. I sometimes wonder if the fact I started puberty/periods at the young age of 11 is now the reason it's all beginning to end now 🤔 however I've now learnt there maybe some hereditary factor as an Aunt & paternal Gran both went through an early menopause too...
One of my Sister's is expecting her 1st child at the age of 30 & although I'm so happy for her, I couldn't help thinking it may be harder the later you leave it what with all the sleepless nights etc.. I'm now looking forward to having a bit of freedom & enjoying spending quality time with my hubby. Couldn't imagine having anymore kids 10yrs ago, never mind now 🙈 each to there own though eh x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 08:19:51 AM »

I supposed after the War people were encouraged to have children to rebuild the birth rates.  My friend waited and said that she was more mature in handling the temper tantrums etc..  She was 34 and had 2 quickly.  My Aunt was in her 40s  :o .......... menopause caught her out.

Many women didn't work from home full time either .......... it was usual for them to raise their family and be caretakers, having a meal ready for the man to come home to.  Nowt wrong with that either.  No blurring of guidelines so fewer rows, unless the meal wasn't on the table ?  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 09:26:48 AM »

Hello ladies.

I had my children in my thirties and felt young and fit enough to look after them!  My menopause symptoms began in my early fifties and I was post meno at fifty five which is about average I think.

Previous generations had many years of childbearing, my grandmother had her first baby in her twenties and her last in her forties.

It would be helpful if women could be warned if they were likely to experience POI so that they could plan their families. The woman who wrote the article had her early menopause confirmed by an FSH test so perhaps a GP could be persuaded to offer those on request or they could be arranged privately.

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 11:30:46 AM »

It was an interesting article.