Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: My Lips are burning  (Read 1576 times)

Lyncola

My Lips are burning
« on: June 27, 2021, 08:46:53 AM »

Hi ladies,

been a couple of weeks now, burning lips, pain in the corner when I open my mouth, when I eat anything salty? But last two days it’s worse, burning when I was in the shower. When I eat anything?
I’m using lip stuff and vaseline. Any ideas?

Thanks Lyncola

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: My Lips are burning
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 09:59:15 AM »

Change your toothpaste?  Sodium Laural Sulphate is in many products and can cause burning .   It's the chemical which causes frothing in soaps etc..

Apply something like a Vaseline lip balm stick every 30 mins., easing it into the splits so that the skin heals from the inside out.  I get very dry lips in the Winter and this works 4 me.  Salt is a healer but not in quantity [think salt mouth washes after dental treatments]

Lyncola

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 10:17:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply CLKD, I do mouth salt washes once a day as i have a odd sore throat since March. I’ve always had dry lips, but never like this. Such intense burning after eating, do your lips get that bad after eating CLKD?

I hate getting any new problems, sends me into a panic, and of course Dr Goggle says I’ll could be having a stroke.  :o Which I do think I am but I am having pain around ribs. But it’s a problem I’ve had with menopause? Comes for a couple of months then goes a couple of months?

I will look at my toothpaste

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »

It is unlikely to be a stroke!  R U able to lift both arms above your head, walk across the room without feeling dizzy, pick up and put down a cup without missing the table?

I have a lack of sensation in the lips occasionally which doesn't last.  My lips sting when dry.  Hence the 'vaseline' or 'savlon' applied regularly does help mine.  If you are using salt washes that will dry out the mouth/lips, if you think how after swimming the skin can feel dry.

Lyncola

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 08:46:31 AM »

Thanks CLKD, your right it’s definitely not a stroke. But as I sit here 2 hours after dinner and my lips are burning. Got a special moisturising lip cream on them.
I’ve made a doctors appointment tomorrow, to see if’s it related to my doctor doubling my facial pain medication.
I will let you know how I get on. And I’m not sure if my daughter will make it up to Queensland now? We might be going into lockdown. I’m afraid our stupid government have been very slow with vacations  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 09:52:43 AM »

I see that Sydney are in difficulty?

Does the burning sensation last for very long?  I had a banana yesterday, again I was aware  >:( which meant it was too ripe.

Lyncola

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 06:10:35 AM »

I would say the burning can last for minutes or hours. And we have gone into lockdown, 5 cases and we are in lockdown for 3 days.

Saw my doctor and she wants me to stop my facial pain medication for 5-7 days. I hate to think how bad it will get. Haven’t been without medication since December. And when I was waiting for the new medication to work I was over 100 headaches and facial pain pre day  :'(

At least I will have my daughters to hopefully distract me. If I find the pain to much, I will go back and see my doctor

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 07:42:58 AM »

It usually takes about 20 mins B4 the burning in my gum line recedes. 

Hopefully after a couple of days without your pain relief you should know if there is a connection.  Ask B4 you stop what the GP intends to do if it is causing the burning? 

Lyncola

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 08:38:44 AM »

In five days if the burning is gone, I’m to go back on the low dose which is 25mg. I’m on 50 at the moment. If I’ve still got the burning it means it’s not the medication which I’ll assume I can go back to 50mg, and to see her, so we can work out what’s causing it.

I’m just over a hour of missing my dose and I’m already got lots of headaches and facial pain :'(

It’s going to be a long 5 days. She did say 5-7 days but I don’t think I can go that long  :'(

Postmeno3

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 09:02:45 AM »

You may be deficient in certain minerals or vitamins. Is it possible to get tests for this where you are to help identify any specific deficiencies? This could be a useful starting point for you. Citrus foods should be avoided, likewise spicy also meantime. Notice what aggravates and avoid, but note it down if you can.
There may be a hormonal link as nerve-endings can be altered in menopause meaning different messages are sent to the brain. This might be contributed to by medications for your existing facial issues.
The main thing is to try not to worry, not easy I know. Notice what your mind is doing when eating for example. Is it providing you with dreading thoughts? If so, try to redirect it by concentrating on the pleasant sensory experiences of eating/drinking in the moment. This might retrain the catastrophising as to what might come later? Try to focus on what is happening in pleasant ways currently instead. Hope this helps you out a wee bit! Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 10:31:53 AM by Postmeno3 »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 10:21:33 AM »

Also keep hydrated.  Headaches can be caused when the body is dry.

I would ring 2 C what the next step might B, ask her to send an e-mail with her thoughts.

.... and breath.  Tension can cause your symptoms. 

Harmony

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 11:13:23 AM »

I'm not making light of it, it must be horrible, but my first thought was that you meant your labia were burning - seeing as it's a menopause forum! 😁

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 11:23:13 AM »

We do meander a bit  ;)

Lyncola

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 09:26:33 AM »

Harmony  ;D  ;D I wonder when I wrote the title if someone would think I was talking about vagina lips.

Well I stopped my medication last night and the facial pain and headaches was bad, seems better today. My lips seem a bit better today too. My doctor did mention I could be low on B12, so that would be my next step. I drink lots of water, on a bad day 2 litres good day 3 litres. Citrus fruit gets eaten on a daily basis as we have orange and mandarin trees. Plus there’s not many fruit I can eat, and I’m having a IBS flare up at the moment. I don’t seem any worse after eating them, salty chips is a different story.

My daughter April arrived here today from Melbourne, so it’s lovely have both my girls at home while we are in this three day lockdown.