Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Benefits of HRT - What's Your Experience?  (Read 2355 times)

Lamplighter

Benefits of HRT - What's Your Experience?
« on: June 20, 2021, 12:56:31 PM »

Thought it might be a good idea to list the benefits of taking HRT as actually experienced by us – as a bit of a counter to all the negatives we have to suffer.

So here’s my experiences of the benefits of taking HRT, not in any order of priority:

Very few hot flushes
Pressure incontinence almost under control
Eyes no longer dry and gritty
Nose and mouth and throat no longer dry
Vagina more moist (but not enough to extend to vulval area so bit more progress there please!)
Anus no longer so dry that it felt like walking around with something stuck up there (sorry if TMI)
Skin plumper and more supple and looking healthier (in fact during my first round of HRT some five years post menopause, I never looked better)
Hair thicker shinier and less brittle
Fingernails no longer splitting and breaking
Toenails softer, no longer like horn
Itchiness because of dry skin all over much less and skin no longer pinching when leaning against things like car seat
Lips getting plumper so gap that caused mouth breathing at night closed up again – also the cosmetic aspect of not having thin compressed lips
Muscle pain gone
Joint pain and difficulty moving various joints mostly resolved
Peeing straight again, rather than all over tops of legs and buttocks  :neutral:

What it’s not helped with is forgetfulness and memory loss, plus my feet are still nearly two sizes bigger than they have been all my life.

I wasn’t aware of mood swings or increased anxiety with menopause so can’t say that it’s done anything on that front.

My regime has been: five years on Nuvelle continuous 2/10 started five years after menopause, it was discontinued end of 2018 whence began my quest to find a suitable substitute.  After much trial and error over two and a half years, for the last two months I’ve been on 3 pumps Oestrogel and oral Utrogestan 100 continuous, with resultant reduction in most menopausal symptoms.  I’m now 65.

I’d be interested to read of others’ experiences with the benefits of HRT, and also what regime you’re on.

LL  :parti:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 02:06:30 PM by Lamplighter »

Wannabewell

Re: Benefits of HRT - What's Your Experience?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 03:00:19 PM »

This is a great post  :)

It’s really helpful to read of the benefits that you have experienced to date. That gives me hope.  I have just started my first ever HRT (Oestrogel 2 pumps daily, Utrogestan 200mg day’s 15-26 monthly).  I’m on day 10 Oestrogel.

So far:
Depression and mood greatly improved but likely too soon to say, fingers crossed.
Less allergies up to now, I’m normally really bad.

Too soon to say about other issues but it will be interesting to see what my progress is like.

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 03:33:46 PM »

Thanks for letting us know about the benefits of HRT.

If I was to take it I would want it to control my low mood and anxiety which are my main concerns.  If it's not going to help with this then there's no point in me taking it.

Karine

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 04:50:03 PM »

I am not divorced - which I probably would be without it. I wouldn't live with me as I was then.

EllaAurora

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 05:18:55 PM »

Good idea to focus on the positives for a change. Initially, HRT actually seemed to solve all the issues for me, and the first 6mo was just feeling great. Then I had a rebound a few months ago (presumably my own oestrogen dropped to a very low level in the background), and new issues emerged. While I'm still struggling, there's definitely progress since I've increased the gel (currently taking Oestrogel 1.5-2 pumps pm/1 pump am and Utrogestan 200mg days 15-26).

- Sleep has improved -sleeping especially well during Utro phase, but also most nights on Oestrogel only are relatively OK. At least compared to 2-3 months ago when I had nights without sleeping at all and felt absolutely horrible.
- Body feels less dry overall and skin is better.
- Heart arrhythmias/palpitations have eased. I'm so thankful for this as I'm able to do exercise again, e.g. running, which I had to pause due to the symptoms. I was thoroughly examined by cardiologist and heart was confirmed to be healthy. During recent weeks the tachycardia episodes and extra beats have almost completely disappeared so that has made a significant improvement on the quality of life.
- No hot flushes.

- Mood is also somewhat better, though it fluctuates a lot between days and even within the same day. But at least there are some good days and moments in between, which gives me hope. Anxiety is still lingering, though, so I'm hoping one day that will go too. Based on comments here, it seems to be the last one to go -physical symptoms appear easier to treat. The strange thing with anxiety for me is that it's always worse in the morning and day, gradually subsiding towards the evening and at the end of day, I'm usually almost back to normal. I haven't figured what drives this, but it seems very consistent. Anyone else having the same pattern and any idea what might cause it?

Grheliz1

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 05:34:51 PM »

Flat mood largely gone.
Sense of adrenaline just as I'm falling asleep, making me very alert largely gone.
No night sweats.
Insomnia reduced.
Sore joints largely now improved.

If I muck up a dose (not rubbing oestrogel properly) I can feel symptoms trying to come back so it's definitely the HRT that's improving everything.

Lamplighter

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 06:15:17 PM »

Thanks ladies for the replies  :)

Wannabewell - not bad improvements for ten days!  Hopefully the longer you use it, the more benefits you'll experience.

KarineT - I couldn't comment on anxiety and low mood as I just didn't notice any change one way or the other, but I gather from reading posts on this forum that HRT does help with the emotional side of menopause as well.

Sheila99 - not sure you meant it that way but I did laugh on reading your post.  I wouldn't mind at all if HRT gave me a personality transplant, so far that's not happening, more's the pity.  If anything I find anger to be more of the mood thing with me (as well as low level anxiety and depression) but can't really relate it to menopause.

EllaAurora
- sounds like you're experiencing some majorly positive benefits, way to go.  I forgot about tachycardic type symptoms - but now that I think about it, that started up in recent months for me - not sure if it's post meno related or not.  As for anxiety diminishing towards the end of the day, I find something similar - not just anxiety but depression and various other emotional states as well - something to do with having been more and more distracted during the day with doing things so that by the time evening comes it's all reached a sort of equilibrium (I find it's actually quite difficult to sustain negative feelings when you're being active, which is just as well).  But that's just me guessing, if it's happening for you consistently every day, that seems to point to something else.  Maybe someone else has a more informed idea as to what.

Grheliz1 - Interesting that even a small change (getting the dose a bit wrong) can affect the symptoms.  I suppose there's something to be said for oral or patch delivery as that's very precise.  I'm always terrified that I'm putting the gel on wrongly or in the wrong place or not spreading it enough - but it's still early days for me on this type of HRT to be able to monitor it so well.  Glad for you that those symptoms have abated  :)

LL

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »

Hello ladies.

Since being back on HRT after an eighteen month break ( which I bitterly regret Btw) I have mainly noticed an improvement in my sleep. In all honesty I didn't have insomnia or dreadful night sweats but I did wake once a night to use the bathroom. Now I sleep through no matter how much I have drunk before bedtime. Some daytime flushes were returning but now they have stopped. Moods are still a big problem for me but during my break I was crying a lot every day and that has definitely improved.

The reason I asked for HRT originally was because I had experienced the horrible internal shaking sensation that many women report. I tolerated it for six months but when it showed no sign of easing I asked for HRT. Unfortunately I still have these sensations but they are much less intense and when I am distracted, when for example I am talking to you lovely ladies, I don't notice them at all.

I summary, HRT has relieved all the symptoms that I had with the exception of mood swings and anxiety and I am hoping that as time goes on even these will disappear.

Ella Aurora - I have exactly the same mood pattern as you! I have yet to figure out the reason behind it but I also noticed that when I woke in the night, or indeed early morning, I always felt calm. It is usually later in the morning the fun starts and like you I have good and bad times during the day. I am also often back to normal a few hours before bed. This pattern is a mystery and a very frustrating one at that!

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 06:47:16 PM »

Vaginal atrophy has been helped enormously with localised treatment - 'ovestin' - after intermittent urine infection-type symptoms of a constant need to pee + ABs; about 3/4 attacks in 2 years; my GP recommended appropriate VA treatment.  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there and without treatment, it would have become worse and quite frankly, I couldn't have lived with the symptoms.

Lamplighter

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 08:01:32 PM »

Thanks Kathleen and CLKD for replying, much appreciated  :)

Kathleen, I gather from reading posts on these forums that menopausal related emotional issues are the last thing that HRT helps with, but help it does apparently, so hang in there and hopefully it will work its magic on that too.

CLKD - OUCH!  Razor blades is a very graphic description and I'm jolly glad you've had help with that.  And yes, before this last lot of HRT I'm taking started to kick in, the thought often crossed my mind that though what was 'wrong' with me wasn't in any way physically 'life-threatening', I sure as hell had no intention of spending the rest of my life trying to cope with it.  Or not, as the case happened to be.  The phrase quality of life struck me as a mockery - where's the quality with all these 'little' things constantly undermining basic physical wellbeing and comfort?  Ok I'll put my soap box away now...   :cuss:

LL

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 08:13:52 PM »

I suggest 'quality of Life' to give to GPs who won't consider a) it isn't menopause, 'you are too young'; b) to tell GPs that we expect at any age to be able to enjoy Life!  Also GPs are that: they are not able to know everything that is available !

Robin

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 06:11:54 AM »

Me too Avalon

Nas

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 08:15:51 AM »

Sadly none. Currently bleeding to death with patches and seriously contemplating quitting HRT since no regime suits me 😥😥😥

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 10:16:25 AM »

Oh Nas - has your GP given you anything to ease the bleeding? 

Nas

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 12:36:31 PM »

Sadly no CLKD.
I’m on patch and utrogestan under Chelsea and Westminster. GP does not prescribe as I have had breast cancer. That regime has been a disaster. Sandrena is now waiting to be picked up and I really don’t want to rock the boat with a new regime when my body is in such a mess 😥😥
Pages: [1] 2