Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How to organise a scan of your lining?  (Read 1154 times)

Gilla999

How to organise a scan of your lining?
« on: June 19, 2021, 05:41:24 PM »

Could anyone share with me how I would organise a regular scan of my lining to check all is ok when on HRT? I realise I need to go privately - just not sure where to start!

sheila99

Re: How to organise a scan of your lining?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 06:02:53 PM »

If you can't find anything with google maybe try your surgery. The place I went to for my nhs scan did private work too.

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 06:31:07 PM »

Could anyone share with me how I would organise a regular scan of my lining to check all is ok when on HRT? I realise I need to go privately - just not sure where to start!
Why do you need to go privately?
The NHS do this.
I have abnormal bleeding, it started in 2018, I bottled out of getting checked but felt guilty so I went for a check, scan showed thickened lining, just slight, hysteroscopy showed nothing.
2019-Bleeds returned GP lowered oestrogen from 100-75, all well except for some non problematic night sweats.
bleeds returned still and I changed to gel 50mcg.
Went back to GP, another scan - no thickness and hospital happy to scan me every 6 months if problem persists.
April 2021 GP ordered another scan - fibroids, now awaiting appointment for gynaecologist.
First stop - see your GP

Gilla999

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 06:35:37 PM »

Thanks Dandelion - I guess because I'm not having abnormal bleeding I didn't think they would organise it for me. I am struggling very much with the Utrogestan part of my HRT (any increase in Prog seems to trigger my symptoms, even my natural Prog) so ideally I want to take as little of it as I possibly can for the shortest duration, but I obviously want to be safe!! So I don't mind paying for a scan every couple of months to check all is ok. I don't really know how to explain all that to my useless GP without getting shouted at!

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 06:42:21 PM »

Thanks Dandelion - I guess because I'm not having abnormal bleeding I didn't think they would organise it for me. I am struggling very much with the Utrogestan part of my HRT (any increase in Prog seems to trigger my symptoms, even my natural Prog) so ideally I want to take as little of it as I possibly can for the shortest duration, but I obviously want to be safe!! So I don't mind paying for a scan every couple of months to check all is ok. I don't really know how to explain all that to my useless GP without getting shouted at!
I was going to ask you if you were having abnormal bleeding as that is the only reason I went to get checked, if no abnormal bleeds I would not have got checked.

I take utrogestan. What symptoms do you get?

I'm no expert on amounts but we do need it to oppose oestrogen and I would guess, if you are having no troubles with bleeds, you could maybe talk to your GP about options on how to stay safe rather than fork out for private scans.

If your GP shouts at you, can you see another? A shouting GP is not a mature professional GP, I know I am autistic, but I requested the GP I felt good with see me all the time and she was happy to. You might have to wait if they don't have an appointment with the GP of your choice, but a little wait for a good GP is better than a shouty GP.

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 07:13:04 PM »

Hi Gilla999, have a look online for private hospitals near you (eg Nuffield, Spire, BMI) they may have a section listing prices for procedures offered.  If not you can usually email or ring them for the price & to make an appointment.

NHS usually won't scan unless there is unscheduled bleeding or some other reason to suspect all's not well.
Wx

Gilla999

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 06:27:28 AM »

Thanks so much Wrensong, that's great - I'll do that!

laszla

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 07:18:13 PM »

I also have been given an NHS scan appointment via my GP and I don't have any extra curricular bleeding (I do take less than the prescribed amount of utrogestan though and my GP knows this which is why they referred me for scan).

Gilla999

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 06:17:01 AM »

Excellent thank you laszla - maybe I'm going to tell them that then, although after getting shouted at last time by one of the GPs at my surgery for organising a finger **** blood test (I ended up having to make a complaint about him) I'm a bit nervous!

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 08:49:05 AM »

Up to you of course but perhaps be a little cautious telling them you're not taking the recommended dose. There was a post on here, not quite the same as she'd taken none at all for a few months, but her gp refused to prescribe unless she had a mirena. If your doctor's an arse he can make things difficult.

Gilla999

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 02:21:27 PM »

Oh good point Sheila!! Ok - I will word it very carefully then. The interesting thing is that my insomnia disappeared as soon as I stopped taking the Utrogestan (even though I was only doing so vaginally). Feel totally fine now I've stopped. I've also realised that even pre HRT I was always symptomatic with the insomnia and subsequent anxiety when my own Prog started rising (ie. After day 14). So I am definitely intolerant to it... I just wish I knew what options that left me with!

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 05:59:49 PM »

If you have to get a private scan I imagine a private hospital might be expensive but I have used Ultrasound direct which is cheap and as minusminnie said - is nationwide. Although my non-standard (long cycle) regime is with doc approval nevewtheless they have defined pathways for when they can refer for a scan these days - much stricter than it used to be so you might find it difficult to get one - though worth a try if doc approves your limited prog regime on account of prog intolerance.

Hurdity x

Gilla999

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 07:25:10 PM »

Thank you very much Hurdity xx

Grheliz1

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 08:45:02 AM »

Newson Health in Stratford do private scans. I think mine was £195.