Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Ovestin burning?  (Read 1367 times)

juwi

Ovestin burning?
« on: June 24, 2021, 07:49:31 AM »

I’m in my fourth week of Ovestin cream and although I think it is starting to help with the VA and urinary symptoms, the last few nights that I’ve applied the cream (internally and externally) I have had the most awful burning sensation inside my vagina - it seems to settle the next day but then flares up again when I apply again. Has this happened to anyone else?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ovestin burning?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 08:45:28 AM »

Is it in a single spot, I have a tender spot high up on pressure.  If there is thinner skin there, it will be more sensitive.

MayB try 'ky jelly' on that area? or 'sylc', 'savlon' or 'yes' products.  Avoiding the ovestin - it mayB that you are catching that area with the applicator so perhaps apply with the finger?

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 09:21:41 AM »

Not everyone gets on with Ovestin. I didn't. Maybe try something else, such as Vagifem internally and the weaker generic Estriol Cream externally. Alternatively, you could try reining back a bit with Ovestin, using half your usual dose, and mixing the external dose with an oil-based moisturiser such as Yes OB.
JP x

juwi

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 10:18:05 AM »

It’s not one single spot and it almost feels like thrush - although no itching or discharge. Is that possible?

Gosh - if it’s not one thing, it’s another!!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 10:31:30 AM »

Dryness.  Itches.  MayB swap to something else for a couple of nights, some react to the fillers.  How far up can you insert the applicator?  Perhaps not as high .........

Jasmine20

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 12:52:07 PM »

I can't use Ovestin at full strength internally for long without a burning sensation although I can apply it fairly liberally on the vulva without problems.

As Joaniepat says, try mixing it with some YES OB or Olive and Bee and see what happens. I've found that helps me if I feel I need a bigger dose of estriol.

I'm on Imvaggis suppositories as they contain fewer excipients and I've been fine on them although the dose is much lower than Ovestin.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 08:01:54 AM »

Morning.  Good point but it works for me ;-).  As does KY Jelly though some react to that.  It's finding something less stingy to keep the area moist.

pepperminty

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 08:48:34 AM »

Hi,

I would recommend joining the vaginal atrophy closed group on FB.

PMXX