Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Post menopause  (Read 1605 times)

Millykin

Post menopause
« on: June 06, 2021, 11:38:13 AM »

I’m looking for some advice, I’m 50 and was peri menopausal in early 40s took HRT Femoston 1/10 for few years but decided to come off it 2 years ago to see where I was at. Haven’t had a bleed for they 2 years so I’m assuming I’m post menopausal?
Now I’m finding that the flushes have went from couple a day to almost a couple every hour, anxiety, palpitations etc all kicking back in. I spoke to GP who said I could go back on HRT if I wanted, but is it worth it? Are my hormones playing about in the background? My daughter has just found out she is pregnant I’m a picking up on her hormones? She is still at home. I’m just stuck on what to do, would femoston conti low dose do the trick? I’m scared I go back on HRT just to have to come off again in a few years and feel like this. But o want to feel normal again, HELP!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post menopause
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »

Why did U stop a regime if was working?  HRT can be used for ever ;-).

Ovaries can continue to join in and hype hormones for years. 

MayB keep a mood/symptom/food diary for 3 months to chart progress then you can decide which you would like to ease first.  Let us know how you get on.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 03:17:22 PM »

There is no age limit for hrt so you shouldn't have to come off it just because of age. But if you have to stop in, say, 10 years time at least you'll have had 10 years of feeling well. As you had an early menopause it would be better to have stayed on it anyway until at least your early 50s to protect your heart and bones.

KarineT

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 03:45:39 PM »

How were you when you came off, say, a month after?  Do you think your symptoms only started kicking off exactly after 2 years post HRT?

It could be that your natural hormones were declining in the background and HRT was keeping everyghing under control.  It looks like you are postmeno now if you haven't had a period for 2 years so I can't imaging that your symptoms are caused by fluctuations but rather by a decline of your natural hormones.  HRT is artificial and it is seems that the minute one stops taking it, the symptoms kick in again.  I would like to think that symptoms subside after a while, and they should.  When we go tjrough the puberty, it's problematic but things eventually settle down.  Why can't it be the same with the menopause?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 04:06:49 PM »

H replacement T  ;)

Millykin

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 05:43:15 PM »

CLKD
I had what I know now a GP against it and sort of put the fear in me of all the negative stuff, I really wish I hadn’t stopped! I’m under a new GP who was the one who suggested taking it again.

Sheila99
This is my thoughts too, I would rather feel good now, I’m 50 have a good life lots of things to be doing but starting to feel miserable without HRT. So I can stay on this for a long time if needed?

Karine T
I was fine for say just over a year after I stopped and slowly since say October last year I have noticed little things creeping back in! For the past few months It feels like a tap has been turned on emptied my body of oestrogen and each day is just getting worse.
So yes I reckon I’m post menopause if 2 years have passed and it will be a different HRT I need.
I think my mind is made up and I will be making that call tomorrow.
CLKD I get you I’m only replacing what I should have.

Thanks ladies for you replies, really helpful x

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 08:19:38 PM »

The guidelines used to be to stop at 60 but now there's no age limit. There are women in their 60s and 70s on this site still taking it.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 10:36:09 PM »

The guidelines used to be to stop at 60 but now there's no age limit. There are women in their 60s and 70s on this site still taking it.

Yes I'm still on it at 67 and I intend to stay on it as long as possible.

Taz x  :)

Millykin

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 03:37:09 AM »

Taz.
Can I ask are you on tablet, patch, gel? X

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 07:13:30 AM »

I'm on a Evorel patch. I am only on oestrogen though as I've had a hysterectomy due to prolapse so I don't need the protection of progesterone.

Taz x

daisie

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 07:32:25 AM »

hi taz what dose are you on x

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 05:55:17 AM »

hi taz what dose are you on x

Hi. I'm on Evorel 50.

Taz x

Postmeno3

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 06:13:25 AM »

Hi Taz.
Do you feel this dosage keeps things fairly even for you? Did you start at that or increase as 25 was insufficient?
Thanks!

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 10:10:21 AM »

I started on Evorel 50 when I was 53 and it has always been sufficient to keep hot flushes and muscle aches and pains at bay. I'm 67 now and the GP did suggest that maybe I should think about decreasing the dose when I get to 70. I also have to add in Vagifem for dryness and bladder problems so I'm not keen on reducing!

Taz x