Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Deterioration on changing from 50mcg gel to 50mcg patch  (Read 816 times)

Dandelion

Deterioration on changing from 50mcg gel to 50mcg patch
« on: June 19, 2021, 11:43:15 AM »

I have abnormal uterine bleeding which I am waiting to see a gynaecologist for as my last transvaginal ultrasound revealed fibroids.

I asked my doctor if I could use same dose patch instead of gel for convenience and started the patches on Sunday.

I put the gel on my arms, one arm has a lot of scar tissue.

A few days later the bleeds got worse, but most troubling is the anxiety which has got much worse.

I am also on conti utrogestan and have been for a while.

My oestrogen has been reduced twice before which seemed ok, flushes gradually improving over the years.

I am wondering if I am getting too much oestrogen in the same dose patch?
I know oestrogen feeds fibroids and reducing it did help bleeds for a while.

Does anyone know if asking my doc for lower dose patch would decrease anxiety?
Does anyone have any personal experience of a decrease in anxiety after reducing oestrogen?

The bleeding is under investigation so I’m happy it’s being seen to but I can’t cope with this increased anxiety I dread getting out of bed.

EDIT I put the patch in the correct place, I started off on patches.
Thanks

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 11:59:19 AM by Dandelion »

Dandelion

Hope no one minds the bump
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 03:08:31 PM »

I'm due to see Gynaecologist re fibroids but I don't think I can bear not wanting to get out of bed, until I see them, as I don't have the appointment yet with just booking recently.

sheila99

Re: Deterioration on changing from 50mcg gel to 50mcg patch
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 06:15:12 PM »

As your patch is oestrogen only you could try cutting a piece off and see what happens. My anxiety was caused by oestrogen deficiency but too much and too little oestrogen can produce very similar symptoms. Presumably you've checked the dose really is equivalent? You may well absorb differently but what you're experiencing seems a bit unusual.

Dandelion

Re: Deterioration on changing from 50mcg gel to 50mcg patch
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 06:26:45 PM »

As your patch is oestrogen only you could try cutting a piece off and see what happens. My anxiety was caused by oestrogen deficiency but too much and too little oestrogen can produce very similar symptoms. Presumably you've checked the dose really is equivalent? You may well absorb differently but what you're experiencing seems a bit unusual.
Hi Sheila and thanks for your reply.
In what way is my experience unusual?
I'm confused that lack of oestrogen can both cause anxiety and alleviate it, I thought it was the sedating progesterone that alleviated anxiety.
I believed one pump gel to be 25mcg patch and 2 pumps (what I used) to be 50mcg equivalent, is this not so.
I get you about absorption.
I think I chose the patch, not only because you only need to remember it twice a week but also because it delivered a consistent amount of oestrogen.

Now that you have said that your anxiety was caused by oestrogen deficiency, I am nervous of becoming more anxious and negative if I cut a bit off.
I don't mean to dismiss your suggestion, it's just that today has been spoilt by this low mood.
On Thursday night I was singing, my mood generally improves just in time for bed, which is inconvenient.

Dandelion

bump
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 03:30:56 PM »

Thanks Sheila for your reply, anyone else any experiences or input.

My night sweats don't trouble me, I get them all year round, no more flushes, as fibroids signify too much oestrogen, and night sweats indicate too little, why am I getting them, it seems contradictory.