Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Advice needed on going from HRT tablets to patches.  (Read 1136 times)

Drewsands

• First Flush
Advice needed on going from HRT tablets to patches.
« on: June 18, 2021, 03:28:12 PM »

Hi guys, it has been a long time since I have posted on here. I have always found this forum and site gives very sensible advice and feedback. Here goes:
I am now 63 and have happily been on HRT for thirteen years. During that time my dosage has slowly been reduced and I am now on the lowest dosage tablet (Femeston Conti 0.5mg/2.5mg). I needed a repeat prescription and thought now would be a good time to use patches instead as this would reduce the risk of DVT. That was my plan……
We moved house a couple of years ago which meant new GP. Today I had a face to face consultation in which the new GP was asking my reasons for continuing on HRT, he was very obviously against prescribing it particularly to an over 60 woman, and why he should prescribe it.  I felt annoyed that I had to convince him of the benefits to me both physically & mentally. It is my body so my choice surely?
The outcome was that he is going to prescribe Evorel Conti 25mg patch but said I needed progesterone in a tablet form too (I have my womb). He personally did not know which one so is going to get back to me (yes, you read that correctly)…..he did not know. As a result of this I do not have much confidence in his knowledge of the various types and strengths of HRT.
My question is surely there is a combined patch that is similar in dosage to the Femeston Conti I am on now? Any advice would be very helpful.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice needed on going from HRT tablets to patches.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 03:30:37 PM »

Your GP is being cautious and admits he 'doesn't know'.  Ask outright how he feels about HRT for women over 60, there is no reason not to start treatment if necessary.  If he's new GP I would be concerned if he didn't ask questions, how is he going to gauge your requirements otherwise  :-\.

Hopefully someone will be along who knows more about HRT - in the mean time, put the medication name into the search box to C if anything pops up that might help?

jaycee

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 04:14:39 PM »

Isn't Evoral Conti both E and P i was on them for a while, andwere a combined   patch as far as i can remember

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »

Isn't Evoral Conti both E and P i was on them for a while, andwere a combined   patch as far as i can remember
  Evorel Conti is 50 mg not 25. Only comes in 1 strength. Definitely a combined patch. I have been on it for just over 2 years.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 08:07:39 PM »

What he means (or should mean) is Evorel 25 mcg which is a stand alone oestrogen patch with which you would need a progestogen as he said.

Off licence some docs say it is OK to halve an evorel conti patch (Dr Currie herself once said this was OK, in the magazine, and I think possibly also on here a while back now). This would give you the combination you need.(ie oestrogen and progestogen).

Femoston 0.5 mg tab is a very low dose but  its difficult to compare as it also depends on how well you absorb the different products?

If you want to go for separate patch and progestogen then yes Evorel 25 + Provera (or utrogestan). The progestogens are here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x